British French Joy Weekend

  • richard13_oxford
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      At the weekend we were joined by our French and Scottish friends for
      our British-French joy weekend. It was held in a conference centre
      in the Chiltern hills. From the hotel there was a stunning view
      across the valley. Autumn is a very colourful time of the year in
      England, with trees turning a myriad of different colours. We were
      even blessed with some sunshine, which can be quite a rarity at this
      time of year. It was a beautiful setting for a relaxing and fun
      weekend. The whole weekend was very well organised by the Bristol
      centre. We enjoyed a selection of spiritual activities, light-
      hearted entertainment, and some excellent vegetarian food.

      I had the weekend off racing my bike; instead I used it to try and
      find a suitable 2 mile running course. The grounds were a bit small,
      so I chose a field across the road. It was a bit muddy, but I was
      pleased to measure a relatively flat course. Unfortunately, near the
      end I met the farmer, who politely, patiently and nonviolently
      explained that his land was unavailable.

      Looking for another course, I cycled around the roads. They would
      have been OK, but they had no pavement so they were a bit dangerous.
      Later I came across another field with goalposts. It looked like a
      public park, so I started cycling round. Unfortunately, I soon
      realised it was actually somebody's (impressively large) back
      garden! Though delightfully farmer-free, it was nonetheless private
      property.

      Finally I found a suitable course. It was approximately 1 mile down
      a hill and then 1 mile up the hill. It didn't seem too bad on my
      bike, but some runners told me it wasn't quite what they were used
      to.*

      However, I think I'm right in saying that many years ago the Sri
      Chinmoy Centre organised a marathon which ran up and down a hill in
      New York.

      Maybe if we have a French joy day in the Alps or Pyranees, perhaps I
      will be able to organise a 10 mile hill race up Alpe d'Huez or Mont
      Ventoux. That would be great fun.

      Regards

      Richard

      *One Yorkshire lass reportedly tried to break a pool cue over
      Richard's nose, but then who hasn't? :-)
      -Assistant Moderator