Maximum Shield Power

  • Flynn F
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 16, 2011
      Can anyone tell me how the Maximum Shield Power was calculated by FASA? I have come across several formulas for everything else having to do with starship construction but that one detail.
    • Kevin Tinsley
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2011
        I am sorry to say this, but, the Maximum Shield Power is entirely made up.

        I did do some math on this once. In Star Trek The Motion Picture, when V'Ger fired the plasma torpedo at the Enterprise, Scotty said that the shields were down 70%. When FASA gave the Enterprise's shields a Maximum Shield Power of 16 and the Klingon D-7 a Maximum Shield Power of 11, this works out perfectly. 70% of 16 is 11.2, which is just strong enough for the torpedo to break the Klingon shields and eat the ships. I'm not sure, but maybe FASA did the same math as I.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2011
          ´╗┐
          HOLY SMOKE! I never did that bit o math! Thanks for sharing! We did a whole bunch of other calcualtions - but I just never thought to DO that one.

          The Max Shield Power is indeed "made up." It seems to be one of those "fit it in" factors whoes final numbers fit scenarios more than anything else.

          There is a minor coorilation with the max weapons - i.e. torpedoes. vs shields...but it's so wavering that it could easily be chalked up to luck.

          As for the drop in shield power per class - that ALSO has a pretty wide range (as you can see.) There is a usually 2 step or 3 step drop or combo there of. It appears that the shields was "pre-set" for a specific class range, then increade and decreased accordingly.

          Hope that helps.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 20, 2011
            To answer the original question, I believe that the chart is arbitrary. The FSA weighs so much, costs so much, protects a ship of a given size so well. The FSP is different to it, in some ways worse (heavier, requires bigger computer) but in many ways better (better protection and for larger ships, more efficient), as one would expect of a more advanced device. If there was ever some sort of underlying equation balancing cost/weight/SS/computer to SPR/class/efficiency I've never been able to divine it.

            The same can be said of each component. Their characteristics seem to be arbitrary, but fit.

            (D) and (WDF) equations from the construction books are only for balance weighting, so a fair (or blatantly unfair, if that's what they're into) contest can be drawn up between players.

            This is all only important if you want to come up with your own components. I would say, go right ahead. Whatever numbers you put in there will be no more arbitrary than FASA's are. Try to make them fit and they'll work. When you're done, they get the same equations run as any other component, for CE calculation purposes. (A very strong or efficient shield will have high corresponding DPC and SPR numbers and thus a higher D for the ship overall, for balance purposes.)

            Or I misread the whole thing. I hope this answers your question.