All-class reunion for 2010

  • StPhilip-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 29, 2009
      I hope this message finds everyone well and in good cheer. It's been a
      while since there were any posts on our group site, but I thought I'd
      bring you all up to date on some planning being done by the St. Philip
      Alumni committee. As you know, we hold an annual all-class reunion where
      we have a Mass, enjoy some food and award one of our classmates with a
      distinguished graduate award. Usually, the event is held in the winter
      and takes place entirely at St. Philip. This year, the committee is
      thinking of changing things up a little.

      The committee is looking for a little early feedback on plans to hold
      the award ceremony and dinner this year at Chartiers Country Club. Plans
      are still being made, so this is preliminary information:

      Date: April 10th, 2010Time: 4:00 p.m. Mass followed by DinnerDinner to
      be held at Chartiers Country ClubSeating to be by class year Planning is
      still underway -- entertainment is not decided. Lots of details aren't
      firm. The planning committee is interested in what you might like to see
      as part of the evening. This is your opportunity to let the planners
      know what you think would make a fun and enjoyable evening. Post here
      with your ideas.
      Price hasn't been finalized yet (mainly because we haven't decided on
      entertainment yet).

      Thanks for your involvement and hope to see you in April!

    • Robert Newham
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
        My wife and I would certainly be interested in having a reunion at CCC.

        Thanks - Bob Newham, class of 1961

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
          Just a couple of notes with my feelings. The Spring or Summer dates are better, but I do not think that I will be able to make such an event.  I rarely get back to Pittsburgh these days,and If I do, I have 3 cousins that I visit and spend most of my time.

          I really feel that it is better to keep such an event casual, with no entertainment.  If we are to get together with old friends, we do not need to be blasted out with music or entertainment.  And get a big enough hall that will permit a lot of moving around tables so that people can mingle more.  (I might be talking more like a real senior citizen, and others do not feel this way.  However, the committee for seniors at my church started holding a monthly luncheon for seniors with no entertainment, and the place is packed.  Previously they attempted to take trips to different places with a meal included and it folded for lack of support.)
          Keep me on your e-mail.  Dan Horley  '54

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
            Hi St. Philip's "kids"

            Bob.....do you have a sister, Barbara? There was a Barbara Newham in
            my class all through my St. Philip's years---graduated 8th grade in
            June 1963, and then went to Canevin. Just curious....

            The event sounds like fun, but depends on cost and whether or not I
            can make the time to get back to Pittsburgh from NC at that time.
            We'll see how things go.....

            As far as entertainment....I think it would be amusing to include some
            of the graduates who have entertainment experience.

            Amy Oliphant

            On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:02 AM, Robert Newham wrote:

            > My wife and I would certainly be interested in having a reunion at
            > CCC.
            >
            > Thanks - Bob Newham, class of 1961

          • Mary Lou Schroeder
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 8, 2009
              It would be wonderful to have it at CCC! I really enjoyed the 100th anniversary celebration there. A comedy revue geared toward local (Crafton-Ingram-Thornburg -West End-Rosslyn Farms-Bridgeville-Robinson Twp) places and establishments would be a possible entertainment option. Or have talented alums volunteer to sing or play an instrument for an after-dinner program.

              Also, do you only send info to people on this list? I would suggest that someone from the Alumni committee scour LinkedIn, or Facebook, or whatever people do these days to find former St Philip Alumni. Or go to high school sites' alumni section...?

              Thanks for planning!

              Mary Lou Sikora Schroeder 1966
            • StPhilip-owner@yahoogroups.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 10, 2009
                Mary Lou, that's a great idea for performing alums. Any takers? Please let us know early so we can include you in the program.

                As for your other question about the list, this is the only one that I maintain. There are other means that we communicate to the alumni, like the bulletin and postal mailings. There is also a blog that is geared mainly toward the families of current students (http://stphilipschool.blogspot.com/).

                Because of the cost, postal mailings are limited so this Yahoo Group tends to be the main outlet for alumni news. The suggestion to tie in Facebook and other social networks is a good one and something we'll try to explore. Remember that all of this is volunteer operated and our volunteers only have so much time to offer (hint, hint). Adding another social network or two does include some added work.

                One thing to keep in mind is that we are an "opt-in" group. We don't add peoples' email addresses without their permission. Yahoo Groups has a pretty large presence on the web and it makes it easy for people to find us. Make sure you mention the group to your classmates when you see them.

                Your moderator

              • ariverboater@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 10, 2009
                  Hello,
                  I have a question, when are you considered a St. Philip Alum? My daughter graduated in 08 which I am sure is too young. But our family is a hugh supporter of St. Philip School.
                  Pam Palchowski
                • rich_sobo
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 10, 2009
                    --- In StPhilip@yahoogroups.com, ariverboater@... wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > I have a question, when are you considered a St. Philip Alum? My daughter graduated in 08 which I am sure is too young. But our family is a hugh supporter of St. Philip School.
                    > Pam Palchowski

                    Pam your daughter is certainly considered an alum. Anyone who is a supporter of the school is welcome to join our Yahoo Group and attend our functions. The "official" name of the group is "Friends of Saint Philip School" so don't feel left out even if you did not personally attend the school.

                    The only time when there are more "requirements" is when we consider nominations for the annual Distinguished Graduate award. The nominee for that does need to have attended the school and must be at least 10 years beyond graduation.
                  • Colleen Rittler
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 13, 2009
                      I think this is a good idea. I am not concerned about entertainment. I think seeing our old classmates is enough but whatever is decided is fine with me. Thanks for all your efforts.

                      Colleen and Mike Rittler
                    • saunteringspirit@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 26, 2009
                        Hello, I attended St. Phillips 1946,thru 1954...but moved out of state
                        before graduation. Would be very interested in attending any reunion. Eileen
                      • Mary Lou Schroeder
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 19, 2010
                          Have final plans been made for the reunion?

                          Mary Lou Sikora Schroeder, '66
                        • StPhilip-owner@yahoogroups.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 20, 2010
                            Mary Lou, you must be a mind reader! I just received additional details for the reunion event last night. Please check the next post...