Singing in Sabah

  • nayaknayaknayak
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2004
      Some years ago, on one of the Christmas trips, we were in Sabah on
      the island of Borneo--a part of Malaysia. We had a very large
      meeting hall in a hotel by the beach.

      One day, in the meeting hall, Sri Chinmoy was composing songs for
      Chidananda's singing group. This group is made up mainly of non-
      singers, and yet they sing. Most of the songs that they sing are
      composed of a word in Bengali, its translation into English, and
      then a companion pair with the Bengali rhyming between the first and
      second pair. So, Sri Chinmoy was pulling words out of the air and
      composing a short song based on each one. Then he started looking at
      the front row, where I happened to sit that day, and he chose our
      spiritual names and composed a song on the name for several of us in
      the front row. My song was "Nayak," "leader," and "gayak," "singer."
      So, these were four short songs, to be sung all together. Sri
      Chinmoy then added in the names of a few people who were not in the
      room at that moment. After this session, he asked all of us to come
      up the next evening and perform the songs based on our names, solo.
      There were about 15 of us.

      Now, I consider myself a "good" singer. That is, when Sri Chinmoy
      invites good singers to come up and learn a song, I often go up. If
      he asks for very good singers, I do not go up, nor do I join in
      among excellent or super-excellent singers. OK, this is fine, I am
      perhaps an asset singing in a group. But to sing solo is quite
      something for me. I am probably on the low end of "good," so you
      will not be buying tickets for my next solo concert.

      Now, my hero, Maleenendra of Australia comes into the picture. He
      has one of the loveliest singing voices you can imagine. He saw me
      practicing my song after the function and took pity on me, and a
      good thing it was. The man spent a patient hour coaching me through
      some of the nuances of the song and drilling me. He instilled
      tremendous confidence in my capacity. The next evening I belted out
      the song with great volume and confidence in front of the audience
      of 400-500 people and received a positive comment from the Master.

      The whole group of us name-singers did a nice job, I must say, and
      everyone was full of confidence, despite the unfamiliar solo role. I
      think the audience felt proud of us for doing our job.

      Yours,

      Nayak
    • duradarshinee
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
        How proud of the singers indeed the audience felt! The people
        singing their own name songs were some of my favorite moments in
        Sabah - I was soooo moved by both the loveliness of all the singing
        and the courage of the singers. For me, even having taken voice
        lessons for a few years and having at least become accustomed to the
        idea of singing alone, it is still difficult to sing solo in front
        of an audience, especially something short – no time to calm down –
        and into a microphone… yikes. So to see and hear my friends standing
        up there, singing their souls' names so beautifully and bravely -
        much more so than myself, when I have sung – touched me to the very
        core.

        And typical of everything Sri Chinmoy does, this activity, as simple
        as it was, was at the same time multi-faceted in the most wonderful
        way: simple songs written especially for the "non-singers group" to
        learn, a Bengali vocabulary lesson for everyone, a rare chance for
        the ones named to perform solo, singing their own souls' names set
        to music composed by their teacher (a master composer whose every
        melody is a unique treasure), and a huge inspiration for all the
        listeners. Every moment was an expression of love, and it all went
        straight to my heart. I still feel a sudden spark of joy whenever I
        hear Chidananda's group sing one of these name songs.

        My deepest gratitude to the divine composer and to every one of the
        divine singers.

        --Duradarshinee

        -----

        Nayak wrote:

[...]

      • stefanolanzalone
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
          Hallo,

          Messages like these are very inspiring and they make us feel the
          extraordinary (intense, loving, nourishing...) atmosphere we
          experience in the presence of Sri Chinmoy -and maybe we experience
          when we please the Supreme in us, even not being in his phisical
          presence-.
          Stefano L.
          Rome.

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, duradarshinee
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > something for me. I am probably on the low end of "good," so you
          > will not be buying tickets for my next solo concert.
          >
          > Now, my hero, Maleenendra of Australia comes into the picture. He
          > has one of the loveliest singing voices you can imagine. He saw me
          > practicing my song after the function and took pity on me, and a
          > good thing it was. The man spent a patient hour coaching me through
          > some of the nuances of the song and drilling me. He instilled
          > tremendous confidence in my capacity. The next evening I belted out
          > the song with great volume and confidence in front of the audience
          > of 400-500 people and received a positive comment from the Master.
          >
          > The whole group of us name-singers did a nice job, I must say, and
          > everyone was full of confidence, despite the unfamiliar solo role.
          > think the audience felt proud of us for doing our job.

        • snehashila2
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
            Dear Duradarshinee,

            Although I was not on this trip, I understand the feeling of having
            your name immortalized in a song. When Chidananda got back
            from this trip he sang my name's song for me. I was deeply
            moved. Something wonderful must happen in the soul's world,
            but who knows? Just to hear this melody made me feel
            completely full of *joy*....Nice to hear how this all came about.
            Thank you.

            Yes, I also really enjoy hearing all of Chidananda's Group
            renditions. They are very special.

            Love to you,
            Snehashila

          • sumangali_m
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2004
              Duradarshinee, YOU find "it is still difficult to sing solo"? I am
              amazed. You seem to have the poise and confidence of a pride of
              lions, (though I know this is coupled with the sweetest of
              natures!). For one who brings down the charms of Heaven in her voice
              and makes every listener stop in their thoughts, let alone their
              tracks, this is very surprising indeed. Especially when you KNOW Sri
              Chinmoy appreciates your singing like anything. I am both inspired
              and disillusioned by this insight!

              To me singing solo has to be the MOST terrifying concept. Irrational
              fears are the most insidious aren't they? I hold in great esteem
              anyone heroic enough to sing solo, regardless of their singing
              capacity. I used to sing solo a lot in my teens, but that's another
              story. Now I simply CANNOT! Even one note and I am quaking,
              emitting a feeble, tuneless, tremulous squawk! I have closely
              studied this anomoly for years now, but am still flummoxed. Your
              message is a newly puzzling addition to my research.

              Sumangali
              :oD

              PS I love your poem in the August edition of Panorama. I have been
              looking for an opportunity to thank you, and here it is.

              PPS Sarah, if you are reading this, thanks for the idea about
              asterisks. I find them a bit confusing so far though, maybe because
              I'm not used to them. I find I have to stop and translate them each
              time I come across them, so I am still risking the CAPSLOCK button!