Class pictures

  • Rich Sobocinski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2004
      Hey all, there are some new pics in the "Photos" section. Thanks to
      Diana Mangum (Hartz) for sending them in. Go to "Photos" and click
      on the "Class Pictures" folder. Diana's class is shown in 1954,
      1955, and 1957 photos (3rd, 4th, and 6th grade). You really need to
      see Sister's habit in the 1955 photo.

      If anyone else has class pics or other photos for the group let's
      get 'em posted! Any group member can upload digital photos
      themselves. If you don't have any means of getting them digitized
      you can contact me offline and we'll get it done.

      The only restriction I am going to put on the class photos is that
      they be for classes that are at least 10 years out of school. The
      school and the diocese have a policy of not displaying the
      children's pictures online for obvious reasons. If we stay 10 years
      back, I think we are w/in the spirit of that policy.

      Your Friendly Moderator
    • Diana Mangum
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
        Did you recognize Sister Anina? She was my favorite teacher.
        Do you have any idea what ever happened to her? Is she still alive?
        She was one of my father's classmates when he was young. Her name was
        Betty, before she joined the Sisters of Charity. When I left St. Philips
        after the 8th grade, she was still principal of the school.
        I'm going to look for some more shots and my sisters said they would
        hunt up their old class photos. I'll send them on when I get them.

        I'd give anything to see or talk to some of my old classmates from St. Philips. Jackie Fisher, Sharon Scott, Sandy Jewell (the prettiest girl
        in class), Kenny Pendleton (a wonderful artist), Angela Amendola (the
        cobbler's daughter), Eileen McCarthy, Bobby Drew, Eileen DeSoto, Patty
        Cain (tiny blond girl), Bill O'Reilly (so handsome)...just to name a few.

        I still have one of my books for collecting savings stamps...remember
        them? I'll find it and send it on for you to post for the group...there are a few stamps still in it...(For the St. Philip memorabilia collection.)
        ....di Diana (Hartz) Mangum '64'
      • Rich Sobocinski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2004
          --- In StPhilip@yahoogroups.com, "Diana Mangum" <dmangum@v...> wrote:
          > Did you recognize Sister Anina? She was my favorite teacher.
          > Do you have any idea what ever happened to her? Is she still
          alive?
          > She was one of my father's classmates when he was young. Her name
          was
          > Betty, before she joined the Sisters of Charity. When I left St.
          Philips
          > after the 8th grade, she was still principal of the school.

          That was Sr. Anina? Get out! I really couldn't tell b/c her face was
          in the shadows. You'll be glad to hear that Sr. Anina is still at
          St. Philips. She's in charge of the library now and she still gets
          around, though she uses a walker now. I'll be sure to show her the
          picture and let her know you send your regards.

          Here's a personal story I have about Sr. Anina. I had been away from
          Crafton for quite a few years. I had joined the Navy when I was
          young and ended up living for 10 years in VA. I moved back to PA and
          lived for 5 or 6 years up in Beaver County before finally returning
          to Crafton. Right after we moved back I was on the bus coming home
          from work in town. I was going to get off and visit the school to
          see if I could get my youngest enrolled. At the same stop there was
          a little Sister of Charity getting off too. I mentioned that we were
          heading the same way and asked if I could walk her up to the
          convent. On the way I explained why I was going up to the school.
          She asked me my name and I just told her "Sobocinski." She
          immediately recognized the name and started remembering an incident
          that involved my brother. Unfortunately, I never had Sr. Anina for
          any classes, but my younger brother did and she remembered him very
          well. It was right then and there that I determined that my daughter
          HAD to go to school there. Where can you find teachers that remember
          their students so well after 20 years or more?

          Sr. Anina is a real treasure. The kids still love her and she is
          still active. Did you know that she was our first "Distinguished
          Graduate" when we started the annual reunion?

          Rich Sobocinski, '72