Re: unusual musical instruments (was Dharmaja)

  • rogerfromcardiff
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
      Dharmaja,

      A sitar-guitar sounds amazing. I'm also a great lover of those
      primal sounds such as the drone, be it on the humble harmonium (like
      a root note and a "5th") or the tambura.

      Your new project sounds like a real real fusion of East and West.

      Let us know what the finished product sounds like - a sound file of
      some kind on your web site maybe? Who knows, I might get inspired to
      fit a sitar bridge on my bouzouki!

      I'm sure many musical insruments only came into being through this
      kind of modification. For example in Wales we have the crwth. This
      instrument started out as a classical lyre (the ancient greek harp-
      like instrument). Someone had the idea of fitting a neck and frets
      so more complex melodies could be played. Years later someone else
      started playing it with a bow. Now it bears little resemblance to
      the lyre and sounds totally unique.

      You don't hear the crwth played often, but one of our local crwth
      players will be apearing in a multicultural concert soon at which I
      hope to organise a performance of Sri Chinmoy's music, possibly by
      Ananda. If all goes according to plan I'll post something here
      afterwards as it promises to be an unusal and memorable concert.

      Roger
      Cardiff
      Wales
      UK
    • sarah_inseattle
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
        For Anita, Tatiana, --- and Dharmaja,

        It *is* nice to get a response or comment when one has posted a
        message, especially, as Tatiana says, "when you write something
        personal." Definitely there can a vulnerable feeling, posting
        something so heart-felt. And at the same time, I was glad to read
        that Anita felt the process itself, of writing and posting, had been
        helpful.

        I hope you will laugh with me, when I explain that I *also* started
        to post a response to Anita but did not send it!

        That very morning, I had been struggling with a problem that was
        frightening me. I knew that meditation was the medicine, but I just
        couldn't manage it.

        During my "meditation," such as it was, I found myself contemplating
        the idea of soliciting help from the Inspiration Group. I had
        decided I would. But a bit later that morning, after I logged on
        and read all the new posts, I decided not to.

        Just as I was ready to log off, some new posts came in, so I read
        those, too. Anita's was the last one in the group. There it was---
        "my" problem!

        I started to reply to Anita, marveling at the "coincidence."
        However, as I was composing my reply, I lost my internet connection,
        and therefore what I had written!!! The heck with it, I thought.
        Maybe I'll try again later.

        I did log on later. At that time I saw Dharmaja's response. Wow, I
        thought. It was so simple and powerful, and, as you said,
        sympathetic and full of oneness. For Anita, I could not have said
        it better, and for myself, I also was very comforted by Dharmaja's
        words.

        Anita, it seems there were a great many responses to your post in
        the inner worlds, if not at this site!

        Gratitude to you all,
        Sarah
        Seattle

        P.S. What helped me out of my fear that day was realizing God loves
        me and is taking care of me; I need not worry. For the entire day,
        I made sure that Sri Chinmoy's music was playing softly in the
        background all the time at home and in the car. It was a constant,
        gentle, soothing balm, and a reminder.

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, tatiana_thehague
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Anita
        >

        > Thank you Lord for the Dharmajas in this world, who keep
        encouraging
        > us!
        >
        > Especially when you write something personal, you really give
        > something from yourself. In a way that makes you a bit vulnerable.
        > It is really nice then to see that somebody understood what you
        were
        > trying to say or appreciated the effort.
        >
        > I have to admit that I replied to you surrender message as well. I
        > wrote something like. "I am definitely in your boat. I can only
        hope
        > that there are people here who aren't"
        > But I chickened out, I wasn't brave enough to send it! Silly me!
        >
        > I'll try to be more couragous in the future,
        >
        > Tatiana
        >
        > P.S.: Thank you for all your happiness poems. I really enjoyed
        them!

        > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anitabusic
        > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > > I join in the praises of Dharmaja. For a simple reason, he was
        the
        > > only one who commented my message from Wednesday in which I said
        > > was struggling to surrender. His sympathetic oneness warmed my
        > > heart. I truly felt I wasn't alone in the boat.
        > >
        > > I do like when people comment messages. One feels one has
        > > contributed and given something to others and it was received at
        > > least by someone. That is the purpose of this site anyway: to
        > offer
        > > inspiration to others or to receive it.
        > >
        > > I conclude this message with a poem that inspired me this
        morning.

        > > "The human in me prays for God's Love.
        > > The divine in me prays for God's Victory."
        > >
        > > Why has this poetry-gem of Sri Chinmoy inspired me, is I believe
        > > self-evident. Any commentary would not suffice. So I leave it as
        > it
        > > is.
        > >
        > > Praying for God's Victory,
        > >
        > > Anita

      • sumangali_m
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2004
          Yes, BRAVO Dharmaja for your perennial kindness! It seems a
          comforting word is never too much trouble for you.

          Anita, I felt for you when I read your message #7926 but did not know
          what to say at the time. Your message below reminded me of a poem I
          submitted to Panorama in April, so I am offering it here as a
          means of contribution. I wrote it at a time when I was facing a bit
          of an uncomfortable patch myself (a little more than just my tea
          going cold, distressing though that is). At that time, everyone else
          seemed to be going through their own stuff. They therefore were
          (understandably) not in a position to give me the outer human support
          which can be so comforting sometimes, and which I felt I needed.

          Notes:

          The capital "Y" in "You" is because I am speaking to
          the Supreme, and not to a German.

          The word "ARE" is in capitals because it's not possible
          to underline or italicise anything here. That sad fact has already
          got me into a bit of a scrape, so I thought I would explain ahead of
          time ;-)

          If this was a Monty Python film, the next sentence would be:

          "Get ON with it!"

          So here's the poem already:

          All of them know if I have not been fed,
          Or I did not go early enough to bed.
          Everyone hears if my tea has gone cold,
          Or that thing which my customer wants has been sold.
          Still I bundle it up, and take it to You,
          Though I know You have always got lots to do.

          The sky's still unpainted, the daisies still closed,
          The dawn's on the boil, blackbird's song half-composed,
          Yet with rapt attention You lovingly stand,
          With a broadening Smile, and a brush in one Hand.
          As if it were Your only important Task,
          "How ARE you?" You earnestly, eagerly ask.

          With love from
          Sumangali
          :oD

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I join in the praises of Dharmaja. For a simple reason, he was the
          > only one who commented my message from Wednesday in which I said I
          > was struggling to surrender. His sympathetic oneness warmed my
          > heart. I truly felt I wasn't alone in the boat.
          >
          > I do like when people comment messages. One feels one has
          > contributed and given something to others and it was received at
          > least by someone. That is the purpose of this site anyway: to offer
          > inspiration to others or to receive it.
          >
          > I conclude this message with a poem that inspired me this morning.
          >
          > "The human in me prays for God's Love.
          > The divine in me prays for God's Victory."
          >
          > Why has this poetry-gem of Sri Chinmoy inspired me, is I believe
          > self-evident. Any commentary would not suffice. So I leave it as it
          > is.
          >
          > Praying for God's Victory,
          >
          > Anita
          >
          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, rogerfromcardiff
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Dear Dharmaja,
          > >
          > > I love your postings here and whenever I see your name I remember
          > the
          > > first celebrations musical performance I was ever in - April 94
          > was
          > > the time, and the group was.....Dharmaja's International Group!
          > >
          > > As with the first time you see your master, he first time you
          > > complete a marathon, and all those other firsts, the feeling of
          > that
          > > first time you get to sing in a group at celebrations is
          > > unforgettable.
          > >
          > > The outer details are harder to recall; I think we sang Jibaner
          > Majhe
          > > and Sundara Madhumoy, while Fran (who was also in a group for the
          > > first time) thinks we did Phule Phule. I also clearly remember
          > > singing Diye Jai with you one time, but perhaps that was later?
          > Its
          > > all a haze in terms of the detail, but the memory of how it felt,
          > > practising in the park and at sports day, singing in front of
          > > Sri Chinmoy, all that is crystal clear.
          > >
          > > I hope I thanked you at the time for bringing all those people
          > > together from so many different countries in a single
          performance,
          > > but thanks again anyway. Your guitar style is so nice to sing
          > with;
          > > subtle chord backing while at the same time picking out the
          melody
          > > with strong rhythmic accents to help us all keep in time - superb.
          > >
          > > I hope you're still picking that guitar!
          > >
          > > Roger
          > > Cardiff
          > > Wales
          > > UK
        • tatiana_thehague
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 2, 2004
            Dear Sarah,

