Poetry

  • prachar_1
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2003
      Sri Chinmoy's poetry is a never-ending source of guidance, beauty,
      inspiration and delight.

      There are life-lessons amongst these poems enough to chart our life-
      boats through every conceivable situation arising in a galaxy of
      lifetimes.

      Through my own feeble dabblings in poetry I find an appreciation for
      Sri Chinmoy's poetry ever-deepening.

      I like my own poems (otherwise why bother writing them?), simply
      because they remind me of the fathomless source that has inspired
      them...

      My tender smile-plant
      Grows brilliant resilient
      Only in
      Your rich silence-soil.

      - Prachar
    • nayak_ltp
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2003
        Dear Prachar,

        I like your poetry, too. And I am very proud of you for having the
        courage to post it. It is good, but even if it were not, it would
        carry the message that you mention: recognition of the unfathomalbe
        source that the poetry comes from.

        I am extremely and extremly and extremely grateful for all the
        expressions of divinity that I see in the works of our various
        brothers and sisters here.

        I also like very much the "muse" cassette tape that you produced some
        years ago.

        Please continue, Prachar, we shall enjoy reading whatever you offer.

        Yours,

        Nayak

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, prachar_1
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Sri Chinmoy's poetry is a never-ending source of guidance, beauty,
        > inspiration and delight.
        >
        > There are life-lessons amongst these poems enough to chart our life-
        > boats through every conceivable situation arising in a galaxy of
        > lifetimes.
        >
        > Through my own feeble dabblings in poetry I find an appreciation
        for
        > Sri Chinmoy's poetry ever-deepening.
        >
        > I like my own poems (otherwise why bother writing them?), simply
        > because they remind me of the fathomless source that has inspired
        > them...
        >

        > My tender smile-plant
        > Grows brilliant resilient
        > Only in
        > Your rich silence-soil.
        >

        > - Prachar
      • karpani_cis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2003
          Hi!
          I would like to share a few very beautiful aphorisms by Sri Chinmoy
          which I have been re-reading recently. Hope they will inspire you also!!

          Be happy.
          You will get
          What you like most.
          You will be
          What you like best.

          Every day
          There is only one thing to learn:
          How to be honestly happy.

          Nothing is difficult.
          This is what you should think
          Before you do anything.
          Nothing is easy.
          This is what you should feel
          Before you say anything.

          Cheers,
          Karpani
        • christopher_melb
          Message 4 of 10 , May 28 1:21 AM
            After enjoying a selection of Prachar's poem on his home page the
            other day I found myself inspired to write some poems of my own.
            Eventually I will put them on my own homepage but in the meantime I
            wanted to impart to everybody how enjoyable and also how soulful I
            found the entire process. It was amazing! Such a beautiful and
            fulfilling way to spend a few minutes.

            Christopher, Melbourne
          • niriha7
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              Hi Christopher,

              Your post inspired me to read Prachar's poems -
              http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/prachar/

              I think that is the link - the word "community" may have to be placed
              before the word "members".

              I found many of Prachar's poems to be truly moving. I was inspired
              by this collection of poems written to observe his 40th soul's day.
              I have always thought of him as a fine musician but did not know of
              his writing talent. Thank you for bringing this to my/our attention.

              As a tribute to the musician in Prachar, I offer this story that I
              just read recently:

              The year was 1958, in the middle of the "Cold War" between the US and
              Russia. The McCarthy hearings were looking for Communists under
              every bed, while the Russians had just won the "Space Race" by
              launching their Sputnik satellite ahead of the Americans. It was at
              this time that the First International Tchaikovsky Piano Competition
              was being held in Moscow. And a tall, gangly, naive young Texan who
              loved and had been trained in the romantic Russian tradition was on
              his way to compete.

              The 23-year-old Van Cliburn seemed oblivious to any political
              tensions. His mother, a classical pianist herself, had taught him
              from a young age, and at 17, he had then gone on to train with a
              Russian teacher at Juilliard School of Music in New York.

              He connected so closely and genuinely with the Russian musical spirit
              that the Russians responded in kind. By the time of his third and
              final round in the competition, all tickets were sold out, there was
              no standing room, and people were thronged outside in the streets.
              The Russians gave him a standing ovation that lasted 8 minutes.
              Worried about giving the prize to an American, the judges consulted
              Premier Kruschev himself, who asked, "Is Cliburn the best?" They
              replied that he was. "Then, in that case, give him the Prize!"
              declared Kruschev.

              When Van Cliburn returned to the US, for the first time in history,
              New York City gave a classical pianist a ticker-tape parade. Cliburn
              was featured on the cover of Time magazine as "The Texan Who
              Conquered Russia." But this was no political victory. It was a
              victory of the spirit. It was Van Cliburn's "naivete," his openness,
              and willingness to connect to his art that transcended all
              boundaries.

