Re: OT - Favourite Songs from Musicals (was Day by day)

  • niriha7
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi Jan, The Assistant Moderator mentioned (see end of your post) the
      song "Springtime for Hitler" from The Producers for its lilting
      melody. Projjwal starred in an off, off, off Broadway production
      (Vietnam to be exact) that was a take off or more accurately, rip
      off :-) of some scenes from The Producers. For those who must see
      it, you can contact me offline as I videoed it. Projjwal has a copy
      - I have the original :-)) (that is the symbol for a big smile).
      Niriha

      PS I saw Mel Brooks (the producer of The Producers) several times
      when I was a babysitter (nanny) in the building where he lives on
      the upper east side in New York City.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jan_klaile
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Barbra Streisand (although I don't know if you can classify that as
      > musical :0)). The pieces "Papa can you hear me", and "A piece of
      > Sky" send shivers down my spine. I've been really fond of Andrew
      > Lloyd Webber's music, too. My favourites have included songs
      > from "The Phantom of the Opera" and "Pie Jesu."
      >
      > Many of my favourite songs have also been from Disney movies,
      > especially the "I want" songs :0) like "My Reflection"
      from "Mulan."
      > Here's an excerpt from the pop version of it:
      >
      > "There's a heart that must be free to fly,
      > That burns with a need to know the reason why.
      > When will my reflection show who I am inside?"
      >
      > ...Right now I'm listening to Charlotte Church. She must be an
      > especially bright jewel of God here on earth, I feel. She's quite
      > young, but has an incredible singing talent. She sings quite a lot
      > of spiritual songs. Here's and exerpt from one from the
      > album "Prelude," which strikes me as quite powerful:
      >
      > "Dream a dream,
      > And see through angel's eyes,
      > A place where we can fly away.
      > Ride with me upon a shining star.
      > Above the moonlit sky,
      > we will find Elysium."
      >
      > Love,
      > Jan :0)
      >

      > [Let's not forget that lilting melody "Springtime For Hitler,"
      > from The Producers! -Assistant Moderator]
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Jan,
      > >
      > > Here is a web site with all the lyrics to the Godspell musical:
      > >
      > > http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/godspell/daybyday.htm
      > >
      > > I believe there are also sites that will let you listen to them.
      > > Also, the muscial Godspell was made into a movie and may be
      > > available on video.
      > >
      > > There was Jesus Christ Superstar - do you know that "spiritual
      > > musical"? But it is a lot "heavier" than Godspell.
      > >
      > > I love musicals, too. What is your favorite? I like Fiddler on the
      > > Roof very much. Especially the song, "Sunrise, Sunset."
      > >
      > > In oneness,
      > > Sarah
      > > Seattle
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jan_klaile
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear friends,
      > > >
      > > > Lately I've been inspired by the song "Day by Day" from the
      > > > musical Godspell. The lyrics are striking in their
      succinctness,
      > > > simplicity and directness. They are sung over and over again:
      > > > bit like a western bhajan, in fact :0). Here they are:
      > > >
      > > > "Day by day,
      > > > Day by day,
      > > > Oh dear Lord,
      > > > Three things I pray:
      > > > To see thee more clearly,
      > > > Love thee more dearly,
      > > > Follow thee more nearly,
      > > > Day by day."
      > > >
      > > > I'd love to hear more songs from "Godspell".
      > > > Are there any other spiritual musicals out there, does anyone

    • anitabusic
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
        Hi Jan,

        I am also an admirer of Charlotte Church's singing talent. Could you
        please tell me which albums has she recorded, so I can look them up?

        Thanks,

        Anita

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > Seattle
        > >
        > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jan_klaile
        > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Dear friends,
        > > >
        > > > Lately I've been inspired by the song "Day by Day" from the
        > > > musical Godspell. The lyrics are striking in their
        succinctness,
        > > > simplicity and directness. They are sung over and over
        again: A
        > > > bit like a western bhajan, in fact :0). Here they are:
        > > >
        > > > "Day by day,
        > > > Day by day,
        > > > Oh dear Lord,
        > > > Three things I pray:
        > > > To see thee more clearly,
        > > > Love thee more dearly,
        > > > Follow thee more nearly,
        > > > Day by day."
        > > >
        > > > I'd love to hear more songs from "Godspell".
        > > > Are there any other spiritual musicals out there, does

      • jan_klaile
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
          Dear Anita,

          I went to the Charlotte Church website and found the following
          albums: "Voice of an Angel", "Charlotte Church", "Dream a
          Dream", "Enchantment", and "Prelude".

          All the best,
          Jan :0)

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anitabusic
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > Jan :0)
          > >

          > > [Let's not forget that lilting melody "Springtime For Hitler,"
          > > from The Producers! -Assistant Moderator]
          > >

          > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle
          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi Jan,
          > > >
          > > > Here is a web site with all the lyrics to the Godspell musical:
          > > >
          > > > http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/godspell/daybyday.htm
          > > >
          > > > I believe there are also sites that will let you listen to
          them.
          > > > Also, the muscial Godspell was made into a movie and may be
          > > > available on video.
          > > >
          > > > There was Jesus Christ Superstar - do you know that "spiritual
          > > > musical"? But it is a lot "heavier" than Godspell.
          > > >
          > > > I love musicals, too. What is your favorite? I like Fiddler on
          > the
          > > > Roof very much. Especially the song, "Sunrise, Sunset."

        • dharmaja
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2004
            You saw Mel Brooks? Now that's what I call darshan!

            D.A.

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7