OT - Childhood Prayers

  • shane_dublincentre
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 22, 2004
      This is one of the prayers I said every nighttime as a kid. Dad
      would come up and stand at the end of the bed, and as a cue to
      start, he would say the first line of the prayer in a rather tired,
      maybe even slightly sad voice - a long day at work, coupled with the
      knowledge that we weren't really paying that much attention to the
      prayer, we were suppressing giggles most of the time and hatching
      plans to beat each other up. So the prayer would start...

      "God bless me and make me a good holy boy. Watch over and take care
      of me. God bless Mammy and Daddy and Shane and Keith and Colm and
      Louise and Aidan and Smut (the dog) and Bingo (the pony) and the
      sheep and the cattle..."

      That was the standard part of the prayer. What I like about it was
      that it's not written down in any catechism, it's just something
      handed down orally from generation to generation. I can imagine my
      granny (who was pretty much a saint without the tassels) saying out
      the exact same thing in front of her 13 children. The problem was
      that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
      rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
      bless....

      "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)

      "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
      ball back, then we'll bless him."

      "God bless Mother Teresa."

      "She doesn't live here."

      "But she's a..."

      "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."

      Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the light
      now. Good night."

      "Night, Dad."

      I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
      finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."

      Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?

      Shane
    • niriha7
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 22, 2004
        Shane, That was really amusing. Perhaps your Dad's spirits were
        lifted a bit by his kids' interactions with one another. He must
        have been amused. Being from a family of seven children, I had no
        trouble visualizing the scene!

        My dad shocked, maybe only surprised some us one Thanksgiving. We
        asked him to say grace and he said, "Father, Son, Holy Ghost,
        whoever eats the fastest gets the most." Perhaps that is an old joke
        but at the time, none of us had ever heard it. Sorry I don't have
        some really inspiring prayer memories but my religious background
        growing up was eclectic to say the least. My dad's father was an
        Irish Catholic immigrant. His mother was an immigrant from Odessa,
        Russia and a Russian Jew. My mother's brother lived in India for
        eight years, had a Guru and received a Ph.D in Sanskrit. My mother
        was a Zen Buddhist who listened raptly to her brother when he
        returned from India, lived with us and lectured on Sri Aurobindo.
        The house already had 9 occupants before he came. He taught us Yoga
        postures. As a child, I was allowed to choose where I wanted to go
        to Sunday School. My choice of Sunday School depended on where my
        friends went, especially my particular crush at the time. By my late
        teens, I was sincerely inspired by Mary Baker Eddy and Christian
        Science.

        Sorry not to respond with a memory of a sweet childhood prayer, but
        thanks for invoking some interesting and inspiring memories! Niriha

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shane_dublincentre
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

        > This is one of the prayers I said every nighttime as a kid. Dad
        > would come up and stand at the end of the bed, and as a cue to
        > start, he would say the first line of the prayer in a rather tired,
        > maybe even slightly sad voice - a long day at work, coupled with the
        > knowledge that we weren't really paying that much attention to the
        > prayer, we were suppressing giggles most of the time and hatching
        > plans to beat each other up. So the prayer would start...
        >
        > "God bless me and make me a good holy boy. Watch over and take care
        > of me. God bless Mammy and Daddy and Shane and Keith and Colm and
        > Louise and Aidan and Smut (the dog) and Bingo (the pony) and the
        > sheep and the cattle..."
        >
        > That was the standard part of the prayer. What I like about it was
        > that it's not written down in any catechism, it's just something
        > handed down orally from generation to generation. I can imagine my
        > granny (who was pretty much a saint without the tassels) saying out
        > the exact same thing in front of her 13 children. The problem was
        > that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
        > rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
        > bless....
        >
        > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
        >
        > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
        > ball back, then we'll bless him."
        >
        > "God bless Mother Teresa."
        >
        > "She doesn't live here."
        >
        > "But she's a..."
        >
        > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."
        >
        > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the light
        > now. Good night."
        >
        > "Night, Dad."
        >
        > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
        > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."
        >
        > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?
        >
        > Shane
      • sare_bear2713
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 22, 2004
          Your prayers really made me chuckle. Very cute.

