The importance of this site

  • nayaknayaknayak
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 18 8:25 PM
      This site is serving a very important purpose. Do you agree with me
      on this? This site is a tangible expression of our path to others
      and to ourselves. I am sure that there are many people reading these
      messages who are not yet participating. But, even if not one person
      is following this except us, we--each of us--is manifesting and
      strengthening our divine nature through our writings here. If a
      pianist practices and practices but never performs, there will be
      progress, but not as much progress as will come from a public
      performance. To make our consciousness outwardly manifest is a
      marvelous thing. The site does that for us. When we share with each
      other, express our sincere feelings for Sri Chinmoy, tell of our
      spiritual activities, our hopes, our dreams, well--to me that is
      like becoming real! When we "perform" (i.e., contribute) both the
      person posting and the readers get so much benefit from it.

      Contributing to this site is not just something random from an idle
      few minutes. Posting here is raising our own and others'
      consciousness considerably.

      That is my two cents.

      Yours,

      Nayak
    • srichinmoyinspiration
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 19 3:54 AM
        Nayak, you are a kindly and spiritually advanced soul. I agree with
        your underlying sentiment. I might not use the exact same words,
        because if you say that the Inspiration Group is "important," then
        you get people posting "important sounding" things; if you say that
        it's about "manifesting and strengthening our divine nature" then
        you get people posting about how divine they are - which could get
        old pretty fast. What I wrote on the home page is that "Here you
        will find a beautiful tapestry woven by spiritual seekers from
        around the world, who are sharing what Sri Chinmoy means in their
        daily lives."

        That tapestry includes the important and the mundane - the height of
        profundity and the depth of absurdity. It includes people who are
        "manifesting and strengthening their divine nature," as well as
        people who are manifesting the fact that they just sat on an
        exploding tomato! Depending on what kind of day you've had, the
        exploding tomato story may do more to bring a much-needed smile than
        any kind of manifestation rhetoric.

        While I sometimes urge people to avoid fanaticism, jargon and typos,
        I don't insist that everything they post must be important or
        consciousness-raising. If this were a dot-com site, I might easily
        spring for a domain name like:

        respect-the-potato.com

        rather than:

        consciousness-raising-divinity-flowers-of-the-supreme-lord.com

        But maybe that's just my quirky sense of humor. I am an under-
        achiever, and feel more comfortable when the bar isn't set too high.

        Anyway, I leave you with an old joke my cousin once told me: How do
        you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice!

        Assistant Moderator

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nayaknayaknayak
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > This site is serving a very important purpose. Do you agree with me
        > on this? This site is a tangible expression of our path to others
        > and to ourselves. I am sure that there are many people reading these
        > messages who are not yet participating. But, even if not one person
        > is following this except us, we--each of us--is manifesting and
        > strengthening our divine nature through our writings here. If a
        > pianist practices and practices but never performs, there will be
        > progress, but not as much progress as will come from a public
        > performance. To make our consciousness outwardly manifest is a
        > marvelous thing. The site does that for us. When we share with each
        > other, express our sincere feelings for Sri Chinmoy, tell of our
        > spiritual activities, our hopes, our dreams, well--to me that is
        > like becoming real! When we "perform" (i.e., contribute) both the
        > person posting and the readers get so much benefit from it.
        >
        > Contributing to this site is not just something random from an idle
        > few minutes. Posting here is raising our own and others'
        > consciousness considerably.
        >
        > That is my two cents.
        >
        > Yours,
        >
        > Nayak
      • nayaknayaknayak
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 19 11:04 AM
          Dear Assistant Moderator, well-spoken, and very nice and correct
          points. Please do whatever you feel is necessary to encourage
          people to post.

