I love stories

  • asthaloy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2003
      Hi All.

      I get tremendous joy reading Guru's writings, and whenever I need to
      relax for a few moments, I always seem to go for a story book. Here is
      a story from a great series called "Life's Bleeding Tears and Flying
      Smiles"
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-life-tears-smiles/part2

      Asthaloy

      The King's Astrologer

      A king wanted to have an excellent astrologer in his court so that,
      before he did anything, he could ask the astrologer's opinion and the
      astrologer would be able to tell him what to do. He made an
      announcement for all the excellent astrologers in his kingdom to come
      to his palace. Then he would test them and he would choose one to be
      his personal astrologer.

      Many astrologers came because they wanted to be the king's astrologer.
      The king himself knew quite a few astrologers. But one particular
      astrologer did not come. The king said, "Practically all the
      astrologers have come from all over my kingdom. How is it that this
      particular one has not come? Where has Ram gone? He is also an
      astrologer."

      Ram did not come, but the others all came. They were all ready to be
      examined by the king. Finally, the king sent for Ram, the great
      astrologer. The king asked, "Why did you not come? All the other
      astrologers have come. What is wrong with you?"

      Ram said, "O King, forgive me, forgive me! I will say something that
      will annoy you, but I am telling you anyway. You have to forgive me
      first, before I say anything."

      The king said, "I will always forgive you. Say whatever you have to
      say."

      Ram said, "These astrologers are all idiots. They have come here with
      the hope of becoming your personal astrologer. I know that you are
      going to ask me to take the job. You are going to appoint me because
      any question you ask me, I will be able to answer. If you ask these
      idiots any question, let me see if they can answer it. I was
      absolutely sure that you would choose me, so I did not want to be with
      these idiot-astrologers. It is beneath my dignity to mix with them. I
      do not want to be examined along with them. You can examine me
      privately or do anything you like. What kind of astrologers are they
      if they do not know that I will get the job? If they do not know even
      this much, are you going to keep them with you permanently? O King, is
      it fair that you are going to keep these idiots here when they do not
      even know who is going to be appointed for the post? They have come to
      you for the highest post, and even this much they do not know!"

      The king was very pleased. He threw out all the other astrologers and
      appointed Ram to be his astrologer. All the others felt miserable. Ram
      was such a rogue! The others all had to go home full of humiliation.

      Sri Chinmoy