          My family wasn't religious when I was growing up, so I don't really
          have any prayers to share. I do remember though that my favourite
          place in the world was a little secret spot that my brother and I
          found by the River Murray (South Australia). My brother and I
          discovered a pelican's nest in the middle of all these reeds. I used
          to hide away there on my own and just look out at the water and the
          sky and the cliffs and listen to the lapping of the waves on the
          bank. Sometimes I still think of this place, and I'm sure it was my
          first introduction to meditation.

          Sarah
          Melbourne

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > This is one of the prayers I said every nighttime as a kid. Dad
          > would come up and stand at the end of the bed, and as a cue to
          > start, he would say the first line of the prayer in a rather tired,
          > maybe even slightly sad voice - a long day at work, coupled with
          the
          > knowledge that we weren't really paying that much attention to the
          > prayer, we were suppressing giggles most of the time and hatching
          > plans to beat each other up. So the prayer would start...
          >
          > "God bless me and make me a good holy boy. Watch over and take care
          > of me. God bless Mammy and Daddy and Shane and Keith and Colm and
          > Louise and Aidan and Smut (the dog) and Bingo (the pony) and the
          > sheep and the cattle..."
          >
          > That was the standard part of the prayer. What I like about it was
          > that it's not written down in any catechism, it's just something
          > handed down orally from generation to generation. I can imagine my
          > granny (who was pretty much a saint without the tassels) saying out
          > the exact same thing in front of her 13 children. The problem was
          > that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
          > rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
          > bless....
          >
          > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
          >
          > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
          > ball back, then we'll bless him."
          >
          > "God bless Mother Teresa."
          >
          > "She doesn't live here."
          >
          > "But she's a..."
          >
          > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."
          >
          > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the
          light
          > now. Good night."
          >
          > "Night, Dad."
          >
          > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
          > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."
          >
          > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?
          >
          > Shane
        • erika2713
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 24, 2004
            Hello Shane,

            I grew up in a Catholic family. When I was small I stayed with my
            grandparents a great deal. My grandmother in her early years
            attended a school where nuns were their teachers. Hence, they used
            to meditate on the hour, pray the rosary and sing spiritual songs.
            My grandmother guided me at an early age in the way of prayer and
            Catholic ritual.

            I remember at the age of four my grandmother teaching me to pray. I
            was kneeling beside my bed and praying with hands folded in
            Hungarian (as my grandparents left Hungary to come to Australia in
            1958). After prayers we sang the following song to Jesus in
            Hungarian.

            Jezuska, Jezuska, figyel most rejam,

            translation: Jesus, Jesus look after me

            kis szivem kis szivem szeret igazan

            translation: my little heart, my little heart loves you truly

            szivemet egeszen neked adom

            translation: I give my whole heart to you

            szeres te is engemet nagyon nagyon

            translation: love me very much too.

            Jezuska, Jezuska most haza megyek

            translation: Jesus, Jesus I am going home now

            Ald meg is segits hogy mindeg jo legyek

            translation: Bless me and always help me to be good.

            Neked it egyedul rossz lesz nagyon

            translation: To be by yourself will be very difficult

            Azert a kis szivemet nalad hagyom

            translation: that's why I will leave my little heart in your care.

            I am very grateful to my grandmother for teaching me to pray at an
            early age as it has been routine that has been instilled at an early
            age. I am also grateful to have Sri Chinmoy as a teacher to help
            me to gain greater depth in my prayers and meditation.

