Re: OT - Painting Party: a Cordial Invitation

  • niriha7
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Whoops! Obviously I did not study German in high school or college.
      The correct name and spelling of the artist I referred to is
      Friedensreich Hendertwasser. Niriha

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, amelialloyd
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      out
      > of PAINT! I do not have the names of the paintings here or even a
      > website, but I do know that the Tate Britain has a large collection
      > of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
      > on 'Tate Britain.'
      >
      > Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
      > actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in
      this
      > country turned red or golden instead of brown!
      >
      > Amelia
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Sumangali!
      > >
      > > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
      > > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to
      find
      > > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really
      feel I
      > > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I
      enjoy
      > > like anything!
      > >
      > > Have a very colourful day!
      > >
      > > Bihagee
      > >

      > > ---In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has
      > > blown
      > > > away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey
      > and
      > > > ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own
      way,
      > > but
      > > > I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I
      > am
      > > > always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this
      > > time
      > > > of year.)
      > > >
      > > > I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
      > > > celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
      > > > a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a
      fix
      > > of
      > > > colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds
      when
      > > > visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri
      > > Chinmoy):
      > > > John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
      > > > jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life
      > > > those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the
      > > rather
      > > > uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)
      > > >
      > > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving
      for
      > > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
      > like
      > > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
      > > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
      > > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s)
      if
      > > you
      > > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though:
      Oceanids
      > > from
      > > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
      > > >
      > > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
      > > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
      > > >
      > > > Sumangali
      > > > :oD
      > > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
    • sumangali_m
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        Dear Bihagee, Amelia, Doris and Anami

        Thank you for responding to my invitation. It was fun to find out
        about your favourite artists!

        Doris, do forgive my use of slang. I try to limit my colloquialisms,
        especially British ones, but to do away with them altogether would
        stifle my personality :o/ I will gladly attempt to define any other
        slang upon request, but this may not be very useful to you.
        "Chap" is a rather old-fashioned British word for man, boy or
        fellow. Its use is still widespread though, so I hope you will allow
        me to get away with it.

        Bihagee, I am delighted to find in you not only a fellow admirer of
        JW Waterhouse's work, but also a fellow artist! I look forward
        to seeing some of your work!

        I appreciate the Pre-Raphaelite movement for many reasons. Here is a
        short background for anyone who is not familiar with it. Dante
        Gabriel Rossetti initiated the movement in 1848 as a kind of
        rebellion against the Renaissance movement (Raphael was one of the
        main Renaissance painters). Renaissance art was seen as contrived,
        pretentious and overrated by the Pre-Raphaelites. They therefore
        made a stand by working with real subjects, as well as realistic
        light and colour, to depict meaningful stories.

        I personally have nothing against Renaissance art, though admittedly
        it doesn't interest me that much. What I like about
        Pre-Raphaelite painting is that it represents a search for lost truth
        and realism. It seeks a return to child-like purity, innocence and
        lack of self-consciousness. The fact that such qualities can be
        regained and re-discovered even when they have been temporarily
        mislaid, I find very encouraging! One can draw a parallel in this
        sense between Pre-Raphaelite painting and the spiritual life. Of
        course I also love the bold, fresh use of colour, the exquisite
        beauty of the subjects, and the jolly good swashbuckling legends they
        so often represent!

        Sumangali
        :oD

        ___________________

        Anami wrote (#8918):

        Hi to all art-lovers,

        Nice to hear from John William Waterhouse – I liked the web site
        very
        much.
        http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/

        Here some more web sites from:

        J.M.W. Turner
        http://www.j-m-w-turner.co.uk/

        Sulamith Wülfling:
        http://wulfing.artpassions.net/

        Caspar David Friedrich – a romantic artist who I always liked
        much:
        http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/friedrich_caspar_david.html

        Maybe there is more which someone can recommend?
        Maybe from India or Japan or Australia….????

        I am looking forward to hearing more
        Anami

        ___________________

        Doris wrote (#8872):

        Dear Sumangali,

        I have a similar feeling about the seasons as you are describing
        them. I like your words; I can't possibly be expected to wait for
        spring to dish out its celestial beauty.

        Both my colleagues in the office are lovers of cold weather. I hope
        we will turn on the heater soon. I am occupied with closing the
        window countless times a day. Huh!;-(

        I visited the website of John William Waterhouse. The natural
        appearance of the colors is astonishing. But I am not qualified to
        give any deeper comment on the paintings.

        But I CAN highly recommend the art gallery of Sulamith Wülfing, my
        favourite painter. I am sure you will like it very much.

        They say about Sulamith Wülfing: "Her paintings capture the
        innocence and wonder of the land of Fairies and Angels."

        When you look at her paintings you are transferred to a subtle world
        of beauty in color and feeling.

        And they are definitely also inspiring for chaps, whatever you mean
        by that. It is a funny word, I didn't find the translation in my
        dictionary.

        Enjoy it.

        Doris

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving
        for
        > > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
        > like
        > > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
        > > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
        > > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s)
        if
        > > you
        > > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though:
        Oceanids
        > > from
        > > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
        > > >
        > > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
        > > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
        > > >
        > > > Sumangali
        > > > :oD
        > > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
      • doriscott20002000
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
          Dear Sumangali,

          I am very sorry for causing any misunderstanding. From the context I
          got the meaning of "chap." The dictionary that I have at home houses
          only 120000 words. I meant that I didn't find the word in MY
          dictionary. And I mentioned that, because I was using the same word
          in my reply. Maybe it was a poor joke. Please, don't limit yourself
          in any way, I am eager to learn. Sorry again.

          Doris

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
            Niriha,
            the proper name is "Hundertwasser."

            I enjoy your postings very much. I am one of the many swashbuckling
            disciples you have ever driven to the airport.

            Have a n... day

            Doris

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            collection
            > > of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
            > > on 'Tate Britain.'
            > >
            > > Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
            > > actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in
            > this
            > > country turned red or golden instead of brown!
            > >
            > > Amelia
            > >

            > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hey Sumangali!
            > > >
            > > > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
            > > > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to
            > find
            > > > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really
            > feel I
            > > > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I

          • bihagee
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
              Since we are in a painting mood, I can tell you what really
              inspired me yesterday.

              I was just starting to draw on one t-shirt when I felt
              insecure if I am able to make it nice. I looked around my room and
              I saw one prayer, just lying on a sheet of paper. That prayer helped
              me make not only that shirt, but two more!

              Keep your creativity strong,