My Bay Area Race Experience

  • lucianbalmer
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      12 hours, 54 miles. Okay, I'm sure some of you speedsters (Hidde)
      are saying "what? that's it?"; but I am very happy with the result
      of this race. The race was on the 26th of September around a .78
      mile loop.

      Since the marathon and the 47, I haven't been able to train much.
      Actually, I was planning to do a 12 hour run by myself at the end of
      October, but then I saw an official race on the 26th. For a while I
      considered skipping it, because it was so close to my last races,
      but once the Ultra Trio began, I felt the need to do a long race.
      After hearing about so many of my colleagues starting their race in
      New York, I kept hearing a voice in my head guilt tripping me: "Why
      are you so lazy? Run the race! Run!"

      Since my return to San Francisco, I have resumed my work at Ananda
      Fuara, the vegetarian restaurant. In recent times myself, Tsvetan,
      and Dragan would take turns doing dishes and waiting tables. Tsvetan
      is winning the 700 right now, and Dragan is stuck in Belgrade, so
      I'm doing the dishes. Anyway, I had this horrible nightmare that I
      had to start the race late because I had to finish work at the
      restaurant. And the reality was not too different; the day before
      the race I had to work overtime.

      The race was put on by the Bay Area Ultra Runners and the Dolphin
      South End Running Club (whose motto is "start slowly, taper early").
      The race started at 7 a.m. in Golden Gate Park, around a .78 mile
      loop. It was very foggy (couldn't see more than 100m) and a little
      cold; typical San Francisco weather. There were about 20 people at
      the start, and people could join in whenever they wanted to. The
      people were extremely nice, and some had participated in a few of
      our own races.

      One of the best parts about the race was the oneness I felt from all
      my friends in the San Francisco Centre. Venu, Hiyamallar, Aimee,
      Suchatula, Jayashri, Sudhira, Charubala, Prema, Vicki, Ahelee,
      Pujari, and Bichakshan all came to encourage me, asked me if I
      needed anything, and helped me during the race. So many Sri Chinmoy
      Marathon Team members spoke to the directors and cheered the
      runners.

      The race itself went pretty smoothly. I would run and walk (about
      100m each lap) at about a 12 minute mile pace. The course was hard
      packed dirt. Basically I thought of it as an extended 47 miler,
      which it was. For 7 hours of the race, there were soccer games in
      the field, about six at a time. They were all children's games, so
      it was fun to watch, but they did cause a few traffic jams on the
      course. More annoying were the people on horseback. The horses were
      a little restless because of all the people, and I would run as wide
      a course as possible around them so I wouldn't get trampled.

      After 8 hours, I started to get tired, and my legs felt heavy and
      inert. So I did a lot of walking and eating between hours 8 and 10.
      Those hours were tough, not just physically but mentally as well.
      After the 10 hour mark, I came alive and continued at my normal
      pace. At the end of the race, Prema, Ahelee, and Pujari stuck around
      to watch me gather my victory plaque for my age group (I was the
      only person in my age group).

      Well, I hope this race report wasn't too long!

      -Lucian
      San Francisco
    • hiddetangerman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2004
        12 hours, 54 miles...

        What? That's it??

        No, honestly, hats off to you, dear friend!

        Hearing you speak about the restaurant and all of our friends makes
        me a little homesick. How I wish I could be there with you! (if only
        to ease your dishwashing burden; although you know what kind of a
        'speedster' I am in the dishwashing world!)

        Are you going to run the 'Run to the Far Side'? You should (even if
        it takes you one hour for 5K)!

        Here in Holland we're planning to organise an ultra somewhere next
        spring. You should be in better shape by then, so I fully expect
        your presence at the start. No weaseling out of any sort!

        Your friend, Hidde

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lucianbalmer