            Much gratitude:)

            Erika - Melbourne

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > This is one of the prayers I said every nighttime as a kid. Dad
            > would come up and stand at the end of the bed, and as a cue to
            > start, he would say the first line of the prayer in a rather tired,
            > maybe even slightly sad voice - a long day at work, coupled with
            the
            > knowledge that we weren't really paying that much attention to the
            > prayer, we were suppressing giggles most of the time and hatching
            > plans to beat each other up. So the prayer would start...
            >
            > "God bless me and make me a good holy boy. Watch over and take care
            > of me. God bless Mammy and Daddy and Shane and Keith and Colm and
            > Louise and Aidan and Smut (the dog) and Bingo (the pony) and the
            > sheep and the cattle..."
            >
            > That was the standard part of the prayer. What I like about it was
            > that it's not written down in any catechism, it's just something
            > handed down orally from generation to generation. I can imagine my
            > granny (who was pretty much a saint without the tassels) saying out
            > the exact same thing in front of her 13 children. The problem was
            > that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
            > rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
            > bless....
            >
            > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
            >
            > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
            > ball back, then we'll bless him."
            >
            > "God bless Mother Teresa."
            >
            > "She doesn't live here."
            >
            > "But she's a..."
            >
            > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."
            >
            > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the
            light
            > now. Good night."
            >
            > "Night, Dad."
            >
            > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
            > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."
            >
            > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?
            >
            > Shane
          • dharmaja
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 24, 2004
              Greetings, Erika, much gratitude for this prayer. I am retelling it
              here, English only, so it will be easy for people to read.

              Jesus, Jesus look after me
              My little heart, my little heart loves you truly
              I give my whole heart to you
              Love me very much too.
              Jesus, Jesus I am going home now
              Bless me and always help me to be good.
              To be by yourself will be very difficult
              That's why I will leave my little heart in your care.

              Dharmaja
              San Diego
              (swimming in the sea of tears)
              _____________________________________

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, erika2713
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > bless....
              > >
              > > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
              > >
              > > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us
              our
              > > ball back, then we'll bless him."
              > >
              > > "God bless Mother Teresa."
              > >
              > > "She doesn't live here."
              > >
              > > "But she's a..."
              > >
              > > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this
              road."

              > > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the
              > light
              > > now. Good night."
              > >
              > > "Night, Dad."
              > >
              > > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
              > > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy.
              Amen."

              > > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?

            • mateszekely
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 25, 2004
                Dear Shane,

                Thank you for posting this very sweet piece. I remember quite
                clearly that I used to pray in my childhood, although I was never
                thought so by anyone. (at least in this incarnation:-)).

                Mate

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                > This is one of the prayers I said every nighttime as a kid. Dad
                > would come up and stand at the end of the bed, and as a cue to
                > start, he would say the first line of the prayer in a rather tired,
                > maybe even slightly sad voice - a long day at work, coupled with the
                > knowledge that we weren't really paying that much attention to the
                > prayer, we were suppressing giggles most of the time and hatching
                > plans to beat each other up. So the prayer would start...
                >
                > "God bless me and make me a good holy boy. Watch over and take care
                > of me. God bless Mammy and Daddy and Shane and Keith and Colm and
                > Louise and Aidan and Smut (the dog) and Bingo (the pony) and the
                > sheep and the cattle..."
                >
                > That was the standard part of the prayer. What I like about it was
                > that it's not written down in any catechism, it's just something
                > handed down orally from generation to generation. I can imagine my
                > granny (who was pretty much a saint without the tassels) saying out
                > the exact same thing in front of her 13 children. The problem was
                > that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
                > rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
                > bless....
                >
                > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
                >
                > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
                > ball back, then we'll bless him."
                >
                > "God bless Mother Teresa."
                >
                > "She doesn't live here."
                >
                > "But she's a..."
                >
                > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."
                >
                > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the light
                > now. Good night."
                >
                > "Night, Dad."
                >
                > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
                > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."
                >
                > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?
                >
                > Shane
              • tatiana_thehague
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 25, 2004
                  Erika, that is such a sweet and beautiful prayer!

                  Funny, just before I turned on the computer I found a little
                  Hungarian prayer book I bought on my first holiday by myself, about
                  15 years ago. I had totally forgotten about it. And the first
                  message I read here is about an Hungarian prayer, with a
                  translation, this time.

