Re: OT - response to Ed (was flying turtle)

  • niriha7
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2004
      Ed, I certainly understand how you could have difficulties in
      classroom situations. One of my sisters has a master's degree in
      special reading. I am not sure what that exactly entails, but even
      on the elementary school level, she had such difficulties with large
      classrooms - kids not dimensions - ha, ha. My experience with
      children has been more one on one (babysitting as we say in the US,
      nanny to you). It's important to protect children's innocence. It
      seems that from innocence springs the more divine aspects of the
      child's nature.

      You mention that you find jokes in children's joke books. Sri
      Chinmoy likes innocent joke books very much. It seems that you have
      happened on some good ones. Next time you come to NY, you may want
      to bring them with you. Just last year on the Christmas trip, Sri
      Chinmoy was asking for joke books. We were in Solo, Indonesia and
      went in a mad rush to the books stores in the city looking for joke
      books in English!

      About twenty people descended on the two, maybe three book stores in
      the city. That in itself was a joke. I breathlessly approached the
      cashier with my four joke books when someone who was there before me
      said, "We already got those books." I appreciated knowing that, but
      was disheartened as this was the second bookstore of two that I had
      gone to and this was the second time that the same thing had
      happened!

      Then something unusual happened. I distincely heard within, "Look
      upstairs again." Now I am one of those who often cannot tell the
      difference between my inner voice and my mind. More accurately, my
      mind eclipses my inner voice most of the time (only because I let
      it). It struck me that books that teach English just might have some
      funny illustrative stories, and I had noticed many such books while
      looking for the joke books. Lo and behold, there was this whole
      series of books for learning English that had short, humorous
      stories. Everyone really enjoyed them and I was happy. So start
      collecting some joke books!

      Niriha

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ed_silverton
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > Hi Niriha
      >
      > Thank you for your kind words. I work in art-related fields, and
      > although this doesn't always involve children, I do go into schools
      > from time to time when I'm working on some projects. Usually when
      I'm
      > with children in these situations, one of two things happens:
      either
      > we get on really well and I enjoy the experience so much that I end
      > up playing along with the children, totally ignoring the grown-ups
      > (and the project brief). Alternatively, for what ever reason, the
      > experience is really difficult, maybe the class is a bit too big or
      > uninspired or ill-informed and I end up a complete wreck from
      having
      > to keep some sense of order and focus to the proceedings. I am all
      > sympathy for school teachers in such situations.
      >
      > When searching for funny things to post here, I usually look in
      > children's joke books for a number of reasons:
      >
      > They are often the funniest (to me), they help me get into the
      > childlike consciousness, and they contain material that is more
      > suitable for posting here!.
      >
      > All the best
      > Ed
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Ed, I am curious. What do you do for work? It should definitely
      > > involve children!!! Niriha
      > >
      > > PS I really enjoy your jokes, stories, etc.
      > >

      > > -- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ed_silverton
      > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Two birds watched as a turtle took two hours to climb a tree,
      > then
      > > > perched on a branch and jumped off, crashing straight to the
      > ground.
      > > > Uninjured, the turtle began the long climb up the tree again,
      > > jumped,
      > > > and fell to the ground.
      > > >
      > > > "Honey," said the first bird to the second, "don't you think
      it's
      > > > time we told Freddy he's adopted?"
      > > >
      > > > Ed
    • ed_silverton
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
        Hi again Niriha,

        Thanks for reply and joke book suggestion, will do! By the way did
        you happen to hear about the boat load of shoes that sunk in the
        Atlantic? It seems that 300 soles were lost at sea.