          Yours,

          Nayak

          [Dear Nayak, I'm not encouraging people to post. I'm just trying to
          keep the quality high and the tone non-fanatical and free of jargon.
          I'm also trying to help ensure online safety. My philosophy is "If
          you build it, they will come." The numbers seem to bear this out,
          but who knows? Maybe there would be more members and more postings
          if I were less concerned with curbing fanaticism and jargon. On the
          other hand, maybe I was invited to help out with the Inspiration
          Group because someone knew that in these difficult times, there
          needs to be an "assistant alligator" snapping away at
          fanaticism-in-the-manifestation-world. :-) -Assistant Moderator]

          srichinmoyinspiration <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > reading these messages who are not yet participating. But, even
          > > if not one person is following this except us, we--each of
          > > us--is manifesting and strengthening our divine nature through
          > > our writings here. If a pianist practices and practices but
          > > never performs, there will be progress, but not as much progress
          > > as will come from a public performance. To make our
          > > consciousness outwardly manifest is a marvelous thing. The site
          > > does that for us. When we share with each other, express our
          > > sincere feelings for Sri Chinmoy, tell of our spiritual
          > > activities, our hopes, our dreams, well--to me that is like
          > > becoming real! When we "perform" (i.e., contribute) both the
          > > person posting and the readers get so much benefit from it.
          > >
          > > Contributing to this site is not just something random from an
          > > idle few minutes. Posting here is raising our own and others'

        • sumitramcm
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 19 4:59 PM
            Thank you, Nayak, for your comments on why you think this site is
            important.

            It is important to me in a very personal way because it gives me the
            opportunity to reflect on my spiritual journey on this path in a way
            that nothing else quite does--not even giving meditation classes.
            All those other postings of experiences and comments help me to
            clarify my own experiences. I need you all!

            Gratitude,

            Sumitra

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > This site is serving a very important purpose. Do you agree with
            > me on this? This site is a tangible expression of our path to
            > others and to ourselves. I am sure that there are many people
            > reading these messages who are not yet participating. But, even if
            > not one person is following this except us, we--each of us--is
            > manifesting and strengthening our divine nature through our
            > writings here. If a pianist practices and practices but never
            > performs, there will be progress, but not as much progress as will
            > come from a public performance. To make our consciousness
            > outwardly manifest is a marvelous thing. The site does that for
            > us. When we share with each other, express our sincere feelings
            > for Sri Chinmoy, tell of our spiritual activities, our hopes, our
            > dreams, well--to me that is like becoming real! When we "perform"
            > (i.e., contribute) both the person posting and the readers get so
            > much benefit from it.
            >
            > Contributing to this site is not just something random from an
            > idle few minutes. Posting here is raising our own and others'
            > consciousness considerably.
            >
            > That is my two cents.
            >
            > Yours,
            >
            > Nayak
          • sakshama1
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 19 9:21 PM
              Hi Nayak!

              I cannot agree more with your mission statement for this site. I'm
              happy that many of the contributors are putting a solid part of
              themselves in their messages through their capacity and sincerity.

              Sakshama (another one of Nayak's birthday call receivers)

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > This site is serving a very important purpose. Do you agree with
              > me on this? This site is a tangible expression of our path to
              > others and to ourselves. I am sure that there are many people
              > reading these messages who are not yet participating. But, even if
              > not one person is following this except us, we--each of us--is
              > manifesting and strengthening our divine nature through our
              > writings here. If a pianist practices and practices but never
              > performs, there will be progress, but not as much progress as will
              > come from a public performance. To make our consciousness
              > outwardly manifest is a marvelous thing. The site does that for
              > us. When we share with each other, express our sincere feelings
              > for Sri Chinmoy, tell of our spiritual activities, our hopes, our
              > dreams, well--to me that is like becoming real! When we "perform"
              > (i.e., contribute) both the person posting and the readers get so
              > much benefit from it.
              >
              > Contributing to this site is not just something random from an
              > idle few minutes. Posting here is raising our own and others'
              > consciousness considerably.
              >
              > That is my two cents.
              >
              > Yours,
              >
              > Nayak
            • anitabusic
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 20 2:00 AM
                Hi guys and Assistant Moderator,

                I don't know about you, but I personally do enjoy reading posts with
                poems and aphorisms. I never know which one will be the to hit me
                and give me a boost for the day. Personally I prefer these to
                mundane posts.

