Re: OT - Painting Party: a Cordial Invitation

  • sumangali_m
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Dear Bihagee, Amelia, Doris and Anami

      Thank you for responding to my invitation. It was fun to find out
      about your favourite artists!

      Doris, do forgive my use of slang. I try to limit my colloquialisms,
      especially British ones, but to do away with them altogether would
      stifle my personality :o/ I will gladly attempt to define any other
      slang upon request, but this may not be very useful to you.
      "Chap" is a rather old-fashioned British word for man, boy or
      fellow. Its use is still widespread though, so I hope you will allow
      me to get away with it.

      Bihagee, I am delighted to find in you not only a fellow admirer of
      JW Waterhouse's work, but also a fellow artist! I look forward
      to seeing some of your work!

      I appreciate the Pre-Raphaelite movement for many reasons. Here is a
      short background for anyone who is not familiar with it. Dante
      Gabriel Rossetti initiated the movement in 1848 as a kind of
      rebellion against the Renaissance movement (Raphael was one of the
      main Renaissance painters). Renaissance art was seen as contrived,
      pretentious and overrated by the Pre-Raphaelites. They therefore
      made a stand by working with real subjects, as well as realistic
      light and colour, to depict meaningful stories.

      I personally have nothing against Renaissance art, though admittedly
      it doesn't interest me that much. What I like about
      Pre-Raphaelite painting is that it represents a search for lost truth
      and realism. It seeks a return to child-like purity, innocence and
      lack of self-consciousness. The fact that such qualities can be
      regained and re-discovered even when they have been temporarily
      mislaid, I find very encouraging! One can draw a parallel in this
      sense between Pre-Raphaelite painting and the spiritual life. Of
      course I also love the bold, fresh use of colour, the exquisite
      beauty of the subjects, and the jolly good swashbuckling legends they
      so often represent!

      Sumangali
      :oD

      ___________________

      Anami wrote (#8918):

      Hi to all art-lovers,

      Nice to hear from John William Waterhouse – I liked the web site
      very
      much.
      http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/

      Here some more web sites from:

      J.M.W. Turner
      http://www.j-m-w-turner.co.uk/

      Sulamith Wülfling:
      http://wulfing.artpassions.net/

      Caspar David Friedrich – a romantic artist who I always liked
      much:
      http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/friedrich_caspar_david.html

      Maybe there is more which someone can recommend?
      Maybe from India or Japan or Australia….????

      I am looking forward to hearing more
      Anami

      ___________________

      Doris wrote (#8872):

      Dear Sumangali,

      I have a similar feeling about the seasons as you are describing
      them. I like your words; I can't possibly be expected to wait for
      spring to dish out its celestial beauty.

      Both my colleagues in the office are lovers of cold weather. I hope
      we will turn on the heater soon. I am occupied with closing the
      window countless times a day. Huh!;-(

      I visited the website of John William Waterhouse. The natural
      appearance of the colors is astonishing. But I am not qualified to
      give any deeper comment on the paintings.

      But I CAN highly recommend the art gallery of Sulamith Wülfing, my
      favourite painter. I am sure you will like it very much.

      They say about Sulamith Wülfing: "Her paintings capture the
      innocence and wonder of the land of Fairies and Angels."

      When you look at her paintings you are transferred to a subtle world
      of beauty in color and feeling.

      And they are definitely also inspiring for chaps, whatever you mean
      by that. It is a funny word, I didn't find the translation in my
      dictionary.

      Enjoy it.

      Doris

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, amelialloyd
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      out
      > of PAINT! I do not have the names of the paintings here or even a
      > website, but I do know that the Tate Britain has a large collection
      > of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
      > on 'Tate Britain.'
      >
      > Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
      > actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in
      this
      > country turned red or golden instead of brown!
      >
      > Amelia
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Sumangali!
      > >
      > > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
      > > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to
      find
      > > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really
      feel I
      > > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I
      enjoy
      > > like anything!
      > >
      > > Have a very colourful day!
      > >
      > > Bihagee
      > >

      > > ---In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has
      > > blown
      > > > away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey
      > and
      > > > ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own
      way,
      > > but
      > > > I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I
      > am
      > > > always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this
      > > time
      > > > of year.)
      > > >
      > > > I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
      > > > celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
      > > > a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a
      fix
      > > of
      > > > colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds
      when
      > > > visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri
      > > Chinmoy):
      > > > John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
      > > > jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life
      > > > those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the
      > > rather
      > > > uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)
      > > >
      > > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving
      for
      > > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
      > like
      > > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
      > > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
      > > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s)
      if
      > > you
      > > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though:
      Oceanids
      > > from
      > > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
      > > >
      > > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
      > > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
      > > >
      > > > Sumangali
      > > > :oD
      > > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
    • doriscott20002000
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
        Dear Sumangali,

        I am very sorry for causing any misunderstanding. From the context I
        got the meaning of "chap." The dictionary that I have at home houses
        only 120000 words. I meant that I didn't find the word in MY
        dictionary. And I mentioned that, because I was using the same word
        in my reply. Maybe it was a poor joke. Please, don't limit yourself
        in any way, I am eager to learn. Sorry again.

        Doris

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
          Niriha,
          the proper name is "Hundertwasser."

          I enjoy your postings very much. I am one of the many swashbuckling
          disciples you have ever driven to the airport.

          Have a n... day

          Doris

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          collection
          > > of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
          > > on 'Tate Britain.'
          > >
          > > Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
          > > actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in
          > this
          > > country turned red or golden instead of brown!
          > >
          > > Amelia
          > >

          > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hey Sumangali!
          > > >
          > > > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
          > > > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to
          > find
          > > > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really
          > feel I
          > > > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I

        • bihagee
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
            Since we are in a painting mood, I can tell you what really
            inspired me yesterday.

            I was just starting to draw on one t-shirt when I felt
            insecure if I am able to make it nice. I looked around my room and
            I saw one prayer, just lying on a sheet of paper. That prayer helped
            me make not only that shirt, but two more!

            Keep your creativity strong,