MERCEDES C. SCUGLIA (CHERRY)

  • bob creely
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
      i believe mercedes was a classmate of mine at st philips in the 50's

      SCUGLIA
      MERCEDES C. (CHERRY)
      Age 63, after a long illness, peacefully on Sunday, February 26, 2006
      in her Ingram home surrounded by family. Loving wife of 42 years to
      Bruno J. Scuglia; beloved mother of Bruno III of Pgh., Benjamin of W.
      Hollywood, CA and Adam (Julia) of Sewickley; dear daughter of Mercedes
      (Dugan) and the late Isadore Cherry; sister of Eleanor Gaitens,
      Margaret (Edward) Stararosielec, Eileen (Michael) O'Brian, Tom (Mary
      Sue) Cherry, Jack, Donald and Richard Cherry; special family friend of
      Ronald Gratz. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Mercedes was a
      speech and language pathologist for many years with the Diocese of
      Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Public School District, also a volunteer
      at Bishop Canevin with the Band Parents and St. Philip Pre School
      Program in Crafton; 50 West Crafton Ave., Pgh., PA 15205 where memorial
      contributions may be sent. Friends received on Wednesday from 2-4 & 7-9
      pm at the SCHEPNER - McDERMOTT FUNERAL HOME INC., 165 Noble Ave.,
      Crafton. Mass of Christian Burial at 10 am on Thursday in the Church of
      the Ascension, Ingram.

      Bob Creely
    • melipinski@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
        In a message dated 3/2/2006 11:29:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,

        SCUGLIA
        MERCEDES C. (CHERRY)
        Age 63, after a long illness, peacefully on Sunday, February 26, 2006

        Wow! Her brother Richard and I were friends. He was a year older than I
        and lived about 6 houses away. We really grew up together. I'm sorry to
        hear about this. I remember her well although she was much older than I was.

      • Burliphant
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
          Hi Bob

          I was one of your sister's (Cathy) classmates. The Cherry family lived
          across Clairtonica St. from our family and they were really a wonderful
          family. I always loved going up to play in their yard because they had such
          a large family and it was much more fun with the larger brood. Merc was
          several years older than me so I didn't get to know her as well as some of
          the younger kids, but she was always very sweet. I think she may have been
          the 2nd eldest, after Eleanor. Very sorry to hear about the family's loss.
          Do you have address for Jack Cherry or any of the other siblings? I actually
          worked out at St. Francis Medical Center at the same time that Jack worked
          there and he and I commuted together for a while. I'd love to send them a
          card as I don't really have an opportunity to simply bump into any of them
          since I am in NC.

          Thanks and "Hey" to Cathy

          Amy Oliphant

          _____

          Age 63, after a long illness, peacefully on Sunday, February 26, 2006
[...]

          Please do not send attachments to the group. If you have a file to share,
          use the appropriates section in the group's menu (e.g., Files, Photos, etc.)

          Hotel
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hotel+pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w1=Hotel+
          pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w2=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w3=Motel+pittsburg
          h+pennsylvania&c=3&s=106&.sig=IkOZ-BXcCDm5TxG9F28EvA> pennsylvania
          pittsburgh

          Lawyer
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w1=Hotel
          +pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w2=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w3=Motel+pittsbur
          gh+pennsylvania&c=3&s=106&.sig=JXxmeeDZSk7YfUUkAjhvpA> pittsburgh
          pennsylvania

          Motel
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Motel+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w1=Hotel+
          pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w2=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w3=Motel+pittsburg
          h+pennsylvania&c=3&s=106&.sig=EJ7s04byzOJDgVtKJLXasA> pittsburgh
          pennsylvania

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          " on the web.

          _____

        • Rich Sobocinski
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
            Amy, I don't have any family addresses, but you might try calling the
            funeral home.

