Jamaica Hills -Start out and returning "coincidences" - Gratitude Heart

  • adhiratha
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2003
      Hi, Actually my story about the neighboorhood begins from when I took
      my first breath this lifetime in May of 1947. I was born in St.Albans
      which is less than 2 miles away from Jamaica Hills. My father was on
      the swim team at Jamaica High School. The students came from miles
      away and the farms were only a few miles further up the road. I moved
      further out on Long Island when I was 2 and half years old, but would
      come back to visit my grandparents and the family home. When Sri
      Chinmoy came to NY, I was heading to Ohio to go to the Univeristy in
      Dayton. There I spent my second "formative years" including taking a
      break to get cash to pay for school and working my way around the
      world on a merchant ship. In early 1973, I was working and living in
      Ohio and told my parents I was not even going to visit NY that year
      because of all the congestion and noise etc. However by February due
      to number of "coincidences" I was in NY and attnding the leture by
      Sri Chinmoy at NY University. I was interested to find out more and in
      a few weeks I was back in Jamica Hills Queens. In the first few weeks,
      I offered to help redecorate a restaurant "Annam Branhama" run by Sri
      Chinmoys students and requested my mother to send over some of the
      biodegradable soap that she was then selling. My father brought it by
      one morning to the restaurant and later told my mother that he was
      shocked where I was helping out. It turns out that was the same place
      he played "hooky" in when it was a bakery. They would sneak out of
      school and when the truant officer came in the front door looking for
      those skiping school, my father and his friends would climb out the
      bathroon window in the back. In my fathers school days, the street
      car rode on tracks from Hillside Avenue through the gully that is now
      the aspiration ground and tennis court. So Jamaica has some special
      meaning for my family and my father who is now 88 always asks about
      his friend Sri Chinmnoy or "the Guru". When the weather gets warm he
      inquires if they are "out at the court yet". Amazing how the Supreme
      aspiration force works through all thses coincidences. To my way of
      thinking there seems to be some extra grace sprinkled in amazing ways.
      A few extra signposts , so no matter where we stray or how stuburn we
      are it is likely that when we are ready and a little receptive,
      eventually we will follow one of the unseen but powerful patterns and
      find our way home... as Sri Chinmoy has said "Our own Gratitude heart
      is all that matters" - Adhiratha
      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sundari_one
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Dear Adhiratha:
      >
      > Thank you for that excellent article on Jamaica Hills. It seems as
      > though it is everything you would ever need to know about the
      > neighborhood. I have been coming there for thirty years now, but
      > I never had any idea of the history of the area. It really is a
      > special place, and so much more so because of the presence of
      > Sri Chinmoy there.
      >
      > --Sundarin
    • transformationdance
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Adhiratha,

        It was amazing to read about the history of the area and to think that street cars rode
        through the gully, Annam Brahma was a bakery and popular hooky hangout, and
        farms were bordering much of the neighborhood. Wouldn't it be grand to find old
        photos of the area! I know Ashrita has an old framed picture of his house at least 50
        years back with almost no trees or other houses on his street. I wonder if there are
        any others like that!

        Its nice to have a different perspective of the area you live, to realize the history that
        preceded and to ponder the history that is to come.

        -Natabara