Principal

  • bigaza1
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 2, 2005
      Can somebody tell me who was principal right before Sr. Annina?
    • Carol Adams
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
        I believe it was Sister Jane Catherine.
        Can somebody tell me who was principal right before Sr. Annina?

        Please do not send attachments to the group. If you have a file to share, use the appropriates section in the group's menu (e.g., Files, Photos, etc.)

      • tipandzip@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
          I think it could possibly have been Sister Dorothea. Mary Jane Roth

        • Dan Horley
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
            Don't know. But I'll stir up some memories and mention Sr. Ann Michale that was principal when I went there in the early 50's. She was a good one. Dan Horley '54 Summerfield, NC

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
              In a message dated 2/3/2005 6:39:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              tipandzip@... writes:

              I think it could possibly have been Sister Dorothea

              Nope! Sister Jane Catherine came after "Big D"

            • Bigaza1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                I don't remember Sister Jane Catherine at all. My name is Catherine Jane
                and that would have stuck with me, I think. I started first grade in 1955 and
                I believe Sr. Anina became principal 2 years later. I toured the school when
                visiting Pittsburgh a few years ago and asked Sr. Marr if she knew. She
                didn't and Sr. Anina wasn't available at the time. So I'm still bugged trying
                to remember my first principal.

                However, thanks for the help. I just discovered the website 2 days ago and
                already am fully engrossed!

                Thanks again.
                Cathy Creely

              • Bigaza1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                  I don't remember Sr. Ann Michele at all. My first grade teacher (1955) was
                  Sr. Mary Arlene. She was quite young as I recall. Later on I had Sister
                  Eleanor, Sister Jane Francis, Sister Natalie and Sister Camilla Mary.

                  Thanks for responding.

                  Cathy Creely ('63)

                • Bigaza1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Thanks for responding. Sister Dorothea doesn't ring a bell with me. But
                    considering the year was around 1957 I guess my memory isn't as good as it
                    could be.

                    I just discovered the website and already am having lots of fun remembering
                    the "good old days!"

                    Cathy Creely

                  • Mary Lou Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                      Sorry, I don't know. Sr. Annina came when I entered 1st grade!

                      Mary Lou Schroeder

                      P.S. I wish I could make it to the reunion this year. However, I am having
                      a minor surgical procedure on Friday, so I can't travel. Please keep me in
                      your prayers. Thanks.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                        Nope. She came AFTER Sr. Annina. believe me, I remember HER!!!!!

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                          No NO No. Dorothea came AFTER Sr. Annina. She was a terror! years
                          1963-65. I still have nightmares about her.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                            Cathy: Did you used to live on Schley Avenue? I lived behind you on
                            Sampson.
                            Sr. Jane Catherine was after 1966, when I graduated from St. Philips
                            Mary Lou (Sikora) Schroder

                          • Bigaza1@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                              Yes, I lived on Schley. My brother bob creely is a member of the group,
                              although he never told me about it, lol. I'm in Florida and he's in Ohio.

                              Cathy

                            • Bigaza1@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 3, 2005
                                Mary Lou,

                                Where on Sampson did u live? Anywhere near the Hughes? And, what year did
                                u graduate St. Philip's?

                                Inquiring minds want to know.

                                Cathy

                              • melipinski@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 4, 2005
                                  In a message dated 2/3/2005 10:17:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  marylousch@... writes:

                                  Mary Lou (Sikora) Schroder

                                  Are you Tom Sikora's sister?

                                  Mark Lipinski

                                • Mary Lou Schroeder
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                                    Cathy:

                                    I lived across the alley from Thurston's and Hughes's and Cummings' (Jackie)
                                    I graduated from SPS in 1966. I had two brothers, Joe (1968) and Tom (1970)
                                    I currently live in Milwaukee, and last year, I recd an award at the reunion
                                    for having traveled the farthest!

                                    We used to all go sled riding from the top of the alley. I remember one
                                    year, (I was about 6 or 7) you pushed my face in the snow and broke my
                                    glasses!!!!!
                                    Egad, what we remember when we're old! :>)

                                    Mary Lou

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                                      Sura am. I live in Wisconsin. He's married to Barb Meehan and he lives in
                                      Robinson TWP. Has two wonderful kids, Tommy and Amy

                                      Mary Lou

                                    • Bigaza1@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                                        I sure don't remember that, Mary Lou. So sorry. But, I do remember sled
                                        riding down the alley. We were the only ones to have such a nice paved alley.
                                        I drove down it a couple of years ago........you should see how it shrunk!!

                                        Cathy

                                      • Dan Horley

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 5, 2005
                                            Dan, thanks for the background info on our paved alley. Now, can you shed
                                            some light on how Kreston was nick-named the "chicken steps?" Also, seems
                                            that Kreston had another nickname too, was it Columbia??

                                            Cathy

                                          • Dan Horley

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 6, 2005
                                                Yep, Dan, we always called them the chicken steps too. When I was little, I
                                                used to think there must have been a farm nearby and the farmer herded his
                                                chickens up the steps!

                                                Also, going back down memory lane, does anyone else remember when Fr.
                                                McCashin heated the sidewalks going down the hill? Am I having a false memory or
                                                was that really done? As I recalll, he never turned on the "juice" for school
                                                kids traipsing down the hill, but he would activate it for Sunday Mass.

                                                P.S. We used to call Fr. McCashin "Liver Lips".........he had strange,
                                                purple-looking lips.

                                                Cathy

                                              • Rich Sobocinski
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 6, 2005
                                                  --- In StPhilip@yahoogroups.com, Bigaza1@a... wrote:

                                                  <snip>
                                                  > Also, going back down memory lane, does anyone else remember when Fr.
                                                  > McCashin heated the sidewalks going down the hill? Am I having a
                                                  false memory or
                                                  > was that really done? As I recalll, he never turned on the "juice"
                                                  for school
                                                  > kids traipsing down the hill, but he would activate it for Sunday
                                                  Mass.