                Since I usually read the posts in the morning, they serve as a
                continuation of my morning meditation and help me deal with all the
                difficulties of life and working at a place where people have no
                interest in the spiritual life whatsoever, but only in the material.

                So, I beg to differ, do not discourage people from posting poetry
                and other reading from Sri Chinmoy. I think I am not alone in not be
                able to spend much time surfing through the Sri Chinmoy sites, and
                although I have read most of the poetry and excerpts before that are
                being posted here, I never tire of them and they do serve as a
                beautiful reminder of our spiritual life.

                This inspiration group is a real must for me, and it really helps me
                keep going. Right now I am at a difficult stage in my life and need
                all the encouragement I can get. I post the happiness poems not just
                for others, but for myself as well, and I do believe that there
                might be others who do need to increase their happiness in order to
                progress in their spiritual life.

                These poems are like mantras, and just reading them over and over, I
                feel my consciousness change for the better. So, once again I kindly
                ask, do not discourage people to post daily aphorisms. Some of us
                really do appreciate the effort. I know it is a lot of work for you,
                but, can you not get help? Perhaps another Assistant Moderator -
                Alligator?

                Thank you,

                poetry-lover Anita

                [Dear Anita, it's wonderful that Sri Chinmoy's poems are helping you
                through a difficult period. I know they've done that for me. Please
                continue to post them. But can there be some compromise with you and
                others who like to post poems and aphorisms? Does it need to be so
                many every day?

                There was never any thought of discouraging people. It is a question
                of balance. I wrote: "One can never get enough of Sri Chinmoy's
                superlative writings. If there's a particular passage that you love,
                please feel free to post it for discussion. And when Sri Chinmoy has
                just written something new, people will be very very grateful if you
                can post an accurate version."

                What I'm trying to discourage is the practice of bombarding the
                group with "mass quantities" of poems and aphorisms, posted more or
                less mechanically, often with typos (possibly from Remulak). This
                does not inspire readership. What I wrote was: "I am asking people
                to please cut back on the *number* of aphorisms of the day, poems of
                the day, quiz questions of the day, etc." And again, the reason is
                that too much of these good things tends to drive away people who
                are looking for interactive discussion.

                The proof is in the pudding. No one can say that they're not finding
                poems, aphorisms and talks by Sri Chinmoy here. That will not
                change. I am only explaining to new members that this is primarily a
                discussion group. If there are 20 people posting "poems of the day,"
                it just creates a problem with signal-to-noise ratio. -Assistant
                Moderator (poetry-writer)]

                P.S. I think Anita's posting actually references message #7432,
                found here:

                http://tinyurl.com/2z72h/7432

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                > > > people reading these messages who are not yet participating.
                > > > But, even if not one person is following this except us,
                > > > we--each of us--is manifesting and strengthening our divine
                > > > nature through our writings here. If a pianist practices and
                > > > practices but never performs, there will be progress, but not
                > > > as much progress as will come from a public performance. To
                > > > make our consciousness outwardly manifest is a marvelous
                > > > thing. The site does that for us. When we share with each
                > > > other, express our sincere feelings for Sri Chinmoy, tell of
                > > > our spiritual activities, our hopes, our dreams, well--to me
                > > > that is like becoming real! When we "perform" (i.e.,
                > > > contribute) both the person posting and the readers get so
                > > > much benefit from it.
                > > >
                > > > Contributing to this site is not just something random from an
                > > > idle few minutes. Posting here is raising our own and others'

              • anitabusic
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 20 5:58 AM
                  Dear Assistant Moderator and other friends,

                  I am sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. But, at a closer look
                  at just today's postings, I could see your point. For instance, all
                  posted 3 messages with 1 poem-aphorism per each. Waste of time and
                  space, I do agree. That's why I try to post my favourite ones in one
                  posting.

