Ship of the Line Calander 2012

  • trekcross
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2011
      Hey good folks, how are you and hope all is well. Hard to belive summer is already at its midpoint and going back down to winter and school. I hope the rest of you have had good weather, I know a lot of our friends in the north central have had issues with storms and rain, while us here in the south have baked and fried (had one of those Texas Wildfires missed us by about three miles back in April, real touch and go.)

      Anyhow, just got word that the new Ship of the Lines Calander was released, and if your a fan of the Drex Files website, you got some teasers of it back around the fourth of July

      http://drexfiles.wordpress.com

      some cool stuff, I have been working on Stats for the Mughi Class that was entered by Madkoifish and was a real cool one for the support ships I have been looking for lately.

      Another one that really took me by suprise, as I knew the artist back when we all hung out at the old Scifi-art website before it fell. DM Phonix has done the U.S.S. Allegince, a ship of his own creation and if you have ever seen the Bitter Homecoming from Youtube about the return from this engagment. DM did the whole animation sequence as well.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rjECiHEKkk

      Anyhow, a topic I have dwelt upone is Artist control and abuse of their art. With the popularity of the Drex Files, apparently Madkoifish has had a lot of people steal or use his images without permission, now not sure if that is just people using it, or trying to link from his website and causing issues. DM in fact has his website designed so that you can not save pictures (ack breaks my heart since Window7 lets me change my desktop so easily lol) But I had visited with him about 3 years asking for some 5 view Orthos of some of his ships which he declined due to the same reason. Most of them for people who were using it for their Live action ship games.

      When do you know it is ok to use a artist's creation say to post and create stats for? I myself have used the images from Reverend Trigster for my Antares and Hauck class repair ship, though I did ask for permission, I was never giving an Yea or Nay from the artist. I have also asked Madkoifish for his permission and have not got an ok or no from him either.

      It comes to a question of Copywrite and Public Domain, Yes the artist created it, but once they share to the wide world, how much control do they truly have of their work? In most of the Art sites like Scifi Meshes, general rules are if someone creates a work, they lable who created. If you used a Mesh or piece someone else created, you credit them as well. And I do credit the creators in my stuff. But if they do not respond, do you use it anyhow? I admit I did with the ones I created with Reverends work, and if Madkoifish does not respond, I probable will too. But I think you should give some time of about 3 weeks or so from time of request before using.

      What are your thoughts?
    • NATHAN KAISER
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
        I always thought as long as you give credit where its Due its ok unless the artist finds out or they are contacted first and that what your making is a non profit work

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
          General thought about the internet and sharing images/files: Once you upload an image or file to the internet you pretty much imply that whatever your public webpage is hosting becomes public domain. If you do not want to have it become public domain you must provide the safeguards yourself like preventing copying of the image through web page design or reducing the scale of the image or whatnot. I know you really do not have much recourse if the image or files are being distributed free when you provided them for free. If someone was making money reproducing the artwork or creations you upload to the internet than you may have legal recourse. Copyright litigation is expensive and short of someone like Microsoft stealing your image, you would usually lose money pursuing it legally.

          On a separate but related note, Star Trek specific:
          Whenever you plop a creative image, idea, game, or whatever into a copyright held universe you have implied copyright from the start. For example, let's say Joe designs an awesome 3-D rendering of a modified Klingon Hospital ship and uploads it to the internet; Frank sees the image and uses it to skin a similar model in his 3-D game which he is selling on the internet called "Klingon Attack". Joe wants to sue Frank for stealing his artwork and for making money off his work without permission, and he goes to an attorney. The attorney would tell them that Paramount Pictures would be the only party with grounds for a trial as they are the copyright holder for anything with "Klingon", in it or set in the Star Trek universe.

          On a positive note: In my day to day with web design I often find that asking someone to remove an image or credit the artist is often effective. 90% of the time people will do either if you ask the admin nicely.

          Live long and prosper!

          Waffletten

          --- In StarTrekTechnology@yahoogroups.com, trekcross <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > It comes to a question of Copywrite and Public Domain, Yes the artist created it, but once they share to the wide world, how much control do they truly have of their work? In most of the Art sites like Scifi Meshes, general rules are if someone creates a work, they lable who created. If you used a Mesh or piece someone else created, you credit them as well. And I do credit the creators in my stuff. But if they do not respond, do you use it anyhow? I admit I did with the ones I created with Reverends work, and if Madkoifish does not respond, I probable will too. But I think you should give some time of about 3 weeks or so from time of request before using.