            Your posting just warmed my heart. So did your posting the other day
            about the homeopathic compassion miracle!

            Since we are talking about encouragement, here a few lines from the
            book Encouragement by Sri Chinmoy:

            Encouragement
            is the helper
            of enlightenment.

            When we
            encourage others,
            we increase
            our own divine
            qualities.

            Encouragement-givers
            are the choice
            instruments
            of God.

            Through
            encouragement,
            we offer our
            divinity to mankind.

            Encouragement
            is the heart
            in tune
            with God's
            appreciation.

            Each time
            I encourage
            the world,
            God helps me
            to run faster,
            dive deeper
            and fly higher.

            Encouragement
            radiates love,
            concern and
            the feeling of
            oneness.
            ~Sri Chinmoy

            In oneness,

            Tatiana

            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sarah_inseattle

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2004
              Dear Tatiana,

              Ah, yes! It is sweetness to get a reply - thank you!

              What wonderful "encouragement" aphorisms. I cannot recall ever
              seeing Sri Chinmoy's book on Encouragement. Now I will be on a
              mission to find it in our centre library and/or the online library.
              I'm so glad you mentioned it.

              In oneness,
              Sarah
              Seattle

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 3, 2004
                Hello Sumangali and Everyone,

                For years I wrote short newspaper articles and e-mailed them to my
                editor in the body of the e-mail (not as attachments - long story).
                When I used the title of a book or needed to emphasize a word, she
                advised me to use asterisks, instead of capital letters, underlines,
                or italics, So, a book title appeared as, *My Life's Soul-
                Journey*. If I needed to *emphasize* a *word* this is how I would do
                it.

                I have noticed my edition of Microsoft Word automatically converts a
                word such as *this* to a bold "this", so perhaps her advice reflects
                some kind of standard. (I do not know the mechanics of how my
                asterisks were converted to italics before they went to press.)

                In any case, I think asterisks are an aesthetically pleasing
                alternative and wonder if it would be helpful to use them.

                In oneness,
                Sarah
                Seattle

                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
                <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                <big snip>

                > The word "ARE" is in capitals because it's not possible
                > to underline or italicise anything here. That sad fact has already
                > got me into a bit of a scrape, so I thought I would explain ahead
                of
                > time ;-)

                <big snip>

                > With love from
                > Sumangali
                > :oD

                <big snip>
              • anitabusic
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Dear Tatiana, Sarah and Sumangali,

                  Thank you very much for your replies. I especially liked the part
                  where you (Tatiana & Sarah) confessed you wanted to reply but were
                  hesitant and in the last minute chickened out. This just shows how
                  truly human we all still are.

                  It is not easy to confess, one is having a hard time with one's
                  nature, to oneself or especially to someone else. Many people deem
                  it a weakness, I on the contrary, deem it to be a strength. Once one
                  can accept one has a problem, and you clearly understand its
                  underlying context, you are half way through to the solution. Then
                  comes the other half - dynamic, persistent action to bring about the
                  solution.

                  Thank you all for your encouragement. Tatiana, your selection of
                  encouragement-poems is truly beautiful and they sat quite nicely in
                  my heart; thank you. Sarah, I appreciated you sympathetic oneness
                  very much. And Sumangali, the newly discovered author, and may I add
                  poet as well, your poem truly transferred me into your enterprise
                  and I could just feel the hustle and bustle of what you must be
                  dealing with on a daily basis. You have painted a nice picture for
                  all of us.