                  Growing up my parents were atheists, but I had two Christian
                  grandmothers. One of my grandmothers, who was Dutch Reformed,
                  taught me this song. For years I have sung it before going to
                  sleep. In secrecy - I didn't want anyone to know about it!

                  Tatiana

                  Ik ga slapen ik ben moe
                  'k sluit mijn beide oogjes toe
                  Here, houdt ook deze nacht
                  over mij getrouw de wacht

                  't Boze dat ik heb gedaan
                  Zie dat Here toch niet aan
                  Schoon mijn zonde velen zijn
                  Maak om Jezus wil mij rein

                  Translation:

                  I am going to bed, I am tired
                  I close both my little eyes
                  Lord, also for this night
                  Hold me and keep me safe.

                  The bad I might have done
                  Please don't hold it against me
                  Though my sins might be plenty
                  Make me pure in the name of Jesus.

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > Hello Shane,
                  >
                  > I grew up in a Catholic family. When I was small I stayed with my
                  > grandparents a great deal. My grandmother in her early years
                  > attended a school where nuns were their teachers. Hence, they
                  used
                  > to meditate on the hour, pray the rosary and sing spiritual
                  songs.
                  > My grandmother guided me at an early age in the way of prayer and
                  > Catholic ritual.
                  >
                  > I remember at the age of four my grandmother teaching me to pray.
                  > was kneeling beside my bed and praying with hands folded in
                  > Hungarian (as my grandparents left Hungary to come to Australia in
                  > 1958). After prayers we sang the following song to Jesus in
                  > Hungarian.
                  >

                  > Jezuska, Jezuska, figyel most rejam,
                  >
                  > translation: Jesus, Jesus look after me
                  >
                  > kis szivem kis szivem szeret igazan
                  >
                  > translation: my little heart, my little heart loves you truly
                  >
                  > szivemet egeszen neked adom
                  >
                  > translation: I give my whole heart to you
                  >
                  > szeres te is engemet nagyon nagyon
                  >
                  > translation: love me very much too.
                  >

                  > Jezuska, Jezuska most haza megyek
                  >
                  > translation: Jesus, Jesus I am going home now
                  >
                  > Ald meg is segits hogy mindeg jo legyek
                  >
                  > translation: Bless me and always help me to be good.
                  >
                  > Neked it egyedul rossz lesz nagyon
                  >
                  > translation: To be by yourself will be very difficult
                  >
                  > Azert a kis szivemet nalad hagyom
                  >
                  > translation: that's why I will leave my little heart in your care.
                  >
                  > I am very grateful to my grandmother for teaching me to pray at an
                  > early age as it has been routine that has been instilled at an
                  early
                  > age. I am also grateful to have Sri Chinmoy as a teacher to help
                  > me to gain greater depth in my prayers and meditation.
                  >
                  > Much gratitude:)
                  >
                  > Erika - Melbourne

                • beverly_canada
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 25, 2004
                    The following prayer is from the book "A Child's Heart & A Child's
                    Dreams" by Sri Chinmoy, in the chapter titled "Children's
                    Conversations With God":

                    God,
                    I pray to You to make me Your sweetest and dearest child.
                    I pray to You to make me as kind as You are.
                    I pray to You to make me listen to You every day.
                    I pray to You to make me think of You always.
                    I pray to You to give me the capacity to please You
                    every day, every hour, every minute and every second.

                    My son and I say it together in the morning. So far we're trying
                    simple songs by Sri Chinmoy at bedtime, but haven't hit on quite the
                    right song, poem or prayer to end the day. Thank-you Shane and
                    Erika, for sharing your childhood prayers and Dharmaja for the
                    English retelling.

