Re: Joyathon

  • prachar_1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
      Thank you John Paul, for your excellent summation of the various
      pastimes of our Australia-New Zealand Joy Weekend. You have
      neglected to mention the food, and wasn't there some sleep at one
      point, or did that pass me by? (Or did I mistake it for meditation?)

      I was part of a carload who drove 17 hours each way from Canberra
      for the weekend, and we would have doubled that distance for half
      the serving of joy!

      One event that stood out for me was the success of the "New York
      Lottery." One extremely generous soul had donated frequent flyer
      points to the value of a return flight from Australia to New York,
      as first prize in a lottery. The lottery served two purposes, as it
      raised much-needed funds for an important enterprise dear to our
      hearts, and saw someone win a trip to New York to be with their
      spiritual Master.

      Almost everyone present had purchased tickets in the lottery, so
      naturally each was probably hoping that they themselves might carry
      away the prize. As it happened, a few people had to leave late
      morning on Sunday to catch flights, and one of these turned out to
      be the winner, so she was not actually present when the draw took
      place after lunch.

      Now to come to the point. What I found most thrilling, despite
      everyone probably wanting themselves to win and the winner not even
      being present, was the stupendous spontaneous and heartfelt tumult
      of unanimous enthusiastic delight which greeted the announcement of
      the winner.

      A blossoming of true oneness. People genuinely could not have been
      happier had they won the prize themselves.

      This was a deeply moving experience, a shared moment of a real
      spiritual family.

      Prachar

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > During the weekend just past I had the good fortune to spend
      several days in
      > Australia, a guest of the Sri Chinmoy Centre in Brisbane. The
      occasion was the annual
      > New Zealand/Australia Joy Weekend, a time once a year when the
      students of Sri
      > Chinmoy down under come together for an always memorable weekend
      of joy.

      > Students from as far away as Perth and Christchurch (both 5 hour
      flights) made the
      > trip to a tiny country town one and a half hours drive north of
      Brisbane, where we
      > spent the weekend in a tropical rain forest camp site.
      >
      > After awaking to the cacophonous sounds of the local kookaburras,
      the first "joy"
      > activity of the weekend was a 7am 2 mile race, held on a hastily
      improvised course
      > just outside the camp, a road we discovered only well into the
      race which traversed
      > more hills than an average mountain climb. With flat parts being
      an exception rather
      > than the norm, most of us finished a good minute outside our
      normal times, and the
      > post-race mixture of extreme exhaustion and elation proved to be
      only a taste of
      > what was to come.
      >
      > This was the "Joyathon" - the highlight of the weekend for sure,
      and what will
      > probably prove to be the first of many - a more accessible version
      of the decathlo
      > which involves a mixture of both sporting, athletic and swimming
      events over the
      > course of two days. Seven minute games of volleyball, soccer and
      ultimate frisbee
      > were organised between 6 man teams in a round robin fashion, while
      the swimming
      > events consisted of freestyle and medley relays, with an
      underwater distance swim to
      > finish. A memorable highlight for the writer was his first attempt
      at swimming in
      > approximately 20 years, an attempt which saw him successfully
      execute a 90 degree
      > turn mid-pool and traverse cross-lanes sideways into the far wall.
      >
      > Day two began with a 23km run to the nearest beach, and further
      events were
      > postponed after most of the paticipants met their match in the
      sweltering 25 degree
      > centigrade temperatures amongst the Queensland sugar cane fields.
      >
      > This is just a taste of the many activities which were somehow
      compacted into the
      > space of only 2 days, and such a success was the weekend that
      plans are already
      > afoot to organise a sequel some time before the end of this year.
      >
      > My compliments and gratitude to all of my brothers and sisters in
      Australia, and
      > particularly Brisbane, who gave so much of their time and energy
      to making the
      > weekend such an unqualified success, and I can quite honestly say
      that I can't wait to
      > do it all over again.
      >
      > Gratitude,
      >
      > John Paul
      >
      > ------------------
      > A selection of sites related to Sri Chinmoy:
      >
      > More than 1000 of Sri Chinmoy's works online and searchable at
      this site:
      > http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com
      >
      > A site dedicated to the poetry of Sri Chinmoy:
      > http://www.srichinmoypoetry.com
      >
      > The homepage of the worlwide Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team:
      > http://www.srichinmoyraces.org
      >
      > Information about the guiding philosophy of Sri Chinmoy's students
      and their
      > activities:
      > http://www.srichinmoycentre.org
      >
      > A site dedicated to the spiritual dimensions of music as the
      language of the soul:
      > http://www.srichinmoymusic.com/
      >
      > The ever-glowing world of Sri Chinmoy's vast outpouring of
      artworks:
      > http://www.srichinmoyart.com/
      >
      > Experience the meditative and soul-stirring power of Sri Chinmoy's
      music:
      > http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/
    • goldenboat27
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 2003
        As another guest at the joy weekend (albeit just from another
        >> part of Australia), I agree with John's sentiments. The joy
        >> weekend was great!

        But even more amazing, perhaps, was that there were so many
        joy activities planned for the weekend that we didn't even have
        time for them all... If we were exhausted from all that joy, imagine
        if we'd done EVERYTHING! (Maybe we should have an extra
        three days?)

        "Too much joy is never enough." That's our motto in Australia.
        (Well, not really... but when our friends from New Zealand come
        to visit, it sure seems that way!)

        Mark