What do we love?

  • anitabusic
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2004
      Here is a passage on doubt from "The Divine Hero" by Sri Chinmoy,
      page 136, which left a special impression upon my mind and heart. I
      especially like the last two sentences:

      "In the spiritual life we constantly fight. We do not fight against
      an enemy outside ourselves, but we fight against our own inner
      enemies: fear, doubt, anxiety and worry. In comparison with doubt,
      all other obstacles pale into insignificance. If a seeker is making
      very fast progress or when he has gone a long way in the spiritual
      life, even then he may be a victim of doubt. I always say that doubt
      is slow poison.

      "You are God's chosen child. When you go deep within and accept the
      spiritual life, you have to feel that doubt is the worst thief in
      your life. It is taking away all your precious inner wealth. Also,
      doubt is your worst enemy. Why? Because doubt starts doubting
      itself. Today you doubt someone and tomorrow you doubt yourself.
      Today you have come to one conclusion and tomorrow another wave of
      doubt is washed away. No, it has only been replaced by another doubt.
      In life, everything depends on love. Unfortunately, some people love
      doubt. Outwardly they say they hate it, but inwardly, unconsciously
      or consciously, they cherish it. They feel that if they do not
      doubt, they are not wise. When the mind doubts someone, it feels
      great satisfaction in becoming the judge. The moment we doubt
      someone, we feel that we are a step higher than they are. This is
      absolutely wrong. In the spiritual life nobody is superior and
      nobody is inferior. We are all instruments manifesting different
      aspects of God's multiplicity."

      Now you see why the last two sentences I like the most!

      One of God's instruments,
      Anita