OT- Tagore's writings

  • anami2708
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I found an interesting article by Rabindranath Tagore about "Soul
      Consciousness".
      It is from his: "Sadhana: The Realization of Life"

      Here some excerpts:

      "All or egoistic impulses, our selfish desires, obscure our true
      vision of the soul. For they only indicate our own narrow self. When
      we are conscious of our soul, we perceive the inner being that
      transcends or ego and has its deeper affinity with the All."

      "According to the Upanishads, the key to cosmic consciousness, to God-
      consciousness, is in the consciousness of the soul. To know our soul
      apart from the self (ego) is the first step towards the realization
      of the supreme deliverance. We must know with absolute certainty that
      essentially we are spirit. This we can do by winning mastery over
      self, by rising above all pride and greed and fear, by knowing that
      worldly losses and physical death can take nothing away from the
      truth and the greatness of our soul. The chick knows when it breaks
      through the self-centered isolation of its egg that the hard shell
      which covered it so long was not really a part of its life. That
      shell us a dead thing, it has no growth, it affords no glimpse
      whatever of the vast beyond that lies outside it. However pleasantly
      perfect and rounded it may be, it must be given a blow to, it must be
      burst through and thereby the freedom of light and air be won, and
      the complete purpose of bird life be achieved. In Sanskrit, the bird
      has been called the twice-born: so too the man is named, who as gone
      through the ceremony of the discipline of self-restraint and high
      thinking for a period of at least twelve years; who has come out
      simple in wants, pure in heart, and ready to take up all the
      responsibilities of life in a disinterested largeness of spirit."

      "The Upanishads say with great emphasis, "Know thou the One, the
      Soul. It is the bridge leading to the Immortal Being." This is the
      ultimate end of man, to find the ONE which is in him; which is his
      truth, which is his soul; the key with which he opens the gate of the
      spiritual life, the heavenly kingdom."

      Enjoy the daily spiritual inner seach!!!
      Anami
    • arpan_deangelo
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        That was a wonderfully uplifting and powerful reminder of who we are
        and what we should be doing. Thanks for sending it. Send more if you
        are so inspired.

        When I have more time I will also post something more from Tagore. I
        already posted a poem about singing a few weeks ago. Check it out on
        message # 7111 for two more beautifully inspiring poems by Tagore.

        Arpan

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anami2708