Boarding Action Updates

  • trekcross
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 9 10:20 AM
      In the files section I have put the three versions of the Boarding
      Action I have done, Basic, Advanced and Graduate. Truth be known, not
      to much different between the later two, but I think the nice thing is
      flexability if you want to speed up some sections and take more time
      with details for others. Ie, if you want to have the initial boarding
      quick use the basic, but want the more detail of the action, use the
      advanced or graduate. I will leave these up for about a week, let
      folks mull over them, hope to hear some feed back, I already heard
      from Rat that some buddies tried it and the mechanics seem to work
      good, but waiting on feedback for some suggestions. After a week,
      will probable get it all in a polished PDF, already have a friend of
      mine working on a Cool Cover artwork.

      LL&P

      John
    • Joshua Loomis
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 9 10:28 AM
        I'm really looking forward to this.

        Also, sorry for being so incommunicado, but my life's been in a state of upheaval.  It's good upheaval, not Genesis-planet-style upheaval.  Suffice it to say things are going my way for the most part, and I am now a Microsoft Certified Professional.  :)

        Qapla!
        Josh

        --
        All that is gold does not glitter,
        Not all those who wander are lost;
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 9 4:14 PM
          We'll play this again this Sunday using the rules.
          What I'm looking to find,...
          is whether or not a boarding party will succeed
          (it's rather easy for them to fail)
          If they can, then I'll be using these rules more often.

          But if I can't get a successful boarding takeover
          after 4 or 5 times trying these rules I might be
          asking for a slight revision in favor of the team that's
          boarding.

          After all, if they always fail to succeed, its the
          same as having no boarding party rules, in that
          the answer is no, you can't successfully board
          an enemy ship

          I've played this out 2x and both times it seems
          that things are weighted toward the defenders
          too heavily.

          ~ Rat ~

[...]

          Looking for earth-friendly autos?

        • trekcross
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 9 7:48 PM
            Well, I have to say, boarding of battle hardy ships, should be rare
            and hardly used feature. Unless you have the situation where you
            have a Assault ship handy with massive amount of troops sent over, it
            should not be a easy thing. Or you have the enemy so badly beaten
            that boarding is more a cleanup. I truly see it more for anti-Pirate
            action and pirates trying to capture freighters. Anytime you saw any
            of the Enterprises Boarded, is was a supprise thing that "Oh, damn,
            we were tricked." the only true boarding I can think of is DS9 "Way
            of the Warrior" with Klingons boarding the Station.

            That being Said, it is really more of the test of creating the
            Planetary Assault System. Lot harder to self destruct your forces on
            a planet than your ship if your loosing.

            --- In StarTrekTechnology@yahoogroups.com, RatOnPier <ratonpier@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10 6:43 PM
              How about, except for Romulan Ships, a 5 phase delay from the setting
              of the Self Destruct, to the ship actualy blowing, giving the boarders
              time to either witdrawl, or capture a critical area and stop it
              themself. Any of the Three major areas can be utilized to stop it,
              either engineering, try to eject the warp core. Capture the Brige or
              Auxilery Control and try to utilize either of those to stop it.
            • trekcross
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 11 8:48 PM
                Some other thoughts that came to me:

                How a boarding ship can continue fighting while carrying on boarding
                action:

                Adjust the Yield of torpedoes. If you have a torpedo that does 20
                damage, and your enemy shield is at 12; then adjust your torpedo to
                only do 12 and roll vs Weapons officer on phaser fire to knock out
                certain systems. This way your attacking ship is not handicapped.

                Use Cargo, or regular Transporters to first beam over sonic, Flash or
                Gas Grenades before the actual boarding party. To make the Self
                destruct harder, look at the races and they systems in place.
                Klingon ships can only lock down on Captain or first Officer orders,
                if the bridge is taken out, most likely those two are out of the
                fight. Federations ships usualy have (at least at TMP Era) 3 voice
                codes to activate I belive, will have to watch III again to see. So
                again, of bridge taken, then usualy Captain, maybe first officer
                out. Engineer may be next level and probably will not have any other
                command officers in engineering to set it off.

                Anyhow, just some other ideas to throw out there.

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 12 5:25 AM
                  We had a successful Boarding in our fourth game, using the
                  basic rules. It came as a surprise because there wasn't any
                  intent to board (at that time), but it just so happened that
                  there was this one ship that wasn't quite destroyed just
                  sitting there.

