Reports of my death...

  • Nathan Hawking
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2006
      REPORTS OF MY DEATH...

      December 2005:

      During 2005, I resolved to take WTT in a new
      direction.

      In my view, as the decades of this century
      unfold, three issues will increasingly dominate
      philosophy and the human experience:

      * the emergence of technologically-achieved
      human immortality;

      * vastly improved understanding of the nature of
      human thought and consciousness;

      * emergent human nature--not as a product of
      accidental, evolutionary process but as a
      product of human design.

      These are some components of a view that
      may be called transhumanism. As I see it,
      any philosophy that does not embrace trans-
      humanism is destined to become an intel-
      lectual backwater.

      Objectivism, it has been said, is a philosophy
      for living. But to remain a living philosophy,
      it must become a philosophy for living FOREVER,
      with all that entails.

      ...HAVE BEEN EXAGGERATED. BUT ONLY SLIGHTLY.

      February 17, 2006:

      Life decided to take ME in a new direction; I was
      diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.

      Needless to say, though, this has brought a whole
      new focus to my thinking about mortality.

      MY PLANS

      * There are several new articles on
      www.wethethinking.com, and forum topics!
      More to come this week. Check it out.

      * This week I'm setting up a new website,
      www.wethedead.com

      It should be operational by Sunday or Monday,
      March 6, 2006.

      We the Dead is NOT a cancer or terminal illness
      support site.

      Rather, I am writing a series of brief and
      lighthearted narratives and commentaries based
      upon my experiences and
      the /philosophy/history/future of death in
      general--and if these do not leave you LAUGHING,
      I will turn in my artistic license.

      I'll continue so long as I have the strength,
      interest, and cognitive ability to do so--
      weeks, months, who knows?--and so long as
      my sense of humor remains intact.

      Well-wishes in general are appreciated, but
      posts about "alternative medicine" or
      contemporary "beating cancer" themes are
      discouraged.

      We the Dead is about beating DEATH itself!

      * Next week I hope to have the new, streamlined We
      the Thinking online.

      Precisely how these two vehicles, WTD and WTT,
      will complement each other, and how they will
      evolve and survive, is something of a mystery
      to me. I hope you'll join me in the journey
      and in the discovery.

      All those previously registered as members of
      We the Thinking will be in the We the Dead
      database as members. These sites, however,
      are independent, and henceforth will require
      independent registration and login for new
      members.

      Nathan Hawking, Mortal-in-Chief
      It's about the ideas.
      www.wethethinking.com