                  I am grateful, truly grateful for having such kind spiritual
                  brothers and sisters in our spiritual family,

                  Anita

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > thought. It was so simple and powerful, and, as you said,
                  > > > sympathetic and full of oneness. For Anita, I could not have
                  > said
                  > > > it better, and for myself, I also was very comforted by
                  > Dharmaja's
                  > > > words.
                  > > >
                  > > > Anita, it seems there were a great many responses to your post
                  > in
                  > > > the inner worlds, if not at this site!
                  > > >
                  > > > Gratitude to you all,
                  > > > Sarah
                  > > > Seattle
                  > > >
                  > > > P.S. What helped me out of my fear that day was realizing God
                  > > loves
                  > > > me and is taking care of me; I need not worry. For the entire
                  > > day,
                  > > > I made sure that Sri Chinmoy's music was playing softly in the
                  > > > background all the time at home and in the car. It was a

                • stefanolanzalone
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 5, 2004
                    Got!
                    Thanks!
                    Stefano L.

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                    > Hello Sumangali and Everyone,
                    >
                    > For years I wrote short newspaper articles and e-mailed them to my
                    > editor in the body of the e-mail (not as attachments - long
                    story).
                    > When I used the title of a book or needed to emphasize a word, she
                    > advised me to use asterisks, instead of capital letters,
                    underlines,
                    > or italics, So, a book title appeared as, *My Life's Soul-
                    > Journey*. If I needed to *emphasize* a *word* this is how I would
                    do
                    > it.
                    >
                    > I have noticed my edition of Microsoft Word automatically converts
                    > word such as *this* to a bold "this", so perhaps her advice
                    reflects
                    > some kind of standard. (I do not know the mechanics of how my
                    > asterisks were converted to italics before they went to press.)
                    >
                    > In any case, I think asterisks are an aesthetically pleasing
                    > alternative and wonder if it would be helpful to use them.
                    >

                    > In oneness,
                    > Sarah
                    > Seattle
                    >
                    > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sumangali_m
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    >
                    > <big snip>
                    >
                    > > The word "ARE" is in capitals because it's not possible
                    > > to underline or italicise anything here. That sad fact has
                    already
                    > > got me into a bit of a scrape, so I thought I would explain
                    ahead
                    > of
                    > > time ;-)
                    >
                    > <big snip>
                    >
                    > > With love from
                    > > Sumangali
                    > > :oD
                    > >

                    > <big snip>
                  • assistantmummer
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 22, 2007
                      Great poem, Utpal! Please keep them coming, if you are inspired.

                      Doris, Suchana, and Abhinabha: You know I love poetry, so you know how
                      happy I am to see you writing so beautifully, even under such sad
                      circumstances.

                      I am thrilled to see (and hear) a post from Priyadarshan! Many people
                      agree that since Sri Chinmoy has been freed from the cage of the
                      physical, he can work more powerfully and effectively.

                      Thank you so much to everyone else who is posting: Kamalakanta, Arpan,
                      Sumangali, Mahiruha, Sharada, Sharani, Sarah, Tejvan, Abhijit,
                      Melinda, Shane, Johnji, and Smarana. (Please forgive me if I've left
                      anyone out.)

                      I don't want to clog the bandwidth by writing twenty thank-you notes,
                      but I've read every posting and I love all the poetry and tributes. I
                      also love the posts that just say "I'm here!"

                      Some of us are writers by habit (or you can say "addiction"). We try
                      and put on a little show with language. But you don't have to be like
                      that to post. If you're still struggling with feelings you can't put
                      into words, and you'd like to feel connected to our informal
                      poetry/tribute/grieving circle, just "ring the bell" to say hi.