                  While all previous attempts to 'forcibly' board were
                  unsucessful, this one turned out quite different. Perhaps
                  Boarding actions are more of an opportunistic thing than
                  they are an intentional thing.

                  In this scenario a Klingon D-7M, just casually beamed
                  over a couple of squads, walked right over the opposing
                  Romulans (Romulan crew was only at 22% alive), and
                  took the ship withoput incident. Very cleanly done.

                  I think the rules are sound, but that you just have to
                  pick your opportunities better than I had been doing.

                  Seems that trying to damage an enemy ship and force
                  a boarding just gives the opposing player too much
                  time to prepare for your attempt. But, if you really just
                  "catch him with his pants down" His options are too
                  limited for him to work up much of a defense. Granted,
                  its rare that you end up with an opportunity like this
                  (limited crew, weapons all damaged, no shields or
                  engine power to speak of), but when it presents itself,
                  What Klingon captain could resist the prize.

                  In this case, the prize was a V-9 Cruiser,... sweet!
                  One thing though, too bad I was playing the Romulans...!

                  :(

                  ~ Rat ~

                  wrote:

                  > We'll play this again this Sunday using the rules.
                  > What I'm looking to find,...
                  > is whether or not a boarding party will succeed
                  > (it's rather easy for them to fail)
                  > If they can, then I'll be using these rules more often.
                  >
                  > But if I can't get a successful boarding takeover
                  > after 4 or 5 times trying these rules I might be
                  > asking for a slight revision in favor of the team that's
                  > boarding.
                  >
                  > After all, if they always fail to succeed, its the
                  > same as having no boarding party rules, in that
                  > the answer is no, you can't successfully board
                  > an enemy ship
                  >
                  > I've played this out 2x and both times it seems
                  > that things are weighted toward the defenders
                  > too heavily.
                  >
                  > ~ Rat ~
                  >
                  > trekcross <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:
                  > In the files section I have put the three versions of the
                  Boarding
                  > Action I have done, Basic, Advanced and Graduate. Truth be known,
                  not
                  > to much different between the later two, but I think the nice thing
                  is
                  > flexability if you want to speed up some sections and take more
                  time
                  > with details for others. Ie, if you want to have the initial
                  boarding
                  > quick use the basic, but want the more detail of the action, use
                  the
                  > advanced or graduate. I will leave these up for about a week, let
                  > folks mull over them, hope to hear some feed back, I already heard
                  > from Rat that some buddies tried it and the mechanics seem to work
                  > good, but waiting on feedback for some suggestions. After a week,
                  > will probable get it all in a polished PDF, already have a friend
                  of
                  > mine working on a Cool Cover artwork.
                  >
                  > LL&P
                  >
                  > John
                  >

                  > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                  > Looking for earth-friendly autos?

                  Don't pick lemons.
                  See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                • Bryan Jecko
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 12 8:54 AM
                    Message
                    Just to chime in for a sec - you've gota remember that we don't see a LOT of boarding actions...in fact VERY few in the TOS era.

                    Second - even if you're dead in the water - there's a good chance you got off a distress call.  In some circumstances - you're gona wana hold out until reinforcements arrive.

                    Third - you don't want to waste a moderately damaged ship unless you HAVE to.  Just because it's been captured doesn't mean it's can't be captured BACK at a later date.

                    Fourth - the higher-ups aren't going to be too happy if you "waste" your crew.  Even the Klingons realize that to be captured with the hope of escape or rescue prevents wasting the life of well trained warriors.

                    Fifth - I draw a parallel with the modern navy.  If I remember the "Discovery" channel correctly - all navy ships have the ability to scuttle themselves if needed.  As far as I know - only a few ships have ever even beached them selves, let alone sunk them selves deliberately to prevent an enemy from capturing them.  (Not that a lot of capture event take place on the high seas anymore!)

                    Last!  Our favorite hero - Captain Kirk - didn't blow up the Enterprise just to keep the Klingons for getting her.  With no crew to worry about, he made a tactical decision eliminating the majority of his opposing force.