            Schepner - Mcdermott Funeral Home
            165 Noble Avenue
            Crafton, PA 15205
            Phone Number: (412) 921-3661

            BTW, there was a very nice article in the Post-Gazette about Mercedes.
            See this link:

            http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06060/662653.stm

            --- In StPhilip@yahoogroups.com, "Burliphant" <burliphant@...> wrote:

            > Do you have address for Jack Cherry or any of the other siblings?
            <snip> I'd love to send them a
            > card as I don't really have an opportunity to simply bump into any
            of them
            > since I am in NC.
            >
            > Thanks and "Hey" to Cathy
            >
            > Amy Oliphant
            >

            > _____

            Behalf
            > Of bob creely
            > Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:02 AM
            > To: StPhilip@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [StPhilip] MERCEDES C. SCUGLIA (CHERRY)
            >

            > i believe mercedes was a classmate of mine at st philips in the 50's
            >
            > SCUGLIA
            > MERCEDES C. (CHERRY)
            > Age 63, after a long illness, peacefully on Sunday, February 26, 2006
            > in her Ingram home surrounded by family. Loving wife of 42 years to
            > Bruno J. Scuglia; beloved mother of Bruno III of Pgh., Benjamin of W.
            > Hollywood, CA and Adam (Julia) of Sewickley; dear daughter of Mercedes
            > (Dugan) and the late Isadore Cherry; sister of Eleanor Gaitens,
            > Margaret (Edward) Stararosielec, Eileen (Michael) O'Brian, Tom (Mary
            > Sue) Cherry, Jack, Donald and Richard Cherry; special family friend of
            > Ronald Gratz. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Mercedes was a
            > speech and language pathologist for many years with the Diocese of
            > Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Public School District, also a volunteer
            > at Bishop Canevin with the Band Parents and St. Philip Pre School
            > Program in Crafton; 50 West Crafton Ave., Pgh., PA 15205 where memorial
            > contributions may be sent. Friends received on Wednesday from 2-4 & 7-9
            > pm at the SCHEPNER - McDERMOTT FUNERAL HOME INC., 165 Noble Ave.,
            > Crafton. Mass of Christian Burial at 10 am on Thursday in the Church of
            > the Ascension, Ingram.
            >

            > Bob Creely
            >

            > Please do not send attachments to the group. If you have a file to
            share,
            > use the appropriates section in the group's menu (e.g., Files,
            Photos, etc.)

            > Hotel

            pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w2=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w3=Motel+pittsburg
            > h+pennsylvania&c=3&s=106&.sig=IkOZ-BXcCDm5TxG9F28EvA> pennsylvania
            > pittsburgh
            >
            > Lawyer

            +pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w2=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w3=Motel+pittsbur
            > gh+pennsylvania&c=3&s=106&.sig=JXxmeeDZSk7YfUUkAjhvpA> pittsburgh
            > pennsylvania
            >
            > Motel

            pennsylvania+pittsburgh&w2=Lawyer+pittsburgh+pennsylvania&w3=Motel+pittsburg
            > h+pennsylvania&c=3&s=106&.sig=EJ7s04byzOJDgVtKJLXasA> pittsburgh
            > pennsylvania
            >

            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            > " on the web.

            > _____

          • Rich Sobocinski
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
              Amy, you may want to post a message in the guest book at for Mercedes at
              Legacy.com
              <http://www.legacy.com/postgazette/Guestbook.asp?Page=Guestbook&PersonId\
              =16887679>

            • Burliphant
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
                Thanks for the info about Merc. I'll check into this.
              • bob creely
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
                  i don't have any of the family addresses and mercedes was the only
                  family member i knew. i remember her as being a super person, and her
                  life story reflects this.
                  cathy is still alive and well in jacksonville.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 8, 2006
                    Thanks Bob..I did remember that Cathy was in Jacksonville. Had a few chats
                    with her last year around this time following the St. Philip's "reunion"
                    during Catholic Schools Week. My three sisters attended that but I didn't
                    make it back from NC. Hopefully will make that event sometime in the near
                    future. My sister's all loved it and said it was a real trip down Memory
                    Lane. Stay well, and Hi to Cathy..Amy Oliphant

                    [Moderator's note: Each year St. Philip Alumni Association holds an all-class reunion that coincides with Catholic Schools Week. This year the reunion was incorporated into the Centennial Celebration, but next year it will be back as usual. Catholic Schools Week is usually at the end of January or beginning of February. All are welcome and every one has a good time.]