                      I'm especially touched when I feel in my heart that someone who was
                      struggling to find the words succeeded. That's happening a lot now. I
                      really feel for people who lead quiet, humble, unassuming lives, and
                      for whom Sri Chinmoy was everything, everything, everything! I feel in
                      my heart that some people are experiencing a sense of loss that no
                      words can touch. But maybe you'd like to let us know you're reading.
                      If so, just sign in and "ring the bell."

                      Kamalakanta, please keep teaching me about gratitude so one day I
                      understand it! If it's too hard to put together a real orchestra,
                      maybe you can work with Sukhdev, who has such a great collection of
                      orchestral samples.

                      Arpan, your story was so moving. Sri Chinmoy was always trying to
                      bring more heart to the running, weightlifting, and bodybuilding
                      communities. You are the embodiment of that heart, and your running
                      mates know it.

                      The time of Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi is a very intense time when many
                      people are demonstrating through their work, their prayer, their
                      gratitude, and their words how much they love him. It may take another
                      year to assimilate all the tributes that have been composed in his
                      honour in just one week - by you, the children of his Heart-Boat.
                      Thank you.

                      Michael
                    • abhinabha
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 23, 2007
                        Dear Michael,

                        Look at Sri Chinmoy's influence beyond the grave: he is bringing all
                        us inspiration-group 'veterans' together again! I've been away from
                        this forum far too long. It feels good to be back. And it is truly a
                        joy to have you in our midst again.
                        I am really sorry to have missed you at Aspiration-Ground - I had no
                        idea you were there. Hopefully there will be another time...

                        Alo Devi's words the day after the funeral ceremony really ring true
                        to me. "You have to start your new life", she said. And it feels just
                        like that - a totally new life. It's not just a new chapter, it's a
                        whole different book altogether.

                        We all thought Sri Chinmoy was going to stay with us at least for
                        another ten years, so the shock of his departure is natural. Yet I
                        also feel exactly like Priyadarshan, Vasanti, Purnakama, Kedar, Sopan
                        and Prachar - he is more alive than ever. This is also what I wrote in
                        the little message book outside Aspiration-Ground. "Stronger than
                        ever, more alive than ever."

                        What touched me very deeply during the week of vigil in New York is
                        the family feeling that we all have. Sri Chinmoy has kind of glued us
                        together with his spiritual glue. And now that he has gone, we see
                        that we are still being kept together. Maybe even stronger than ever.
                        The glue is strong, because it is made of love. It holds throughout
                        eternity. (just don't pour any boiling water over it)

                        Our time here on earth is so limited, although sometimes it seems like
                        a long road. But as Sri Chinmoy himself always said, life is actually
                        really short. Let us make the best of the years ahead of us, keeping
                        together as the loving, spiritual family we are and making our own
                        unique contributions to the world.

                        Best wishes and much love,

                        --Abhinabha

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, assistantmummer

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 23, 2007
                          Dear Assitant Mummer, how can I teach you about gratitude, when I
                          myself have yet to blossom fully?

                          May I someday develop the necessary gratitude to make satisfactory
                          progress....

                          Kamalakanta

                          <no_reply@...> wrote:

                          > Great poem, Utpal! Please keep them coming, if you are inspired.
                          >
                          > Doris, Suchana, and Abhinabha: You know I love poetry, so you know how
                          > happy I am to see you writing so beautifully, even under such sad
                          > circumstances.
                          >
                          > I am thrilled to see (and hear) a post from Priyadarshan! Many people
                          > agree that since Sri Chinmoy has been freed from the cage of the
                          > physical, he can work more powerfully and effectively.
                          >
                          > Thank you so much to everyone else who is posting: Kamalakanta, Arpan,
                          > Sumangali, Mahiruha, Sharada, Sharani, Sarah, Tejvan, Abhijit,
                          > Melinda, Shane, Johnji, and Smarana. (Please forgive me if I've left
                          > anyone out.)
                          >
                          > I don't want to clog the bandwidth by writing twenty thank-you notes,
                          > but I've read every posting and I love all the poetry and tributes. I
                          > also love the posts that just say "I'm here!"
                          >
                          > Some of us are writers by habit (or you can say "addiction"). We try
                          > and put on a little show with language. But you don't have to be like
                          > that to post. If you're still struggling with feelings you can't put
                          > into words, and you'd like to feel connected to our informal
                          > poetry/tribute/grieving circle, just "ring the bell" to say hi.
                          >
                          > I'm especially touched when I feel in my heart that someone who was
                          > struggling to find the words succeeded. That's happening a lot now. I
                          > really feel for people who lead quiet, humble, unassuming lives, and
                          > for whom Sri Chinmoy was everything, everything, everything! I feel in
                          > my heart that some people are experiencing a sense of loss that no
                          > words can touch. But maybe you'd like to let us know you're reading.
                          > If so, just sign in and "ring the bell."
                          >
                          > Kamalakanta, please keep teaching me about gratitude so one day I
                          > understand it! If it's too hard to put together a real orchestra,
                          > maybe you can work with Sukhdev, who has such a great collection of
                          > orchestral samples.
                          >
                          > Arpan, your story was so moving. Sri Chinmoy was always trying to
                          > bring more heart to the running, weightlifting, and bodybuilding
                          > communities. You are the embodiment of that heart, and your running
                          > mates know it.
                          >
                          > The time of Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi is a very intense time when many
                          > people are demonstrating through their work, their prayer, their
                          > gratitude, and their words how much they love him. It may take another
                          > year to assimilate all the tributes that have been composed in his
                          > honour in just one week - by you, the children of his Heart-Boat.
                          > Thank you.
                          >
                          > Michael

                        • kedarvideo
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 23, 2007
                            "An eternal traveller, indeed, this is my earhtly name. An immortal observer,
                            indeed this is my heavenly name.

                            To travel all over the world is to be aware of the universal frailties and foibles of
                            human nature and at the same time, to get tremendous opportunity to become
                            more patient, more understanding and more forgiving."

                            Extract from Sri Chinmoy's "Silver Thought-Waves" This is what gives me
                            strenght. I also ring the bell ...

                            Nirmala

                            no_reply@...> wrote:

                            > Great poem, Utpal! Please keep them coming, if you are inspired.
                            >
                            > Doris, Suchana, and Abhinabha: You know I love poetry, so you know how
                            > happy I am to see you writing so beautifully, even under such sad
                            > circumstances.
                            >
                            > I am thrilled to see (and hear) a post from Priyadarshan! Many people
                            > agree that since Sri Chinmoy has been freed from the cage of the
                            > physical, he can work more powerfully and effectively.
                            >
                            > Thank you so much to everyone else who is posting: Kamalakanta, Arpan,
                            > Sumangali, Mahiruha, Sharada, Sharani, Sarah, Tejvan, Abhijit,
                            > Melinda, Shane, Johnji, and Smarana. (Please forgive me if I've left
                            > anyone out.)
                            >
                            > I don't want to clog the bandwidth by writing twenty thank-you notes,
                            > but I've read every posting and I love all the poetry and tributes. I
                            > also love the posts that just say "I'm here!"
                            >
                            > Some of us are writers by habit (or you can say "addiction"). We try
                            > and put on a little show with language. But you don't have to be like
                            > that to post. If you're still struggling with feelings you can't put
                            > into words, and you'd like to feel connected to our informal
                            > poetry/tribute/grieving circle, just "ring the bell" to say hi.
                            >
                            > I'm especially touched when I feel in my heart that someone who was
                            > struggling to find the words succeeded. That's happening a lot now. I
                            > really feel for people who lead quiet, humble, unassuming lives, and
                            > for whom Sri Chinmoy was everything, everything, everything! I feel in
                            > my heart that some people are experiencing a sense of loss that no
                            > words can touch. But maybe you'd like to let us know you're reading.
                            > If so, just sign in and "ring the bell."
                            >
                            > Kamalakanta, please keep teaching me about gratitude so one day I
                            > understand it! If it's too hard to put together a real orchestra,
                            > maybe you can work with Sukhdev, who has such a great collection of
                            > orchestral samples.
                            >
                            > Arpan, your story was so moving. Sri Chinmoy was always trying to
                            > bring more heart to the running, weightlifting, and bodybuilding
                            > communities. You are the embodiment of that heart, and your running
                            > mates know it.
                            >
                            > The time of Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi is a very intense time when many
                            > people are demonstrating through their work, their prayer, their
                            > gratitude, and their words how much they love him. It may take another
                            > year to assimilate all the tributes that have been composed in his
                            > honour in just one week - by you, the children of his Heart-Boat.
                            > Thank you.
                            >
                            > Michael

