Pop Quiz on the History of Korean-American Relations

  • Technotranscendence
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Pop Quiz on the History of Korean-American Relations
      by GARY LEUPP

      (Choose the best answer. 3 points each. Answers at the end.)

      1. In 1866 the U.S. merchant ship General Sherman defied the laws of
      Korea (then pursuing a policy of strict isolation) by entering Korean
      waters, and sailing up the Taedong River towards Pyongyang to demand
      trade. What happened to the ship?

      a. It was attacked by local people and soldiers, burned, and sunk, with
      the loss of its entire crew.

      b. Its crew was politely informed that since Korea was a satrapy of
      China, and that all negotiations concerning commerce had to take place
      via Beijing.

      c. It was welcomed, and Korean officials began discussing with the
      Americans a Treaty of Amity and Commerce.

      For the rest of the quiz, see http://www.counterpunch.org/leupp1231.html

      (I got a 92. My weakest area was in the first several questions. --
      Dan)