        • Dubmaster C
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
            On a side note... the image of the Allegiance being chased by the Borg cube has got to be one of the most incredible Star Trek/Space battle scenes Ive ever seen... and now graces my desktop. Is it fan made, or from the new calendar? I gotta know.

> [...]

            > It comes to a question of Copywrite and Public Domain, Yes the artist created it, but once they share to the wide world, how much control do they truly have of their work? In most of the Art sites like Scifi Meshes, general rules are if someone creates a work, they lable who created. If you used a Mesh or piece someone else created, you credit them as well. And I
            do credit the creators in my stuff. But if they do not respond, do you use it anyhow? I admit I did with the ones I created with Reverends work, and if Madkoifish does not respond, I probable will too. But I think you should give some time of about 3 weeks or so from time of request before using.

          • trekcross
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 23, 2011
              Both, the original artwork was done about 2003 or 2004 by Dak when he created the Allegiance. Apparently Doug Drexler hunted him down and personaly asked him to update it for the 2012 Calander. In the original, the ship does not have as much flame on the nacell in the image.

              --- In StarTrekTechnology@yahoogroups.com, Dubmaster C <dubmasterc@...> wrote:

              > On a side note... the image of the Allegiance being chased by the Borg cube has
              > got to be one of the most incredible Star Trek/Space battle scenes Ive ever
              > seen... and now graces my desktop. Is it fan made, or from the new calendar? I
              > gotta know.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • dymihail
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2011
                With respect, your explanation is incorrect. The internet is not public domain. Placing an image online does not put it into the public domain. In the U.S., copyright is granted automatically. Entrance into the public domain requires sufficient passage of time or explicit notice by the copyright holder. Similarly, your explanation of derivative works is overly simplistic and generally false.

                Please, please consult a lawyer who specializes in copyright law.

                --- In StarTrekTechnology@yahoogroups.com, "waffletten" <clintonmschroeder@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > >
                > > It comes to a question of Copywrite and Public Domain, Yes the artist created it, but once they share to the wide world, how much control do they truly have of their work? In most of the Art sites like Scifi Meshes, general rules are if someone creates a work, they lable who created. If you used a Mesh or piece someone else created, you credit them as well. And I do credit the creators in my stuff. But if they do not respond, do you use it anyhow? I admit I did with the ones I created with Reverends work, and if Madkoifish does not respond, I probable will too. But I think you should give some time of about 3 weeks or so from time of request before using.

              • waffletten
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2011
                  Key word: "In the US"

                  Unfortunately for you and many other naive internet content posters, the internet does not end at the US border. US Copyright laws don't apply to vast swaths of the internet, and there exists little to no enforcement remedies for authors, artists, and other creative individuals. Look at what has happened to the US movie and recording industries. If the accumulated wealth and power of these organizations cannot stop or enforce their copyrights, how can you?

                  I produce web pages for a living and when an artist consults me on whether or not they should post a full resolution picture of their artwork, I give them an absolute no. They should reduce the resolution or add a layer to modify the image so it cannot be easily reproduced (and blocking direct link downloading doesn't work thanks to the 30+ year old technology of the "print screen" button). Ten years ago I was involved with a project where an artist ignored my advice, and discovered 3 months after publishing their webpage that a person was selling cups and posters of their artwork from a webpage using paypal as the transaction method. This fellow was helpless to stop this as the website was hosted in Eastern Europe and the production was in Russia.

                  And BTW, derivative works imply that you have produced something "unique" AND with the "permission" of the copyright holder. Please notice the licensing blurb on almost every commercial Star Trek RPG released in the last few decades (e.g FASA, Task Force Games/Amarillo Design Bureau, etc.) You need a disclaimer like "Elements of the Star Fleet Universe are the property of Paramount Pictures Corporation and are used with their permission." or "Officially licensed product". Be warned that Paramount has lawyers and is willing to use them if you don't have the decency to contact them when you are charging for / marketing a product. Fortunately for me and others, they usually let non-commercial (e.g. free) fan fiction and computer games slide.

                  Best,

                  Waffletten