                          • arpan_deangelo
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 23, 2007
                              Dear Michael,
                              Thank you for your kind words. Until recently I have not posted in a
                              while for various reasons. But your encouragement has now inspired me
                              to contribute once more.
                              Sri Chinmoy has taught us many great lessons and even now is teaching
                              us one of the most difficult to understand and grasp, that is if we
                              are using only the mind or body to understand it.

                              But death, however scary it may seem, goes beyond both mind and body.
                              When it had to be accepted, however difficult, Guru did so like a true
                              hero. I am sure that in his passing to the Highest worlds his heroism,
                              so aptly demonstrated in his life and in his death, is now being
                              celebrated most joyously by all the souls that have been waiting
                              patiently for his return there.
                              This past week which started out quite sombre as we attempted to
                              accept and understand his physical death gradually became one of true
                              celebration of his life and light. We still have all of that in his
                              works and his consciousness which is enough for many generations to come.

                              I saw you in the driveway just before you went into Aspiration-Ground
                              but did not have time to say hello as you were somewhat occupied. I
                              also missed you on your way out but was glad to see you for a brief
                              moment. I think we must have met many years ago when you were around.
                              But meeting you in this virtual world is also quite thrilling as you
                              offer so much enthusiasm and creative devotion to this forum.

                              I hope this infusion of energy and comforting light which Sri Chinmoy
                              has been pouring down on all of us can endure and manifest in the
                              midst of all our responsibilities and activities in such a complex and
                              needy world. You have helped us to feel and appreciate this in all
                              your inimitable creative and supportive words.
                              Gratefully,
                              Arpan

                              <no_reply@...> wrote:

                              > Great poem, Utpal! Please keep them coming, if you are inspired.
                              >
                              > Doris, Suchana, and Abhinabha: You know I love poetry, so you know how
                              > happy I am to see you writing so beautifully, even under such sad
                              > circumstances.
                              >
                              > I am thrilled to see (and hear) a post from Priyadarshan! Many people
                              > agree that since Sri Chinmoy has been freed from the cage of the
                              > physical, he can work more powerfully and effectively.
                              >
                              > Thank you so much to everyone else who is posting: Kamalakanta, Arpan,
                              > Sumangali, Mahiruha, Sharada, Sharani, Sarah, Tejvan, Abhijit,
                              > Melinda, Shane, Johnji, and Smarana. (Please forgive me if I've left
                              > anyone out.)
                              >
                              > I don't want to clog the bandwidth by writing twenty thank-you notes,
                              > but I've read every posting and I love all the poetry and tributes. I
                              > also love the posts that just say "I'm here!"
                              >
                              > Some of us are writers by habit (or you can say "addiction"). We try
                              > and put on a little show with language. But you don't have to be like
                              > that to post. If you're still struggling with feelings you can't put
                              > into words, and you'd like to feel connected to our informal
                              > poetry/tribute/grieving circle, just "ring the bell" to say hi.
                              >
                              > I'm especially touched when I feel in my heart that someone who was
                              > struggling to find the words succeeded. That's happening a lot now. I
                              > really feel for people who lead quiet, humble, unassuming lives, and
                              > for whom Sri Chinmoy was everything, everything, everything! I feel in
                              > my heart that some people are experiencing a sense of loss that no
                              > words can touch. But maybe you'd like to let us know you're reading.
                              > If so, just sign in and "ring the bell."
                              >
                              > Kamalakanta, please keep teaching me about gratitude so one day I
                              > understand it! If it's too hard to put together a real orchestra,
                              > maybe you can work with Sukhdev, who has such a great collection of
                              > orchestral samples.
                              >
                              > Arpan, your story was so moving. Sri Chinmoy was always trying to
                              > bring more heart to the running, weightlifting, and bodybuilding
                              > communities. You are the embodiment of that heart, and your running
                              > mates know it.
                              >
                              > The time of Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi is a very intense time when many
                              > people are demonstrating through their work, their prayer, their
                              > gratitude, and their words how much they love him. It may take another
                              > year to assimilate all the tributes that have been composed in his
                              > honour in just one week - by you, the children of his Heart-Boat.
                              > Thank you.
                              >
                              > Michael

