Re: OT - Painting Party: a Cordial Invitation

  • niriha7
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
      Hi Sumangali, Bihagee and Amelia, My vote for a painter or painters
      who make use of colour in their paintings is Marc Chagall and an
      Austrian painter by the name Huntervasser. Amelia, before you were
      born, I was wandering around the Tate Gallery and saw Turner's work.
      The Tate has a wonderful collection of his work. Huntervasser's use
      of colour is not as subtle as either Waterhouse's or Turner's,
      however. More like a child who has been given the most complete
      crayon set imaginable!

      Niriha
      (who admittedly likes exclamation points)

      My brother Swapan said that I would not be able to speak if the
      English language did not have superlatives. Exclamation points are
      relatives of superlatives. Both might be signs of laziness -
      shortcuts to genuine expressiveness.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, amelialloyd
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      out
      > of PAINT! I do not have the names of the paintings here or even a
      > website, but I do know that the Tate Britain has a large collection
      > of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
      > on 'Tate Britain.'
      >
      > Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
      > actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in
      this
      > country turned red or golden instead of brown!
      >
      > Amelia
      >

      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Sumangali!
      > >
      > > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
      > > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to
      find
      > > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really
      feel I
      > > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I
      enjoy
      > > like anything!
      > >
      > > Have a very colourful day!
      > >
      > > Bihagee
      > >

      > > ---In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has
      > > blown
      > > > away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey
      > and
      > > > ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own
      way,
      > > but
      > > > I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I
      > am
      > > > always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this
      > > time
      > > > of year.)
      > > >
      > > > I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
      > > > celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
      > > > a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a
      fix
      > > of
      > > > colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds
      when
      > > > visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri
      > > Chinmoy):
      > > > John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
      > > > jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life
      > > > those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the
      > > rather
      > > > uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)
      > > >
      > > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving
      for
      > > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
      > like
      > > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
      > > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
      > > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s)
      if
      > > you
      > > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though:
      Oceanids
      > > from
      > > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
      > > >
      > > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
      > > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
      > > >
      > > > Sumangali
      > > > :oD
      > > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
    • niriha7
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
        Whoops! Obviously I did not study German in high school or college.
        The correct name and spelling of the artist I referred to is
        Friedensreich Hendertwasser. Niriha

        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > >
        > > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving
        for
        > > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
        > like
        > > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
        > > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
        > > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s)
        if
        > > you
        > > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though:
        Oceanids
        > > from
        > > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
        > > >
        > > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
        > > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
        > > >
        > > > Sumangali
        > > > :oD
        > > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
      • sumangali_m
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
          Dear Bihagee, Amelia, Doris and Anami

          Thank you for responding to my invitation. It was fun to find out
          about your favourite artists!

          Doris, do forgive my use of slang. I try to limit my colloquialisms,
          especially British ones, but to do away with them altogether would
          stifle my personality :o/ I will gladly attempt to define any other
          slang upon request, but this may not be very useful to you.
          "Chap" is a rather old-fashioned British word for man, boy or
          fellow. Its use is still widespread though, so I hope you will allow
          me to get away with it.

          Bihagee, I am delighted to find in you not only a fellow admirer of
          JW Waterhouse's work, but also a fellow artist! I look forward
          to seeing some of your work!

          I appreciate the Pre-Raphaelite movement for many reasons. Here is a
          short background for anyone who is not familiar with it. Dante
          Gabriel Rossetti initiated the movement in 1848 as a kind of
          rebellion against the Renaissance movement (Raphael was one of the
          main Renaissance painters). Renaissance art was seen as contrived,
          pretentious and overrated by the Pre-Raphaelites. They therefore
          made a stand by working with real subjects, as well as realistic
          light and colour, to depict meaningful stories.

          I personally have nothing against Renaissance art, though admittedly
          it doesn't interest me that much. What I like about
          Pre-Raphaelite painting is that it represents a search for lost truth
          and realism. It seeks a return to child-like purity, innocence and
          lack of self-consciousness. The fact that such qualities can be
          regained and re-discovered even when they have been temporarily
          mislaid, I find very encouraging! One can draw a parallel in this
          sense between Pre-Raphaelite painting and the spiritual life. Of
          course I also love the bold, fresh use of colour, the exquisite
          beauty of the subjects, and the jolly good swashbuckling legends they
          so often represent!

          Sumangali
          :oD

          ___________________

          Anami wrote (#8918):

          Hi to all art-lovers,

          Nice to hear from John William Waterhouse – I liked the web site
          very
          much.
          http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/

          Here some more web sites from:

          J.M.W. Turner
          http://www.j-m-w-turner.co.uk/

          Sulamith Wülfling:
          http://wulfing.artpassions.net/

          Caspar David Friedrich – a romantic artist who I always liked
          much:
          http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/friedrich_caspar_david.html

          Maybe there is more which someone can recommend?
          Maybe from India or Japan or Australia….????

          I am looking forward to hearing more
          Anami

          ___________________

          Doris wrote (#8872):

          Dear Sumangali,

          I have a similar feeling about the seasons as you are describing
          them. I like your words; I can't possibly be expected to wait for
          spring to dish out its celestial beauty.

          Both my colleagues in the office are lovers of cold weather. I hope
          we will turn on the heater soon. I am occupied with closing the
          window countless times a day. Huh!;-(

          I visited the website of John William Waterhouse. The natural
          appearance of the colors is astonishing. But I am not qualified to
          give any deeper comment on the paintings.

          But I CAN highly recommend the art gallery of Sulamith Wülfing, my
          favourite painter. I am sure you will like it very much.

          They say about Sulamith Wülfing: "Her paintings capture the
          innocence and wonder of the land of Fairies and Angels."

          When you look at her paintings you are transferred to a subtle world
          of beauty in color and feeling.

          And they are definitely also inspiring for chaps, whatever you mean
          by that. It is a funny word, I didn't find the translation in my
          dictionary.

          Enjoy it.

          Doris

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving
          for
          > > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
          > like
          > > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
          > > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
          > > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s)
          if
          > > you
          > > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though:
          Oceanids
          > > from
          > > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
          > > >
          > > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
          > > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
          > > >
          > > > Sumangali
          > > > :oD
          > > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
        • doriscott20002000
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
            Dear Sumangali,

            I am very sorry for causing any misunderstanding. From the context I
            got the meaning of "chap." The dictionary that I have at home houses
            only 120000 words. I meant that I didn't find the word in MY
            dictionary. And I mentioned that, because I was using the same word
            in my reply. Maybe it was a poor joke. Please, don't limit yourself
            in any way, I am eager to learn. Sorry again.

            Doris

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
              Niriha,
              the proper name is "Hundertwasser."

              I enjoy your postings very much. I am one of the many swashbuckling
              disciples you have ever driven to the airport.

              Have a n... day

              Doris

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              collection
              > > of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
              > > on 'Tate Britain.'
              > >
              > > Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
              > > actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in
              > this
              > > country turned red or golden instead of brown!
              > >
              > > Amelia
              > >

              > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
              > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey Sumangali!
              > > >
              > > > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
              > > > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to
              > find
              > > > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really
              > feel I
              > > > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I

            • bihagee
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
                Since we are in a painting mood, I can tell you what really
                inspired me yesterday.

                I was just starting to draw on one t-shirt when I felt
                insecure if I am able to make it nice. I looked around my room and
                I saw one prayer, just lying on a sheet of paper. That prayer helped
                me make not only that shirt, but two more!

                Keep your creativity strong,