[Owl_objectivists] Re: Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows: An introduction to carnism

  • Monart Pon
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2012

      Melanie Joy, PhD: "Carnism: The Psychology of Eating Meat"

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vWbV9FPo_Q

      --- In Owl_objectivists@yahoogroups.com, Monart Pon <monart@...> wrote:

      > [Another question to ask the common objectivists:]
      >

      > Why we love dogs, eat pigs, and wear cows: An
      introduction to carnism

      > Melanie Joy, PhD
      >
      > 2010
      >

      > [From the dust jacket:]
      >
      > "We don't see meat eating as we do vegetarianism--as a
      choice, based on a set of assumptions about animals, our world, and ourselves. Rather, we see it as a given, the 'natural' thing to do. We eat animals without thinking about what we are doing and why because the belief system that underlies this behavior is invisible. This invisible belief system is what I call Carnism." --from the book

      > "Our willingness to eat animals--and only some animals
      at that--says social psychologist and professor Melanie Joy, is enabled only through blocking out what we know--about their capacity for consciousness and their ability to feel pain; about the inhumane husbandry practiced all over the world simply to satisfy our taste for foods we don't need in our diet; about the health risks involved in eating flesh of any kind; and on and on. In other words, we continue to eat meat and fish only out of a seemingly intransigent denial.

      > "Sure to spark conversation, controversy, and debate,
      this book challenges readers not only to own up to the choices they make each and every time they consume animal-based foods but moreover to change the way we think about food forever."