Enough Already

  • Ed Minchau
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2003
      Environmentalist Bill McKibben has had enough, and he thinks you've
      had enough too. That's why he wants to stop the development of
      biotechnology, nanotechnology, and robotics in their tracks.
      McKibben fears that, if unchecked, these technologies will transform
      human life ruinously. "These are the most anti-choice technologies
      anyone's ever thought of," he insists (the emphasis is his). "In
      widespread use, they will first rob parents of their liberty, and
      then strip freedom from every generation that follows. In the end,
      they will destroy forever the possibility of meaningful choice."

      http://www.reason.com/0310/cr.rb.enough.shtml
    • Technotranscendence
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
        On Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:21 PM Ed Minchau spider_boris@...
        wrote:
        > Environmentalist Bill McKibben has had enough, and he thinks you've
        > had enough too. That's why he wants to stop the development of
        > biotechnology, nanotechnology, and robotics in their tracks.
        > McKibben fears that, if unchecked, these technologies will transform
        > human life ruinously. "These are the most anti-choice technologies
        > anyone's ever thought of," he insists (the emphasis is his). "In
        > widespread use, they will first rob parents of their liberty, and
        > then strip freedom from every generation that follows. In the end,
        > they will destroy forever the possibility of meaningful choice."
        >
        > http://www.reason.com/0310/cr.rb.enough.shtml

        By this reckoning, I suppose things like refrigeration, dentistry, and
        CPR also robs people of their liberty. Imagine that we are now forced
        to choose between putting stuff in the fridge or letting it rot or
        having crooked teeth or getting them straightened or watching someone
        die or saving him! O what a brave new world!

        Dan
      • Ed Minchau
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2003
          --- In Starship_Forum@yahoogroups.com, "Technotranscendence"
          <neptune@s...> wrote:
          > On Tuesday, November 04, 2003 12:21 PM Ed Minchau spider_boris@y...
          > wrote:
          > > Environmentalist Bill McKibben has had enough, and he thinks
          you've
          > > had enough too. That's why he wants to stop the development of
          > > biotechnology, nanotechnology, and robotics in their tracks.
          > > McKibben fears that, if unchecked, these technologies will
          transform
          > > human life ruinously. "These are the most anti-choice
          technologies
          > > anyone's ever thought of," he insists (the emphasis is his). "In
          > > widespread use, they will first rob parents of their liberty, and
          > > then strip freedom from every generation that follows. In the
          end,
          > > they will destroy forever the possibility of meaningful choice."
          > >
          > > http://www.reason.com/0310/cr.rb.enough.shtml
          >
          > By this reckoning, I suppose things like refrigeration, dentistry,
          and
          > CPR also robs people of their liberty. Imagine that we are now
          forced
          > to choose between putting stuff in the fridge or letting it rot or
          > having crooked teeth or getting them straightened or watching
          someone
          > die or saving him! O what a brave new world!
          >
          > Dan

          Exactly, it is absurd. And yet, it is consistent with what Robert
          Bidinotto has been writing about at http://www.econot.com and with
          what Rand wrote in Atlas Shrugged. At the heart of the
          environmentalist movement resides a hatred of mankind.

          Ed