                    Beverly, Vancouver

                    --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, dharmaja
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > bless....
                    > > >
                    > > > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
                    > > >
                    > > > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us
                    > our
                    > > > ball back, then we'll bless him."
                    > > >
                    > > > "God bless Mother Teresa."
                    > > >
                    > > > "She doesn't live here."
                    > > >
                    > > > "But she's a..."
                    > > >
                    > > > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this
                    > road."
                    > > >
                    > > > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the
                    > > light
                    > > > now. Good night."
                    > > >
                    > > > "Night, Dad."
                    > > >
                    > > > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
                    > > > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy.
                    > Amen."
                    > > >
                    > > > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?

                  • erika2713
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 26, 2004
                      Dear Tatiana,

                      Your prayer is very sweet. Thank you for sharing. Sometimes we need
                      to hold special prayers close to our hearts and keep them quiet.
                      Other times we can share them and hopefully inspire others.

                      Many blessings to you

                      Erika - Melbourne.

                      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, tatiana_thehague
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > >
                      > > translation: I give my whole heart to you
                      > >
                      > > szeres te is engemet nagyon nagyon
                      > >
                      > > translation: love me very much too.
                      > >

                      > > Jezuska, Jezuska most haza megyek
                      > >
                      > > translation: Jesus, Jesus I am going home now
                      > >
                      > > Ald meg is segits hogy mindeg jo legyek
                      > >
                      > > translation: Bless me and always help me to be good.
                      > >
                      > > Neked it egyedul rossz lesz nagyon
                      > >
                      > > translation: To be by yourself will be very difficult
                      > >
                      > > Azert a kis szivemet nalad hagyom
                      > >
                      > > translation: that's why I will leave my little heart in your
                      care.

                      > > I am very grateful to my grandmother for teaching me to pray at
                      an
                      > > early age as it has been routine that has been instilled at an
                      > early
                      > > age. I am also grateful to have Sri Chinmoy as a teacher to
                      help
                      > > me to gain greater depth in my prayers and meditation.

                    • colmbolmcolm
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2004
                        [From Colm]

                        Hey Shane!

                        I hope you check out all the replies when you get time, the prayers
                        are beautiful. I especially like Erika and Tatiana's prayers and
                        thank them. They are really sweet and portray the image of a child's
                        pure heart. I read Uranta's message too on the 40th anniversary; it
                        was equally inspiring.

                        First of all, I best explain that I'm Shane's younger (but bigger)
                        brother! I had totally forgotten that we used to say prayers at
                        night, but once I read the message you wrote, I dived right into the
                        depths of my memory cells and it all came rushing back!

                        I pity these particular memory cells, that thought they were safe,
                        very comfortable in the depths of my brain and thinking (if cells
                        had thoughts) "haha, we'll never be remembered," but now from
                        nowhere I've gone and plucked them from their sleepy-warm abodes!

                        Anyway, I remember it all. While praying I think I was the most
                        creative with: God bless Mam, Dad...etc. but I would list every
                        person in the parish and every animal that Noah took on the ark! I
                        would even go to extremes with God Bless Granny and granny's granny
                        and granny's granny's granny and so on! I think the prayer usually
                        ended with a big Amen but I usually forgot someone on the list and
                        would blurt ..oh..oh..and......and.... nala the pet sheep!

                        I also recall that you and Keith would be in another room just down
                        the hallway. On occasion when Dad would go into your room, myself,
                        Aidan and Louise would either be jumping up and down on bed or
                        wrestling or giggling at whatever we could giggle at! Dad would
                        effortlessly throw his voice down the hallway: "Colm, have your
                        prayers ready." In other words, have the list of people you want to
                        bless prepared! It was a lovely, innocent prayer and it's a really
                        nice memory. I hope them memory cells like their new home in the
                        layaway area of my brain!!

                        Colm.

