Re: OT - Brotherly love (was Childhood Prayers)

  • colmbolmcolm
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 1, 2004
      Thank you AM for your advice!
      I realised that you must get tired of giving these same procedures
      quite often, so thank you for your time. For anyone else with
      membership trouble, scroll down to the bottom for information.

      Shane ya pup,
      What's this I hear of discipline?
      The only things that need discipline are your painfully long
      sentences which have become renowned within this group. If your head
      is so much faster than your fingers, well then learn to type!
      Have a good week!
      Colm.*

      *Shane's loving and ever-polite brother. :-)
      -Assistant Moderator

      ---In message #8672, the Assistant Moderator wrote:

      Basic Posting Procedure

      1. Create a Yahoo ID and password
      2. Join the Inspiration Group
      3. Set your member preferences to hide your email address (!!!)
      4. Post online here:

      You can get more details here:

      [That means you click on the above link to message #2485, read what
      is written there, and carefully follow the instructions.]

      Some key points from those instructions:

      - To join the Inspiration Group, please go to:

      and click on the "Join This Group" button. (You may be asked to
      enter your Yahoo ID and password.)

      To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences so that
      your email address will not be visible. AFTER JOINING THE
      INSPIRATION GROUP, just go to "Edit My Membership" here:

      And click "Hide my email and IP address ..."

      Please also check the option: "Do not convert to HTML."

      Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

      Once you've done that, you can go here to post online:

      (Do not post by sending an email.)

      Due to the large number of members and messages, everyone needs to
      please follow this procedure. Otherwise, your message may not
      appear.

      Hint: The steps are in order. First, you create a Yahoo account.
      Then, to do something on Yahoo, please sign in with your Yahoo ID
      and password. Then join the Inspiration Group. Only after you have
      joined the Inspiration Group (and are signed in to Yahoo) can you
      edit your member preferences to hide your email address. Finally,
      you post online here:

      Also, if you're concerned about online safety, you can find more
      information about safety here:

      If you're a new member whose first language is not English, maybe
      you know a friend who can help explain things. Please use the "buddy
      system."

      With so many members and messages, it's hard to contact each person
      individually. If I mention people's names, it's not to discourage
      them from posting, it's to encourage them to please post properly.

      If you're a new member, it will also help you to spend time reading
      the messages. If you're having trouble choosing a new topic, try
      replying to a popular topic, adding your "two cents."

      When starting a new topic, you post here:

      To reply to someone else's message, follow the instructions below.

      Replying To A Message

      The above link is for posting a NEW message topic. But if you want
      to REPLY to someone else's message:

      1. Sign in to Yahoo with the ID and password you used to join the
      Inspiration Group.

      2. Visit the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group, and locate the message
      you want to reply to. The messages are found here:

      3. While reading the message you want to reply to, hit the "Reply"
      button.

      4. Type or paste your new message in the message box, and send.
      Later, when your message appears, it should appear as a reply to the
      earlier message. This will help readers follow the topic!

      Note: Some people are confused by the warning that Yahoo gives when
      you reply to a message. One member wrote:

      "When I try to reply to a post, it warns me that people will be able
      to see my address, even though I hid it."

      Here's what actually happens. When you reply to a post in the
      Inspiration Group, by default, the option which is selected looks
      like this:

      To: Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com

      That option will send your message to the group while hiding your
      email address (assuming you've set your member preferences to hide
      your email address).

      At the same time, Yahoo gives you a warning which looks like this:

      "Warning: If you reply to the message author or the group owner,
      your email address will be displayed in the message you send."

      However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
      replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
      replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.

      All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
      Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
      Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer skills!

      Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your
      postings.

      Assistant Moderator

      PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could be
      because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
      lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut:

      http://tinyurl.com/2z72h/8672
    • shane_dublincentre
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2004
        Dear Colm,

        My sentences are a bit like yourself - one day I realised that they
        had grown bigger than me, and since then they have been throwing their
        weight about accordingly. :)

        Shane
        (Colm's brother, who thinks polite is a type of crystal)

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, colmbolmcolm
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > "Warning: If you reply to the message author or the group owner,
        > your email address will be displayed in the message you send."
        >
        > However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
        > replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
        > replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.
        >
        > All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
        > Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
        > Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer skills!
        >
        > Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your
        > postings.
        >
        > Assistant Moderator
        >
        > PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could be
        > because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
        > lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut:

      • abadnego2000
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
          Shane,

          It is so much fun to read your messages. I always get a good chuckle
          out of them. Thanks for the laughs.