                  I find if there are several poems on a single theme in one posting,
                  it is not only time-and-space efficient, but more inspiring. Not
                  every poem/aphorism strikes me at that moment, so if there are a
                  few, there is a really high chance one of them will. This is what I
                  tried to do with my happiness poems series.

                  I would like to ask everyone, do you prefer one posting - one poem,
                  or one posting - several poems; on a single theme or a variety of
                  themes?

                  Maybe the answer to these two questions would clarify for many of us
                  what is the best thing to do, what inspires most people.

                  Wishing you joy,

                  Anita

                  [Um... Yes Anita, I begin to see your point... Just not enough
                  aphorisms per post! But do you really think the people banging
                  them out in all caps or with typos can rise to the challenge of
                  posting 10 or 20 at a clip? And how do you think this might affect
                  the assistant alligator? You don't think he might throw a "snout
                  fit"? :-)]

                  --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, anitabusic

                • anitabusic
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 21 12:08 AM
                    Uf... Teaser Assistant Moderator! I was just trying to point out
                    that if someone is already inspired to post a few aphorisms/poems,
                    not to do it in several postings at the same time, but only in one.
                    I do hope I made myself clear now?

                    Anita :)

                    [Anita, not only have you achieved clarity, but the proverbial horse
                    is lying dead as cucumber! :-) -Assistant Moderator]

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                    > > group with "mass quantities" of poems and aphorisms, posted more
                    > > or less mechanically, often with typos (possibly from Remulak).
                    > > This does not inspire readership. What I wrote was: "I am asking
                    > > people to please cut back on the *number* of aphorisms of the
                    > > day, poems of the day, quiz questions of the day, etc." And
                    > > again, the reason is that too much of these good things tends to
                    > > drive away people who are looking for interactive discussion.
                    > >
                    > > The proof is in the pudding. No one can say that they're not
                    > > finding poems, aphorisms and talks by Sri Chinmoy here. That
                    > > will not change. I am only explaining to new members that this
                    > > is primarily a discussion group. If there are 20 people posting
                    > > "poems of the day," it just creates a problem with signal-to-
                    > > noise ratio. -Assistant Moderator (poetry-writer)]
                    > >
                    > > P.S. I think Anita's posting actually references message #7432,

                  • maria_latinova
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 22 4:48 AM
                      Can I jump in this discussion now?

                      That's my personal point of view, but I really think there is no
                      need of overflow with poems and aphorisms of the day, because when I
                      come to the Inspiration Site, at that time I am looking for real
                      people's inner jewels... that can enlighten me.

                      And this is why I am not going to Sri Chinmoy Library online or my
                      library or my shrine. At that moment I need the connection with real
                      people - other students like myself.

                      Thanks for understanding!

                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                      > > > group with "mass quantities" of poems and aphorisms, posted more
                      > > > or less mechanically, often with typos (possibly from Remulak).
                      > > > This does not inspire readership. What I wrote was: "I am asking
                      > > > people to please cut back on the *number* of aphorisms of the
                      > > > day, poems of the day, quiz questions of the day, etc." And
                      > > > again, the reason is that too much of these good things tends to
                      > > > drive away people who are looking for interactive discussion.
                      > > >
                      > > > The proof is in the pudding. No one can say that they're not
                      > > > finding poems, aphorisms and talks by Sri Chinmoy here. That
                      > > > will not change. I am only explaining to new members that this
                      > > > is primarily a discussion group. If there are 20 people posting
                      > > > "poems of the day," it just creates a problem with signal-to-
                      > > > noise ratio. -Assistant Moderator (poetry-writer)]
                      > > >
                      > > > P.S. I think Anita's posting actually references message #7432,

                    • mahiruha_27
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 19 7:53 PM

                        I write on this site for a lot of reasons.  I asked a friend of mine, who helped found this site, who are we writing for?  Who is our audience?  He told me something inspiring.  He said that we can hope that in our next incarnations that we will be spiritual, as we tried to be spiritual in this life.  So,  our intended readership is we, ourselves, as we try to reconnect with light and with divinity in the future.

