OT - Painting Party: a Cordial Invitation

  • sumangali_m
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
      There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has blown
      away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey and
      ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own way, but
      I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I am
      always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this time
      of year.)

      I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
      celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
      a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a fix of
      colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds when I
      visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri Chinmoy):
      John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
      jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life to
      those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the rather
      uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)

      Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving for
      colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut like
      me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
      very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
      definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s) if you
      get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though: Oceanids from
      Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.

      Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
      isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.

      Sumangali
      :oD
      (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
    • bihagee
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 28, 2004
        Hey Sumangali!

        I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
        John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to find
        them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really feel I
        enter into another world with a different consciousness that I enjoy
        like anything!

        Have a very colourful day!

        Bihagee

        ---In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has
        blown
        > away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey and
        > ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own way,
        but
        > I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I am
        > always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this
        time
        > of year.)
        >
        > I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
        > celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
        > a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a fix
        of
        > colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds when
        > visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri
        Chinmoy):
        > John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
        > jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life to
        > those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the
        rather
        > uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)
        >
        > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving for
        > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut like
        > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
        > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
        > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s) if
        you
        > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though: Oceanids
        from
        > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
        >
        > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
        > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
        >
        > Sumangali
        > :oD
        > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
      • amelialloyd
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 29, 2004
          Hello Sumangali and Bihagee,

          I don't know John Waterhouse's work at all but since your postings
          were about painting I felt I had to write something! I would like to
          recommend J.M.W. Turner's work to anyone who feels the need for some
          colour these autumnal days. His later works in particular are
          involved mainly with light and colour, and although they have their
          roots in figurative painting they become increasingly abstract as he
          gets older. He painted a lot of seascapes and the effects of light on
          the water. You can get lost in the irridesence of a sunrise and it is
          so bright that I find it amazing he managed to create such beauty out
          of PAINT! I do not have the names of the paintings here or even a
          website, but I do know that the Tate Britain has a large collection
          of his work in the Clore Gallery. Perhaps you could try a search
          on 'Tate Britain.'

          Enjoy looking, and I'd just like to add, for the record, that I
          actually like the cold wet days of Autumn. If only the trees in this
          country turned red or golden instead of brown!

          Amelia

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bihagee
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Hey Sumangali!
          >
          > I just wanted to share how happy I am I found another admirer of
          > John Waterhouse! God's gifts are just amazing, you just have to find
          > them inside you and develop them. When I am drawing, I really feel I
          > enter into another world with a different consciousness that I enjoy
          > like anything!
          >
          > Have a very colourful day!
          >
          > Bihagee
          >

          > ---In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has
          > blown
          > > away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey
          and
          > > ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own way,
          > but
          > > I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I
          am
          > > always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this
          > time
          > > of year.)
          > >
          > > I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
          > > celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
          > > a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a fix
          > of
          > > colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds when
          > > visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri
          > Chinmoy):
          > > John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
          > > jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life
          > > those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the
          > rather
          > > uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)
          > >
          > > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving for
          > > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut
          like
          > > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
          > > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
          > > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s) if
          > you
          > > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though: Oceanids
          > from
          > > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
          > >
          > > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
          > > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
          > >
          > > Sumangali
          > > :oD
          > > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
        • doriscott20002000
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 29, 2004
            Dear Sumangali,

            I have a similar feeling about the seasons as you are describing
            them. I like your words; I can't possibly be expected to wait for
            spring to dish out its celestial beauty.

            Both my colleagues in the office are lovers of cold weather. I hope
            we will turn on the heater soon. I am occupied with closing the
            window countless times a day. Huh!;-(

            I visited the website of John William Waterhouse. The natural
            appearance of the colors is astonishing. But I am not qualified to
            give any deeper comment on the paintings.

            But I CAN highly recommend the art gallery of Sulamith Wülfing, my
            favourite painter. I am sure you will like it very much.

            They say about Sulamith Wülfing: "Her paintings capture the
            innocence and wonder of the land of Fairies and Angels."

            When you look at her paintings you are transferred to a subtle world
            of beauty in color and feeling.

            And they are definitely also inspiring for chaps, whatever you mean
            by that. It is a funny word, I didn't find the translation in my
            dictionary.

            Enjoy it.