                            • purnakama2000
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 24, 2007
                                Abhinaba, I feel oneness with you as I too have been away for far
                                too long, and I am just now realising how much I missed everybody
                                here.

                                It's true. I feel a collective coming together and supporting of
                                each other that I think we must all foster (definitely no boiling
                                water).
                                I remember being in NY and finding out that my part of the Christmas
                                trip was cancelled, and I could not reschedule because of my work.
                                Already feeling bereft and broken, the idea of no Christmas trip
                                felt truly final. Guru was really gone. No more early morning riding
                                meditations in hotel lobbies, no more coming back from adventures to
                                find Guru in the function room telling stories of His childhood, or
                                His ashram days.

                                --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, abhinabha
                                <no_reply@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > > maybe you can work with Sukhdev, who has such a great collection
                                of
                                > > orchestral samples.
                                > >
                                > > Arpan, your story was so moving. Sri Chinmoy was always trying to
                                > > bring more heart to the running, weightlifting, and bodybuilding
                                > > communities. You are the embodiment of that heart, and your
                                running
                                > > mates know it.
                                > >
                                > > The time of Sri Chinmoy's Mahasamadhi is a very intense time
                                when many
                                > > people are demonstrating through their work, their prayer, their
                                > > gratitude, and their words how much they love him. It may take
                                another
                                > > year to assimilate all the tributes that have been composed in
                                his
                                > > honour in just one week - by you, the children of his Heart-Boat.

                              • purnakama2000
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 24, 2007
                                  Abhinaba, I feel oneness with you as I too have been away from this
                                  forum for far too long and have forgotten how much I missed
                                  everybody.
                                  And I'm so happy to see the return of our assistantmummer with his
                                  heartfelt writing and encouragement.

                                  I also agree that there has been a collective bonding that has been
                                  so powerful and helpful for us all. I know that I have friends all
                                  over the world that I can call on for support.

                                  I wanted to share with everybody from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
                                  about after Sri Ramakrishna's passing.It feels very familiar.

                                  "Sri Ramakrishna passed away on Sunday, August 15th, 1886, plunging
                                  his devotees and disciples into a sea of grief. They were like men
                                  in a shipwreck. But a bond of strong love held them together, and
                                  they found assurance and courage in each other's company. They could
                                  not enjoy the friendship of worldly people and would talk only of
                                  their Master.
                                  ' Shall we behold him again?'
                                  This was the one theme of their thought and the one dream of their
                                  sleep. Alone they wept for him;walking in the streets of Calcutta,
                                  they were engrossed in the thought of him.
                                  The Master had once said to M.,"It becomes difficult for me to give
                                  up the body, when I realise that after my death you will wander
                                  about weeping for me."
                                  Time and again Sri Ramakrishna had told them that God reveals
                                  Himself to His devotees if they yearn for Him and call on Him with
                                  whole-souled devotion. He assured them that God listens to the
                                  prayer of a sincere heart."

                                  Purnakama