                        [Dear Colm, welcome aboard! To post successfully, please set your
                        member preferences ("Edit My Membership") to hide your email
                        address. For details, please use the shortcut at bottom to message
                        #8672. Also, if you don't want to receive each posting as an email,
                        then under Edit My Membership: Message Delivery, click on the option
                        which says: "No email. Don't send me email, I'll read the messages
                        at the Web site." I hope this answers your questions. Thank you.
                        -Assistant Moderator]

                        http://tinyurl.com/2z72h/8672

                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > > that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
                        > > rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
                        > > bless....
                        > >
                        > > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
                        > >
                        > > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
                        > > ball back, then we'll bless him."
                        > >
                        > > "God bless Mother Teresa."
                        > >
                        > > "She doesn't live here."
                        > >
                        > > "But she's a..."
                        > >
                        > > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."
                        > >
                        > > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the
                        > light
                        > > now. Good night."
                        > >
                        > > "Night, Dad."
                        > >
                        > > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
                        > > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."
                        > >
                        > > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?

                      • shane_dublincentre
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 31, 2004
                          Dear Assistant Moderator,

                          You have full familial backing for any di-snap-liniary action you care
                          to take against this young whelp. I've been trying to keep him in line
                          for nigh on twenty years. :)

                          Shane
                          (Colm's smaller brother)

                          [Thanks anyway, Shane. The only time I bit into some Irish mutton,
                          two hours later I had an uncontrollable urge to buttonhole a
                          stranger and tell him the story of my life! Not an admirable trait
                          in a alligator...]

                          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, colmbolmcolm
                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > that it had no defined ending, which was perfect when we were in a
                          > > > rambunctious mood and ready to rack our brains for people to
                          > > > bless....
                          > > >
                          > > > "God bless Tom and Dick and Harry and the Smiths."(neighbours)
                          > > >
                          > > > "What are we blessing the Smiths for? Wait till Chris gives us our
                          > > > ball back, then we'll bless him."
                          > > >
                          > > > "God bless Mother Teresa."
                          > > >
                          > > > "She doesn't live here."
                          > > >
                          > > > "But she's a..."
                          > > >
                          > > > "Doesn't matter. We're only blessing people who live on this road."
                          > > >
                          > > > Poor Dad. His only response sometimes was "I'm turning off the
                          > > light
                          > > > now. Good night."
                          > > >
                          > > > "Night, Dad."
                          > > >
                          > > > I can't actually ever remember that prayer ever getting properly
                          > > > finished... Maybe we just said "and make me a good holy boy. Amen."
                          > > >
                          > > > Any other sweet childhood prayers out there?

                        • colmbolmcolm
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 1, 2004
                            Thank you AM for your advice!
                            I realised that you must get tired of giving these same procedures
                            quite often, so thank you for your time. For anyone else with
                            membership trouble, scroll down to the bottom for information.

                            Shane ya pup,
                            What's this I hear of discipline?
                            The only things that need discipline are your painfully long
                            sentences which have become renowned within this group. If your head
                            is so much faster than your fingers, well then learn to type!
                            Have a good week!
                            Colm.*

                            *Shane's loving and ever-polite brother. :-)
                            -Assistant Moderator

                            ---In message #8672, the Assistant Moderator wrote:

                            Basic Posting Procedure

                            1. Create a Yahoo ID and password
                            2. Join the Inspiration Group
                            3. Set your member preferences to hide your email address (!!!)
                            4. Post online here:

                            You can get more details here:

                            [That means you click on the above link to message #2485, read what
                            is written there, and carefully follow the instructions.]

                            Some key points from those instructions:

                            - To join the Inspiration Group, please go to:

                            and click on the "Join This Group" button. (You may be asked to
                            enter your Yahoo ID and password.)

                            To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences so that
                            your email address will not be visible. AFTER JOINING THE
                            INSPIRATION GROUP, just go to "Edit My Membership" here:

                            And click "Hide my email and IP address ..."

                            Please also check the option: "Do not convert to HTML."

                            Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

                            Once you've done that, you can go here to post online:

                            (Do not post by sending an email.)

                            Due to the large number of members and messages, everyone needs to
                            please follow this procedure. Otherwise, your message may not
                            appear.