          With Brotherly Love
          David
          Montreal

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Dear Colm,
          >
          > My sentences are a bit like yourself - one day I realised that they
          > had grown bigger than me, and since then they have been throwing
          their
          > weight about accordingly. :)
          >
          > Shane
          > (Colm's brother, who thinks polite is a type of crystal)
          >

          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, colmbolmcolm
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Thank you AM for your advice!
          > > I realised that you must get tired of giving these same
          procedures
          > > quite often, so thank you for your time. For anyone else with
          > > membership trouble, scroll down to the bottom for information.
          > >
          > > Shane ya pup,
          > > What's this I hear of discipline?
          > > The only things that need discipline are your painfully long
          > > sentences which have become renowned within this group. If your
          head
          > > is so much faster than your fingers, well then learn to type!
          > > Have a good week!
          > > Colm.*
          > >

          > > *Shane's loving and ever-polite brother. :-)
          > > -Assistant Moderator
          > >

          > > ---In message #8672, the Assistant Moderator wrote:
          > >
          > > Basic Posting Procedure
          > >
          > > 1. Create a Yahoo ID and password
          > > 2. Join the Inspiration Group
          > > 3. Set your member preferences to hide your email address (!!!)
          > > 4. Post online here:
          > >
          > > You can get more details here:

          > > [That means you click on the above link to message #2485, read
          what
          > > is written there, and carefully follow the instructions.]
          > >
          > > Some key points from those instructions:
          > >
          > > - To join the Inspiration Group, please go to:

          > > and click on the "Join This Group" button. (You may be asked to
          > > enter your Yahoo ID and password.)
          > >
          > > To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences so
          that
          > > your email address will not be visible. AFTER JOINING THE
          > > INSPIRATION GROUP, just go to "Edit My Membership" here:

          referer=1

> [...]
          > > your email address will be displayed in the message you send."
          > >
          > > However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
          > > replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
          > > replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.
          > >
          > > All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
          > > Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
          > > Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer
          skills!

          > > Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your
          > > postings.
          > >
          > > Assistant Moderator
          > >
          > > PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could
          be
          > > because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
          > > lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut:

        • Caitlin
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 21 9:08 PM
            [Dear Caitlin,
            please make sure to follow the safety guidelines
            appended at the end of your post.
            Thank you]

            Hi everyone! I do realize that this topic was posted ages ago but I
            only just found this website now, so I'm dusting it off.

            I got a kick out of the childhood prayers (and the childish fighting!
            teehee). While I was reading through here it reminded me of a letter I
            wrote to God when I was about 11. I wrote a letter of "prayer". Much
            like a wish list to Santa, it contained all of the things I wanted God
            to give me and to do for me. After writing the letter I put some
            crackers into the envelope and included a postscript which read; "ps:
            If you really exist, please eat these crackers."

            When I woke up the next morning, the first thing I did was open the
            envelope and (of course) the crackers were still there. I still
            remember how genuinely disappointed I was!

            Luckily it didn't shake my faith to the core, I do believe in a higher
            power to this day. But I just thought it would be really cool if God
            ate those crackers!

            Even as an 'innocent' child I was asking God to prove himself and
            make me rich. What hope do I have now, as a "corrupted" adult, to form
            any sort of a pure relationship with the divine? Haha.

            Take care everyone!

            Love, Caitlin

            [Dear Caitlin,
            For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below.

            1) Hide Your Email Address

            Please set your member preferences
            so that your email address will not be visible.

            - First click on this link:
            If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

            - Check the box where it says:
            "Hide my email and IP address from the group moderators"

            - Under "Message Delivery", select:
            "Web Only. Read messages only on the web"

            - Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

            Now when you post, your email address will not be visible anymore to anybody.

            2) Turn Off Invitations
            - First click on this link:
            If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

            Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email
            addresses will appear.

            - To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in
            blue. Click on it.

            Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:
            Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
            Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

            - By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
            - Click the Save Changes button.
            - Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

            Thank you
            Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]