Happiness - we love you, we need you!!

  • jayita_2708
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2004
      If I had to some up the goal of my spiritual life in one word, than I
      would have to say that 'happiness' encapsulates my feelings.
      Happiness we all want and we all need. If we go after the persuit of
      our desires, or listen to what our mind or body wants us to do, we
      can never be happy! Only if we unconditionally surrender to the will
      of the Supreme can we truly be happy. As Sri Chinmoy says "If you
      want happiness, spirituality is the answer. But this happiness will
      come only if you are prepared to make the Supreme happy in His own
      Way" (excerpt from Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 1).

      So why don't we listen to the will of the Supreme all the time if we
      know this is the only way to find true happiness or satisfaction??
      Good question!! I ask myself this question all the time. I guess the
      only answer I was able to come up with is that we secretly cherish
      our weaknesses or desires. We secretly enjoy chasing after things
      with the hope that they will make us happy. Alas, they never do. What
      we find instead is frustration and dissatisfaction! You would think
      that one day we would learn that by not following God's will, we only
      make ourselves miserable!! I guess there is something within us that
      has this glimmer of hope that 'we ourselves' can create our own
      happiness. What a delusion! Perhaps it is ego or pride. Perhaps it is
      a sign of weakness and the need for self-transcendence to become more
      stronger, purer and surrended!

      I was reading a passage today by Sri Chinmoy about happiness and I
      thought I would share it. It is most inspiring and illumining. Here
      is the full Q&A (Excerpt from Sri Chinmoy Answers, Part 1 by Sri
      Chinmoy.);

      Q: Should we think of happiness during our meditation?
      Sri Chinmoy: "It is fine if you want to meditate on happiness. But if
      you think of the pleasure-life during your meditation and call it
      happiness, then it is like misusing a knife. Instead of cutting a
      mango and sharing it with others, you are only stabbing yourself.
      During your intense meditation if you are getting pleasure from
      undivine thoughts or cherishing wrong forces or ideas, then you are
      only increasing their intensity. So, be careful. When wrong thoughts
      come during your meditation, if you cannot control them, then just
      stop meditating. Go and drink a glass of water or do something else.
      You have to ask yourself what you want from the spiritual life. If
      you want happiness, spirituality is the answer. But this happiness
      will come only if you are prepared to make the Supreme happy in His
      own Way. No matter how many ways God pleases you, you will not be
      happy if in one particular way you are still displeasing God. God is
      ready to make you happy in your own way over and over again, in
      hundreds of ways. But your soul's love of God is such that if in even
      one way you fail to please Him, your soul will not be happy. And if
      your soul is not happy with your body, vital, mind and heart, you
      yourself can never be happy. Your soul wants to be extremely,
      extremely, extremely proud of you. If your body, vital and mind do
      the wrong things, your soul tries to discipline these unruly members
      of its family and inspire them.

      You are in the spiritual life because you want happiness. If the
      spiritual life did not bring happiness, who would be such a fool as
      to practise spirituality? When you become in tune with God's living
      Breath, when you enter into God's Breath and become part and parcel
      of it, happiness becomes your inner and outer name and you get
      infinite ecstasy and infinite delight.

      Real meditation is to make your Inner Pilot happy through obedience.
      This is one meditation that is most effective: to listen to your
      Inner Pilot. If you listen to your Inner Pilot cheerfully at every
      second, then there can be no inner fever-no fear, doubt or jealousy-
      for you have no time to think of these things."

      Happiness and love to you all!

      Gratitude,
      Jayita (Canberra)