                            Hint: The steps are in order. First, you create a Yahoo account.
                            Then, to do something on Yahoo, please sign in with your Yahoo ID
                            and password. Then join the Inspiration Group. Only after you have
                            joined the Inspiration Group (and are signed in to Yahoo) can you
                            edit your member preferences to hide your email address. Finally,
                            you post online here:

                            Also, if you're concerned about online safety, you can find more
                            information about safety here:

                            If you're a new member whose first language is not English, maybe
                            you know a friend who can help explain things. Please use the "buddy
                            system."

                            With so many members and messages, it's hard to contact each person
                            individually. If I mention people's names, it's not to discourage
                            them from posting, it's to encourage them to please post properly.

                            If you're a new member, it will also help you to spend time reading
                            the messages. If you're having trouble choosing a new topic, try
                            replying to a popular topic, adding your "two cents."

                            When starting a new topic, you post here:

                            To reply to someone else's message, follow the instructions below.

                            Replying To A Message

                            The above link is for posting a NEW message topic. But if you want
                            to REPLY to someone else's message:

                            1. Sign in to Yahoo with the ID and password you used to join the
                            Inspiration Group.

                            2. Visit the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group, and locate the message
                            you want to reply to. The messages are found here:

                            3. While reading the message you want to reply to, hit the "Reply"
                            button.

                            4. Type or paste your new message in the message box, and send.
                            Later, when your message appears, it should appear as a reply to the
                            earlier message. This will help readers follow the topic!

                            Note: Some people are confused by the warning that Yahoo gives when
                            you reply to a message. One member wrote:

                            "When I try to reply to a post, it warns me that people will be able
                            to see my address, even though I hid it."

                            Here's what actually happens. When you reply to a post in the
                            Inspiration Group, by default, the option which is selected looks
                            like this:

                            To: Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com

                            That option will send your message to the group while hiding your
                            email address (assuming you've set your member preferences to hide
                            your email address).

                            At the same time, Yahoo gives you a warning which looks like this:

                            "Warning: If you reply to the message author or the group owner,
                            your email address will be displayed in the message you send."

                            However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
                            replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
                            replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.

                            All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
                            Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
                            Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer skills!

                            Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your
                            postings.

                            Assistant Moderator

                            PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could be
                            because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
                            lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut:

                            http://tinyurl.com/2z72h/8672
                          • shane_dublincentre
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 2, 2004
                              Dear Colm,

                              My sentences are a bit like yourself - one day I realised that they
                              had grown bigger than me, and since then they have been throwing their
                              weight about accordingly. :)

                              Shane
                              (Colm's brother, who thinks polite is a type of crystal)

                              <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                              >
                              > "Warning: If you reply to the message author or the group owner,
                              > your email address will be displayed in the message you send."
                              >
                              > However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
                              > replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
                              > replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.
                              >
                              > All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
                              > Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
                              > Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer skills!
                              >
                              > Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your
                              > postings.
                              >
                              > Assistant Moderator
                              >
                              > PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could be
                              > because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
                              > lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut:

                            • abadnego2000
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 3, 2004
                                Shane,

                                It is so much fun to read your messages. I always get a good chuckle
                                out of them. Thanks for the laughs.

                                With Brotherly Love
                                David
                                Montreal

                                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                                > Dear Colm,
                                >
                                > My sentences are a bit like yourself - one day I realised that they
                                > had grown bigger than me, and since then they have been throwing
                                their
                                > weight about accordingly. :)
                                >
                                > Shane
                                > (Colm's brother, who thinks polite is a type of crystal)
                                >

                                > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, colmbolmcolm
                                > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > Thank you AM for your advice!
                                > > I realised that you must get tired of giving these same
                                procedures
                                > > quite often, so thank you for your time. For anyone else with
                                > > membership trouble, scroll down to the bottom for information.
                                > >
                                > > Shane ya pup,
                                > > What's this I hear of discipline?
                                > > The only things that need discipline are your painfully long
                                > > sentences which have become renowned within this group. If your
                                head
                                > > is so much faster than your fingers, well then learn to type!
                                > > Have a good week!
                                > > Colm.*
                                > >