                                                  <snip>

                                                  > Cathy

                                                  I never heard that before. That's a pretty neat idea though. I'm sure
                                                  it drew an awful lot of "juice" though, and he probably thought the
                                                  kids could manage better than older folks on their way to Mass. Does
                                                  anyone else remember heated sidewalks there? I wonder if anything
                                                  remains of that?

                                                  In some heated sidewalks I think they used hot water that circulated
                                                  through pipes cast right into the concrete of the sidewalk. The water
                                                  source would usually be a boiler used for heating the rest of the
                                                  building adjacent to the walk.

                                                  Rich
                                                  '72
                                                • Mary Lou Schroeder
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                                                    Dan, isn't your Dad the one who designed Ascension Church after if was split
                                                    from St. Philip parish?
                                                  • Mary Lou Schroeder
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                                                      LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! over his nickname....true!

                                                      I do remmeber that someone said that there were heated sidewalks.

                                                      Remember when he used to sit at the door of the cafeteria collecting our
                                                      quarters (yes, quarters!).

                                                      He also was a big advocate when our 8th grade class wanted to have a dance
                                                      to celebrate a basketball tournament (not just for graduation). One of the
                                                      other priensts objected and he overrode them!!!! He was sometimes stern, but
                                                      I thought he was OK.

                                                      Mary Lou

                                                      > Yep, Dan, we always called them the chicken steps too. When I was
                                                      > little, I
                                                      > used to think there must have been a farm nearby and the farmer herded
                                                      > his
                                                      > chickens up the steps!
                                                      >
                                                      > Also, going back down memory lane, does anyone else remember when Fr.
                                                      > McCashin heated the sidewalks going down the hill? Am I having a false
                                                      > memory or
                                                      > was that really done? As I recalll, he never turned on the "juice" for
                                                      > school
                                                      > kids traipsing down the hill, but he would activate it for Sunday Mass.
                                                      >
                                                      > P.S. We used to call Fr. McCashin "Liver Lips".........he had strange,
                                                      > purple-looking lips.
                                                      >
                                                      > Cathy

                                                    • Dan Horley
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                                                        Mary Lou, Yes he is the one with the imagination to see something beautiful out of the old street car barn and office building. I remember him saying that the Dioceses wanted to tear down the barn and start with a new church, but he convinced them that the building was solid.

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                                                          Here's another tidbit regarding Ascension Church. I was the first to be
                                                          married there. Fr. Connor was the celebrant, and the church didn't even have
                                                          pews yet. What was especially nice for me was the fact that my grandfather
                                                          worked there as a streetcar mechanic many years before.

                                                          cathy

                                                        • Rich Sobocinski
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 7, 2005
                                                            --- In StPhilip@yahoogroups.com, Bigaza1@a... wrote:

                                                            > Here's another tidbit regarding Ascension Church. I was the first
                                                            to be
                                                            > married there. Fr. Connor was the celebrant, and the church
                                                            didn't even have
                                                            > pews yet. What was especially nice for me was the fact that my
                                                            grandfather
                                                            > worked there as a streetcar mechanic many years before.
                                                            >
                                                            > cathy

                                                            That is a neat tidbit. Fr. Connor is a great priest. I remember him
                                                            from when I was in school, but I have even better memories of him
                                                            since I moved back to Crafton and got to re-know him again. For a
                                                            while he was saying Mass once in a while at St. Philip and sometimes
                                                            he'd switch on his microphone while he was still in the back before
                                                            Mass started. You could hear him talking all through the church. I
                                                            think he even started to hear someone's confession once before someone
                                                            reminded him that he was "live." LOL
                                                            He doesn't say Mass anymore. I can't remember if he lives at the
                                                            seminary by Canevin or at St. Vincent's.

                                                            Rich
                                                          • Cathy Huth
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 8, 2005
                                                              Hi Rich,

                                                              Suddenly I have been getting conversational messages
                                                              unsolicited on my e-mail from the St. Philip group.
                                                              How can I unsubscribe?

                                                              Cathy Huth

                                                              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                                            • Rich Sobocinski
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Feb 8, 2005
                                                                --- In StPhilip@yahoogroups.com, Cathy Huth <spshuth@y...> wrote:

                                                                > Hi Rich,
                                                                >
                                                                > Suddenly I have been getting conversational messages
                                                                > unsolicited on my e-mail from the St. Philip group.
                                                                > How can I unsubscribe?
                                                                >
                                                                > Cathy Huth

                                                                Cathy, what you are experiencing is the alumni community. The whole
                                                                idea is to participate in the group conversation or just sit back and
                                                                "lurk." The increased traffic just means that the group is growing and
                                                                becoming more dynamic.

                                                                You do have options though, if the number of emails is overwhelming
                                                                you. You can go to the Yahoo Groups site and set your account options
                                                                to receive the messages in "Daily Digest" form. This is how I get the
                                                                messages. That way, you only get a single message from the group each
                                                                day and all the posts for that day are included--whether one message
                                                                or a dozen. If no one posts that day, you get no digest. There are
                                                                other options as well.

                                                                I already set your account to "Daily Digest." When I did that though,
                                                                I noticed that you have not yet created a Yahoo profile. By doing that
                                                                you will have access to more features of the group--especially our
                                                                "Photo" section. That goes for everybody. Make sure you create a
                                                                profile and then visit the group site online at
                                                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StPhilip/

                                                                Rich Sobocinski '72
                                                                Your Friendly Moderator