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, christopher_melb
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > After enjoying a selection of Prachar's poem on his home page the
              > other day I found myself inspired to write some poems of my own.
              > Eventually I will put them on my own homepage but in the meantime I
              > wanted to impart to everybody how enjoyable and also how soulful I
              > found the entire process. It was amazing! Such a beautiful and
              > fulfilling way to spend a few minutes.
              >
              > Christopher, Melbourne
            • purnakama2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 8, 2011
                I was just reading and revelling in one of the latest books published called " Live in the Eternal Now".
                It was our Celebrations book and it is transcriptions of talks given by Guru at different places over the years.

                Each talk is yet another window into our Guru's inner and outer existence.

                In one talk Guru was encouraging his disciples to write poetry and share it with others, so Doris, thank you so much for your poetry, and please keep sharing.

                If anyone was not able to aquire this book, I highly reccomend borrowing a copy and reading it.
                Savour it slowly.
                Most inspirational.

                Thanks to all who had a hand in compiling and publishing it.

                Purnakama
              • doris.cott
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                  Dear Purnakama,

                  Still reading the book it had/has a tangible impact on me too. Thank you for mentioning it. I am not sure Guru was particularly talking about me but it is true that I like to write poems. There are other times when I just let them fly away.

                  Two simple ones I may share, but only because of your encouragement. Thank *you* so much.

                  Twice

                  I am sad;
                  The progress-boat
                  Left without me.
                  I am sad;
                  I am not left alone
                  At shore.

                  I am happy;
                  It was not the last boat.
                  I am happy;
                  A seat was reserved
                  For me.

                  -Doris
                • brahmata13
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 13, 2011
                    Yes! I was also quite taken with this book. Although I may change my mind later, I think I will go so far as to say it is currently my favorite of Guru's books. It has this quality that it feels like so much more than just prose, like every word is being spoken to you directly.

                    I found this particular section, where Guru was encouraging his disciples to write and share poetry and songs, particularly fascinating. Guru talks about his significant artistic creations and contributions to humanity and how he will be so grateful to us if we can share these things with others. Then he goes on to say; "You should also write and express yourself." and he suggests that we form "secret and sacred clubs" to share our music and poetry with one another.

                    What a concept! I love it.

                    So I think I will try it out, invite some kindred spirits and have somewhat of an open mic.

                    I would let you know how it goes, but if I post about it it won't be so "secret and sacred" anymore, will it?

                    Hmmm... rule #1 of poetry club: do not talk about poetry club! :)

                    In the meantime, my brothers and sisters, enjoy reading and enjoy creating.

                    -Brahmata
                  • doris.cott
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 14, 2011
                      Hi,

                      I like to imagine how Guru is watching his earthly children marvelling over his holy and insightful words:

                      He also said in "The Branches Of My Life-Tree":

                      "I have been a poet all my life. At the age of four or five, I started trying to rhyme in Bengali. Then at the age of seven, I was able to dictate poems to my brother Chitta."

                      "If I could express all these lofty realisations on a plane infinitely higher than the English language or the Bengali language, then only would I do justice to them."

                      "Many, many of my poems will touch the inmost depths of your aspiring heart. If you can dive deep within the heart of my poetry, you will see that you can get so much out of three or four lines."

                      I love all of Guru's writings with no exception. I was very surprised to read the following:

                      "If you want to march towards the goal with confidence, then read my prose. Again, if you want to just run towards the goal, faster than the fastest, while your entire being is flooded with softness and tenderness, than you can read my poetry." (unofficial)
                    • purnakama2000
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 16, 2011
                        Yes Doris it is interesting that Guru would say that, but it really makes sense. Guru wrote prose to feed our hungry western intelectual minds, but he wrote poetry to feed our hearts and souls. The heart always runs faster than the mind, although the mind likes to think it's the other way around :)

                        And speaking of poetry, another fantastic book that I picked up at Celebrations was put together by Karpani and friends from Oneness Dreamboat shore.
                        It's called "The Golden Bridge Between Man and God".

                        It is a large collection of Guru's poetry, artfully categorized with topics such as "Pleasing the Master", "My Master's Life Transforming Touch", and "Lean on Me".
                        Most of the poems are brand new to me and absolutely speak to the heart.
                        I will leave a few here before I sign off.

                        And please keep writing and sharing your poems. I still marvel that English is not your first language.

                        "My Master's affection for me
                        is endless
                        And expects nothing in return."

                        "Just as the Supreme
                        Has made your Master His supremely chosen instrument,
                        Even so at His choice Hour,
                        The Supreme will make you
                        His supremely chosen instrument.
                        Just be obedient, be patient,
                        Inwardly and outwardly."

                        "You place your Master's picture
                        Upon your heart,
                        And your Master keeps your picture
                        In the very depths of his heart."

                        "You may not see
                        anything significant in your life,
                        But if the Master sees something significant in your life,
                        Then have implicit faith in him."

                        "Because of his identification-oneness,
                        Where his spiritual children are,
                        The Master is there,"