                                > > *Shane's loving and ever-polite brother. :-)
                                > > -Assistant Moderator
                                > >

                                > > ---In message #8672, the Assistant Moderator wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Basic Posting Procedure
                                > >
                                > > 1. Create a Yahoo ID and password
                                > > 2. Join the Inspiration Group
                                > > 3. Set your member preferences to hide your email address (!!!)
                                > > 4. Post online here:
                                > >
                                > > You can get more details here:

                                > > [That means you click on the above link to message #2485, read
                                what
                                > > is written there, and carefully follow the instructions.]
                                > >
                                > > Some key points from those instructions:
                                > >
                                > > - To join the Inspiration Group, please go to:

                                > > and click on the "Join This Group" button. (You may be asked to
                                > > enter your Yahoo ID and password.)
                                > >
                                > > To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences so
                                that
                                > > your email address will not be visible. AFTER JOINING THE
                                > > INSPIRATION GROUP, just go to "Edit My Membership" here:

                                referer=1

> [...]
                                > > your email address will be displayed in the message you send."
                                > >
                                > > However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
                                > > replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
                                > > replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.
                                > >
                                > > All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
                                > > Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
                                > > Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer
                                skills!

                                > > Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your
                                > > postings.
                                > >
                                > > Assistant Moderator
                                > >
                                > > PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could
                                be
                                > > because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
                                > > lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut:

                              • Caitlin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 21, 2008
                                  [Dear Caitlin,
                                  please make sure to follow the safety guidelines
                                  appended at the end of your post.
                                  Thank you]

                                  Hi everyone! I do realize that this topic was posted ages ago but I
                                  only just found this website now, so I'm dusting it off.

                                  I got a kick out of the childhood prayers (and the childish fighting!
                                  teehee). While I was reading through here it reminded me of a letter I
                                  wrote to God when I was about 11. I wrote a letter of "prayer". Much
                                  like a wish list to Santa, it contained all of the things I wanted God
                                  to give me and to do for me. After writing the letter I put some
                                  crackers into the envelope and included a postscript which read; "ps:
                                  If you really exist, please eat these crackers."

                                  When I woke up the next morning, the first thing I did was open the
                                  envelope and (of course) the crackers were still there. I still
                                  remember how genuinely disappointed I was!

                                  Luckily it didn't shake my faith to the core, I do believe in a higher
                                  power to this day. But I just thought it would be really cool if God
                                  ate those crackers!

                                  Even as an 'innocent' child I was asking God to prove himself and
                                  make me rich. What hope do I have now, as a "corrupted" adult, to form
                                  any sort of a pure relationship with the divine? Haha.

                                  Take care everyone!

                                  Love, Caitlin

                                  [Dear Caitlin,
                                  For your online safety, please make sure to follow the instructions below.

                                  1) Hide Your Email Address

                                  Please set your member preferences
                                  so that your email address will not be visible.

                                  - First click on this link:
                                  If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                                  - Check the box where it says:
                                  "Hide my email and IP address from the group moderators"

                                  - Under "Message Delivery", select:
                                  "Web Only. Read messages only on the web"

                                  - Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

                                  Now when you post, your email address will not be visible anymore to anybody.

                                  2) Turn Off Invitations
                                  - First click on this link:
                                  If you are asked to sign in, do so now.

                                  Once you have signed in, a page listing your known email
                                  addresses will appear.

                                  - To the far right of each email address is the word "Edit" in
                                  blue. Click on it.

                                  Under "Group Invitations" you will see checkboxes which say:
                                  Allow group moderators to directly add me to their groups.
                                  Allow group moderators to invite me to their groups.

                                  - By default, both boxes are checked. Uncheck both boxes.
                                  - Click the Save Changes button.
                                  - Repeat steps 2-3 for every email account listed.

                                  Thank you
                                  Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group moderators]