            Doris

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > There has been an awful lot of weather here lately, which has blown
            > away most of the prettiness. Everything is getting a bit grey and
            > ominous for my liking. Okay, winter is charming in its own way,
            but
            > I reckon God just created it to make spring even springier. (I am
            > always unashamedly jealous of the Southern Hemisphere folk this
            time
            > of year.)
            >
            > I can't possibly be expected to wait for spring to dish out its
            > celestial beauty, so I cheated. Actually I've been cheating for
            > a while by visiting the gallery on the Sri Chinmoy site for a fix
            of
            > colour. Today my cheating reached further beyond its bounds when I
            > visited the website of my favourite painter (apart from Sri
            Chinmoy):
            > John William Waterhouse. Now there's someone who appreciates a
            > jolly good swashbuckling legend. He gives such convincing life to
            > those lost forgotten worlds. All very restorative after the rather
            > uncomfortable, itchy kind of week I'm having :-)
            >
            > Is anyone else out there in the Northern Hemisphere starving for
            > colour? Got a favourite artist? Anyone a Pre-Raphaelite nut like
            > me? Get your fix at johnwilliamwaterhouse.com if so. It's all
            > very "girl-power", so chaps probably won't like it, but I
            > definitely do. I would start with the later paintings (1910s) if
            you
            > get a chance to visit. Better know your nymphs though: Oceanids
            from
            > Nereids, Naiads from Dryads, you know.
            >
            > Staggering what one person can create in just one fleeting life
            > isn't it? Then we're used to being staggered by that fact.
            >
            > Sumangali
            > :oD
            > (Inspired by creations' creations as well as Creator's)
          • niriha7
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
              Hi Sumangali, Bihagee and Amelia, My vote for a painter or painters
              who make use of colour in their paintings is Marc Chagall and an
              Austrian painter by the name Huntervasser. Amelia, before you were
              born, I was wandering around the Tate Gallery and saw Turner's work.
              The Tate has a wonderful collection of his work. Huntervasser's use
              of colour is not as subtle as either Waterhouse's or Turner's,
              however. More like a child who has been given the most complete
              crayon set imaginable!

              Niriha
              (who admittedly likes exclamation points)

              My brother Swapan said that I would not be able to speak if the
              English language did not have superlatives. Exclamation points are
              relatives of superlatives. Both might be signs of laziness -
              shortcuts to genuine expressiveness.

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, amelialloyd

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                Whoops! Obviously I did not study German in high school or college.
                The correct name and spelling of the artist I referred to is
                Friedensreich Hendertwasser. Niriha

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Dear Bihagee, Amelia, Doris and Anami

                  Thank you for responding to my invitation. It was fun to find out
                  about your favourite artists!

                  Doris, do forgive my use of slang. I try to limit my colloquialisms,
                  especially British ones, but to do away with them altogether would
                  stifle my personality :o/ I will gladly attempt to define any other
                  slang upon request, but this may not be very useful to you.
                  "Chap" is a rather old-fashioned British word for man, boy or
                  fellow. Its use is still widespread though, so I hope you will allow
                  me to get away with it.

                  Bihagee, I am delighted to find in you not only a fellow admirer of
                  JW Waterhouse's work, but also a fellow artist! I look forward
                  to seeing some of your work!

                  I appreciate the Pre-Raphaelite movement for many reasons. Here is a
                  short background for anyone who is not familiar with it. Dante
                  Gabriel Rossetti initiated the movement in 1848 as a kind of
                  rebellion against the Renaissance movement (Raphael was one of the
                  main Renaissance painters). Renaissance art was seen as contrived,
                  pretentious and overrated by the Pre-Raphaelites. They therefore
                  made a stand by working with real subjects, as well as realistic
                  light and colour, to depict meaningful stories.

                  I personally have nothing against Renaissance art, though admittedly
                  it doesn't interest me that much. What I like about
                  Pre-Raphaelite painting is that it represents a search for lost truth
                  and realism. It seeks a return to child-like purity, innocence and
                  lack of self-consciousness. The fact that such qualities can be
                  regained and re-discovered even when they have been temporarily
                  mislaid, I find very encouraging! One can draw a parallel in this
                  sense between Pre-Raphaelite painting and the spiritual life. Of
                  course I also love the bold, fresh use of colour, the exquisite
                  beauty of the subjects, and the jolly good swashbuckling legends they
                  so often represent!

                  Sumangali
                  :oD

                  ___________________

                  Anami wrote (#8918):

                  Hi to all art-lovers,

                  Nice to hear from John William Waterhouse – I liked the web site
                  very
                  much.
                  http://www.johnwilliamwaterhouse.com/

                  Here some more web sites from:

                  J.M.W. Turner
                  http://www.j-m-w-turner.co.uk/

                  Sulamith Wülfling:
                  http://wulfing.artpassions.net/

                  Caspar David Friedrich – a romantic artist who I always liked
                  much:
                  http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/friedrich_caspar_david.html

                  Maybe there is more which someone can recommend?
                  Maybe from India or Japan or Australia….????

                  I am looking forward to hearing more
                  Anami

                  ___________________

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                    Dear Sumangali,

                    I am very sorry for causing any misunderstanding. From the context I
                    got the meaning of "chap." The dictionary that I have at home houses
                    only 120000 words. I meant that I didn't find the word in MY
                    dictionary. And I mentioned that, because I was using the same word
                    in my reply. Maybe it was a poor joke. Please, don't limit yourself
                    in any way, I am eager to learn. Sorry again.

                    Doris

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
                      Niriha,
                      the proper name is "Hundertwasser."

                      I enjoy your postings very much. I am one of the many swashbuckling
                      disciples you have ever driven to the airport.

                      Have a n... day

                      Doris

                      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, niriha7

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 4, 2004
                        Since we are in a painting mood, I can tell you what really
                        inspired me yesterday.

                        I was just starting to draw on one t-shirt when I felt
                        insecure if I am able to make it nice. I looked around my room and
                        I saw one prayer, just lying on a sheet of paper. That prayer helped
                        me make not only that shirt, but two more!

                        Keep your creativity strong,