                        Of course, Sri Chinmoy taught us not to think about the future, and certainly not to waste our time thinking about future lives, which are totally unknown.  Still, I like the idea of bequeathing something to myself- it reminds me of a poem by Sri Chinmoy that I like very much:

                        If you are going

                        To save something precious

                        For the future,

                        Then do not forget

                        To put away

                        A large portion

                        Of your gratitude heart

                        For the person who has taught you

                        The lesson of self-transcendence.

                        (From Ten Thousand Flower Flames, by Sri Chinmoy)

                        So, the one thing I would like to offer to my future lives is a sense of undying gratitude to my Guru, Sri Chinmoy, for his beautiful example of an all-serving life of prayerful, unconditional love.  Sri Chinmoy taught me how to live, and that's the greatest gift of all.

                        My friend also told me that we can feel that the Supreme Himself is the real audience.  To me, the internet is like a jungle.  I stay away from this jungle except to contribute what I can to spiritual sites like this Inspiration forum.  But, if you look at the internet from a different angle, it is a completely non-material form of communication, and in that way resembles what the ancient Indian seers called the Akashic record, a directory or a bibliography of our earthly experiences.  The seekers of the future will be interested in what we have to say here.  Let us continue to be kind and generous to them.

                        A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW

                        A hundred years from now,

                        My highest Goal shall bow

                        To me, to me, to me.

                        A hundred years from now,

                        My silence-breath shall cow

                        Dark earth's ignorance-sea.

                        A hundred years from now,

                        My single Eye shall plough

                        The soil of Eternity.

                        A hundred years from now,

                        I shall, I shall endow

                        My Lord with my spirit's key.

                        --Sri Chinmoy, from his book "A Hundred Years From Now"

                        Mahiruha

                      • arpan_deangelo
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 23 7:46 AM

                          Thanks for the inspiration and information and recitation and celebration and reincarnation.

                          But I feel guilty that I have not contributed here in a while. Life has been quite busy here in NY and I can only focus on so many things at once. But that does not stop me from feeling the same way as you do about the value of this website. I will try to contribute more soon, but as usual-'gotta go'.

                          Gratefully,

                          Arpan

                        • tejvan_13

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 30 6:26 AM

                               Arpan, you are a great contribution to this world! I thank all the posters for their inspiration and aspiration. :) Thank you! :)

                              --
                              Love,
                              Mark

                            • mahiruha_27
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 1, 2013

                                Dear Mark,

                                I feel the same way about Arpan as you do.  Guru once said in an aphorism that "A great athlete is a little man tirelessly inspired.  A good athlete is a simple life sleeplessly awakened."  To me, Arpan is both a great athlete and also a good athlete.  But, to be honest, I've always thought of Arpan as a poet first and an athlete second.  He truly has an unusual gift for mantric utterance.  I remember once when Arpan read out a special poem he had composed in honor of the 3100 mile race.  I think he wrote it in 2002.  Guru asked Arpan to read it out on Arpan's birthday, and I just remember Arpan reciting it and Guru smiling and nodding, indicating that this is how he wishes the 3100 Mile Self-Transcendence Race, which he inaugurated, to be seen.

                                [3100 Mile Race Poem by Arpan]

                                A 3,100 mile orbit of concrete, automobiles and local humanity,
                                Lightly spiced with a hint of nature
                                And fed by the Grace of God,
                                Supported with the efforts of friends
                                Who sympathize with the pain,
                                The Joys
                                And the challenges
                                Facing at every moment
                                This handful of Hero-Warriors.

                                Running, walking, struggling
                                To the beat of their own
                                Undying aspirations
                                In this perpetually moving Epic adventure,
                                These Ultimate Survivors
                                Of obstacles unimaginable
                                Are proving to humanity
                                With their unparalleled perseverance,