How Sri Chinmoy encourage non english speaker

  • koojena132004
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 27, 2004
      To all non english speaker,

      When our Assistant alig.. (Moderator) posted some "posting
      guidelines" I as one of the many non english speaker found myself
      little bit discouraged because I was not quite sure in what way
      should I continue, although non of my postings have been devoured by
      the "aliga…". So this "guidelines" given by our moderator for me
      came on right time. I am completely aware that the posting from the
      non english speaking people can not be "as good" as the posting from
      the people from the english speaking country, but we should be aware
      that we all have different mentality, culture, sense of humor plus it
      is not our mother tongue. And for me personaly the most difficult
      thing is to resent on english our sence of humor.
      I would like to share an event that happened two years ago in NY. One
      dignitary from Macedonia was invited to meet Sri Chinmoy in New York
      and for which occasion Sri Chinmoy asked us (macedonian disciples) to
      perform a play from the life of that person. So we chose the
      anecdote, translated into English, learned few songs (not From Sri
      Chinmoy) for the play and started to practice the play every day.
      Actually to be honest we practiced singing much more than the play,
      because for us macedonians singing is something very natural, like
      breathing (I have a feeling that in our veins there is no blood but
      music). So it was normal that the singing was a part of the play.
      Plus we wanted "the play" to be spiritual. Few days before the
      meeting happened Sri Chinmoy wanted to see on the evening function
      all the performances planned for that meeting. For the first time we
      had the golden opportunity to perform a play which was not on our
      mother language for which we had to search and search for some
      anecdote from the life of that person, after wich we had to make the
      play from that, plas to be with singing. Actually it Sri Chinmoy who
      chose that particular anecdote with singing out of few more
      proposed. And it is another long story (for another posting) how I
      found those two songs. On the evening Function we did the play for
      the first time. When we finished, Sri Chinmoy said to all of
      us: "But you should do the play. So, where is the play??" So the
      ipression was that there is no a play at all but just singing.
      Ekalabhya replied : "Guru this was the play!" Than Sri Chinmoy
      said: "Singing was fine"after which he continued speaking with such a
      great affection and sweetness. I can not remember the right words but
      it was like "I understand english is not your mother language, but
      what you should is to practise in front of the mirror. I was also
      practicing that way when I started giving my first lectures. This is
      the unique way od Sri Chinmoy's encouragements. Always with the
      example of his own life. But on "our big day" because of the time
      limit we did not have the opportunity to perform the play. Later in
      Skopje we performed it, but only the "singing part". It was so
      thrilling not only for us the performers but also for the person it
      was dedicated. .. The tears on the face were falling and falling….
      The tears of gratitude …

      With Gatitude,
      Koojena, MAcedonia
      ------------------

      The Assistant Moderator replies:

      Koojena, this is a beautiful story which makes clear that Sri
      Chinmoy has the same spiritual love and concern for all his
      students, whether or not they are fluent in English. This story also
      shows how soulful and devoted are the Macedonian students. However,
      does this story prove that good English is NEVER a requirement for
      any project? No, it does not!

      Here is the shortcut to message #7432:

      http://tinyurl.com/2z72h/7432

      There and elsewhere I have already explained that Sri Chinmoy
      Inspiration is primarily a discussion group in English. It is for
      people who can submit original articles in fairly good English,
      without millions of typos and other errors.

      Why have I made a point of announcing this now? Because in September
      there have already been over 1500 messages, including many submitted
      by people whose English is horrible. (Some of them have not even
      gotten as far as using capital letters.)

      The non-English speakers are good people, spiritual people. They
      should have an opportunity to use their talents. But English is not
      one of their talents!

      I'm sure you know that Sri Chinmoy sometimes calls for the "good
      singers" to come up. Other times he invites all the singers. There
      is even a group especially for the bad singers.

      Now if I say that this Inspiration group is for the "good singers in
      English," why must everyone give me an argument? Surely those who
      are not good in English have other talents. Vidyutonnati has
      apparently never seen a capital letter, but he is a great musician,
      so let him play music! Here, although we often share humor, we are
      trying to maintain some minimal standard of English literacy.

      But again, there are many, many people who will tell you that when I
      have time, I help them with their English. And in spite of wanting
      to maintain a certain standard, I do sometimes post messages which
      are obviously from non-English speakers.

      So it is a question of balance. On balance, I say and repeat that
      this is a group for people who can submit original articles in
      fairly good English, without millions of typos and other errors. We
      love and respect the non-English speakers, but we are not so eager
      to hear from them every day.

      Thank you.

      Assistant Moderator
    • adhiratha
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        aS i WAS GETTING READY TO leave the house this morning the last line
        of your post gave me joy..

        "but we are not so eager to hear from them every day."

        I couldn't stop laughing out loud.
        Definately the touch of the diplomat with sweet oneness realization.
        Thank you.

        - Adhiratha - one who often does not use spelling checker - but should.

        ps. I can think of many places I will be able to use this line in
        dealing with some of my "user community". Not to mention giving smiles
        to my colleagues.
        '

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, koojena132004