The Blue Pill Choice

  • Technotranscendence
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2003
      The Blue Pill Choice
      by John Carter McKnight

      In The Matrix, the hero chooses the red pill, symbolizing awareness and
      the struggle for human freedom. Most of the space community, along with
      much of our society as a whole, however, has enthusiastically embraced
      the blue pill alternative - willful ignorance and life in a fantasyland.
      Only by consistently "just saying no" to those blue pill choices will we
      get into space to stay.

      The Matrix, and its current sequel, The Matrix Reloaded, portrays the
      real world as a place of struggle - grubby, unglamorous, dangerous and
      challenging.

      The computer-generated fantasy world of the Matrix, by contrast, is a
      place where skills can be instantly uploaded rather than slowly
      mastered, where pesky laws of nature can be circumvented, and where
      style points definitely matter.

      It is, in short, utopia for a people without patience or concern for
      consequences, who want their cake without the calorie burden of actually
      eating it.

      For the rest of this story, see
      http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-03zm.html