Objectivists and Space Settlers

  • Monart Pon
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2001
      When I was moderator of the Objectivist forum at WeTheLiving (OWL),
      http://www.wetheliving.com/, I initiated a discussion about creating a free
      country in space.

      For those who haven't read it, I want to quote the thread on this forum in a
      series of posts, in order to provide a glimpse of the kind of exchanges between
      objectivists and space settlers on the subject of living in space, and to
      stimulate discussion here as well.

      Monart
      ~ * ~

      The thread follows and continues in the next post:

      Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:45:10 -0600
      From: Monart Pon <monartpon@...>
      To: objectivism@...

      Daniel Ust wrote (4/16):

      > ...there's no point person like Perigo in Australia -- someone who has
      > already made a splash, and is well placed, charismatic, and articulate there.
      > Find someone like that and I think you'll make a big dent in Australia.
      > Then we might wind up with a Southern Hemispheric movement.:)

      You're right, a well-positioned, inspiring, philosophical leader is vital to a
      strong, progressive movement. Definitely, New Zealand is a country to watch and

      support. Its small size makes it more likely to change to a freer country
      sooner, if the movement continues to grow.

      This brings up a more general question: How to find a better country to
      live in? Is it to change the one we're in? Groan... It might take forever. Is it

      to create a new one somewhere? Where? All the countries and suitable lands are
      governed by statists. Well, how about creating one from scratch -- where no-one
      is living now -- like up in FreeSpace? And what does it take to do that? Would
      it be a better life?

      Actually, I think it might be easier to create a whole new country with all the
      freedom-and-reason-loving people in the world -- but in orbital FreeSpace --
      than it would be to convince the rest of the people in a country on Earth like
      New Zealand or the United States. It would be -- IF the
      libertarians/objectivists could collaborate with the startrek/spacesettler
      groups and the space entrepreneurs/investors.

      Monart