Joyathon

  • johnji_nz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
      During the weekend just past I had the good fortune to spend several days in
      Australia, a guest of the Sri Chinmoy Centre in Brisbane. The occasion was the annual
      New Zealand/Australia Joy Weekend, a time once a year when the students of Sri
      Chinmoy down under come together for an always memorable weekend of joy.

      Students from as far away as Perth and Christchurch (both 5 hour flights) made the
      trip to a tiny country town one and a half hours drive north of Brisbane, where we
      spent the weekend in a tropical rain forest camp site.

      After awaking to the cacophonous sounds of the local kookaburras, the first "joy"
      activity of the weekend was a 7am 2 mile race, held on a hastily improvised course
      just outside the camp, a road we discovered only well into the race which traversed
      more hills than an average mountain climb. With flat parts being an exception rather
      than the norm, most of us finished a good minute outside our normal times, and the
      post-race mixture of extreme exhaustion and elation proved to be only a taste of
      what was to come.

      This was the "Joyathon" - the highlight of the weekend for sure, and what will
      probably prove to be the first of many - a more accessible version of the decathlo
      which involves a mixture of both sporting, athletic and swimming events over the
      course of two days. Seven minute games of volleyball, soccer and ultimate frisbee
      were organised between 6 man teams in a round robin fashion, while the swimming
      events consisted of freestyle and medley relays, with an underwater distance swim to
      finish. A memorable highlight for the writer was his first attempt at swimming in
      approximately 20 years, an attempt which saw him successfully execute a 90 degree
      turn mid-pool and traverse cross-lanes sideways into the far wall.

      Day two began with a 23km run to the nearest beach, and further events were
      postponed after most of the paticipants met their match in the sweltering 25 degree
      centigrade temperatures amongst the Queensland sugar cane fields.

      This is just a taste of the many activities which were somehow compacted into the
      space of only 2 days, and such a success was the weekend that plans are already
      afoot to organise a sequel some time before the end of this year.

      My compliments and gratitude to all of my brothers and sisters in Australia, and
      particularly Brisbane, who gave so much of their time and energy to making the
      weekend such an unqualified success, and I can quite honestly say that I can't wait to
      do it all over again.

      Gratitude,

      John Paul

      ------------------
      A selection of sites related to Sri Chinmoy:

      More than 1000 of Sri Chinmoy's works online and searchable at this site:
      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com

      A site dedicated to the poetry of Sri Chinmoy:
      http://www.srichinmoypoetry.com

      The homepage of the worlwide Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team:
      http://www.srichinmoyraces.org

      Information about the guiding philosophy of Sri Chinmoy's students and their
      activities:
      http://www.srichinmoycentre.org

      A site dedicated to the spiritual dimensions of music as the language of the soul:
      http://www.srichinmoymusic.com/

      The ever-glowing world of Sri Chinmoy's vast outpouring of artworks:
      http://www.srichinmoyart.com/

      Experience the meditative and soul-stirring power of Sri Chinmoy's music:
      http://www.radiosrichinmoy.org/
    • prachar_1
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2003
        Thank you John Paul, for your excellent summation of the various
        pastimes of our Australia-New Zealand Joy Weekend. You have
        neglected to mention the food, and wasn't there some sleep at one
        point, or did that pass me by? (Or did I mistake it for meditation?)

        I was part of a carload who drove 17 hours each way from Canberra
        for the weekend, and we would have doubled that distance for half
        the serving of joy!

        One event that stood out for me was the success of the "New York
        Lottery." One extremely generous soul had donated frequent flyer
        points to the value of a return flight from Australia to New York,
        as first prize in a lottery. The lottery served two purposes, as it
        raised much-needed funds for an important enterprise dear to our
        hearts, and saw someone win a trip to New York to be with their
        spiritual Master.

        Almost everyone present had purchased tickets in the lottery, so
        naturally each was probably hoping that they themselves might carry
        away the prize. As it happened, a few people had to leave late
        morning on Sunday to catch flights, and one of these turned out to
        be the winner, so she was not actually present when the draw took
        place after lunch.

        Now to come to the point. What I found most thrilling, despite
        everyone probably wanting themselves to win and the winner not even
        being present, was the stupendous spontaneous and heartfelt tumult
        of unanimous enthusiastic delight which greeted the announcement of
        the winner.

        A blossoming of true oneness. People genuinely could not have been
        happier had they won the prize themselves.

        This was a deeply moving experience, a shared moment of a real
        spiritual family.

        Prachar

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, johnji_nz

      • goldenboat27
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5, 2003
          As another guest at the joy weekend (albeit just from another
          >> part of Australia), I agree with John's sentiments. The joy
          >> weekend was great!

          But even more amazing, perhaps, was that there were so many
          joy activities planned for the weekend that we didn't even have
          time for them all... If we were exhausted from all that joy, imagine
          if we'd done EVERYTHING! (Maybe we should have an extra
          three days?)

          "Too much joy is never enough." That's our motto in Australia.
          (Well, not really... but when our friends from New Zealand come
          to visit, it sure seems that way!)

          Mark