                    Just more food for thought.

                    wrote:

                    > We'll play this again this Sunday using the rules.
                    > What I'm looking to find,...
                    > is whether or not a boarding party will succeed
                    > (it's rather easy for them to fail)
                    > If they can, then I'll be using these rules more often.
                    >
                    > But if I can't get a successful boarding takeover
                    > after 4 or 5 times trying these rules I might be
                    > asking for a slight revision in favor of the team that's
                    > boarding.
                    >
                    > After all, if they always fail to succeed, its the
                    > same as having no boarding party rules, in that
                    > the answer is no, you can't successfully board
                    > an enemy ship
                    >
                    > I've played this out 2x and both times it seems
                    > that things are weighted toward the defenders
                    > too heavily.
                    >
                    > ~ Rat ~
                    >
                    > trekcross <no_reply@yahoogroup s.com> wrote:
                    > In the files section I have put the three versions of the
                    Boarding
                    > Action I have done, Basic, Advanced and Graduate. Truth be known,
                    not
                    > to much different between the later two, but I think the nice thing
                    is
                    > flexability if you want to speed up some sections and take more
                    time
                    > with details for others. Ie, if you want to have the initial
                    boarding
                    > quick use the basic, but want the more detail of the action, use
                    the
                    > advanced or graduate. I will leave these up for about a week, let
                    > folks mull over them, hope to hear some feed back, I already heard
                    > from Rat that some buddies tried it and the mechanics seem to work
                    > good, but waiting on feedback for some suggestions. After a week,
                    > will probable get it all in a polished PDF, already have a friend
                    of
                    > mine working on a Cool Cover artwork.
                    >
                    > LL&P
                    >
                    > John
                    >

                    > ------------ --------- --------- ---
                    > Looking for earth-friendly autos?

                    Don't pick lemons.
                    See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                  • Terry Don Shannon
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 12 12:49 PM
                      I would agree that boarding actions are, essentially, a matter of
                      opportunity. Clearly, some races, like the Romulans, will destroy
                      their vessels before allowing capture (Balance of Terror).

                      Scuttling a vessel to keep it out of enemy hands is as old as naval
                      history. German U-boat crews commonly scuttled their boats to keep
                      them out of enemy hands. Probably one of the most famous incidents
                      of this was the capture of U110 by HMS Bulldog during WWII. U110's
                      attempt at scuttling failed and the crew of Bulldog was able to
                      capture her intact (along with an Enigma cipher device which changed
                      the course of the entire war). Such seizures of warships by another
                      warship were and are uncommon. It's pretty universal that you deny
                      the enemy his prize. Bismark engaged scuttling charges to avoid
                      possible capture and to deny the British the claim that they had
                      sunk her.

                      Boarding actions of non-military ships are far more common and I
                      think the rules would likely be more useful in that regard. It
                      shouldn't be easy to capture a military vessel through a boarding
                      action.

                      --- In StarTrekTechnology@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan Jecko" <bryan@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Just to chime in for a sec - you've gota remember that we don't
                      see a
                      > LOT of boarding actions...in fact VERY few in the TOS era.
                      >
                      > Second - even if you're dead in the water - there's a good chance
                      you
                      > got off a distress call. In some circumstances - you're gona wana
                      hold
                      > out until reinforcements arrive.
                      >
                      > Third - you don't want to waste a moderately damaged ship unless
                      you
                      > HAVE to. Just because it's been captured doesn't mean it's can't
                      be
                      > captured BACK at a later date.
                      >
                      > Fourth - the higher-ups aren't going to be too happy if
                      you "waste" your
                      > crew. Even the Klingons realize that to be captured with the hope
                      of
                      > escape or rescue prevents wasting the life of well trained
                      warriors.

                      > Fifth - I draw a parallel with the modern navy. If I remember the
                      > "Discovery" channel correctly - all navy ships have the ability to
                      > scuttle themselves if needed. As far as I know - only a few ships
                      have
                      > ever even beached them selves, let alone sunk them selves
                      deliberately
                      > to prevent an enemy from capturing them. (Not that a lot of
                      capture
                      > event take place on the high seas anymore!)
                      >
                      > Last! Our favorite hero - Captain Kirk - didn't blow up the
                      Enterprise
                      > just to keep the Klingons for getting her. With no crew to worry
                      about,
                      > he made a tactical decision eliminating the majority of his
                      opposing
                      > force.
                      >
                      > Just more food for thought.

                      <http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE0OGRsc3F2BF9TAzk3MT
                      A3M

                    • TheCrmsnPyrut@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 12 7:51 PM
                          Boarding was a lot more common in the age of sail, which many ( not all, I know ) feel is the preferred model for Trek.  Also I would think it would be rarer in straight tactical combat as opposed to tactical combat as an adjunct to the RPG.  Civilian ships will get boarded more often and easily than military vessels, and pirates and customs inspectors will be more inclined to board than military personnel in time of war.  But generally it should be an opportunistic action.  Pirates and customs just put more effort into creating such an opportunity.