24 hour race in Basel/Switzerland

  • shashanka_karlen
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2003
      We recently had our 15th Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence 24 race in
      Basel. 99 runners came from 14 nations and about the same number of
      helpers joined from many European countries. Basel is always a great
      happening where the aspiration-efforts of the runners blend
      beautifully together with the service- smiles of the helpers and in
      the end it is one big family, happily celebrating the golden moment
      when the final signal-horn goes off to announce the end of the race.
      A 24 hour race is a long journey where the runner is taken to many
      experiences and feelings of joy, happiness, delight, fullfillment
      and
      sometimes also pain, frustration, hardship. In any way it is a
      journey
      to oneself where you find out a lot about yourself, your limits, how
      to go beyond these limits and discover new horizons. The moment you
      reach the finish line is full of an indescribable satisfaction and
      fulfillment and the feelings can easily reach the heights of
      ecstasy.

      In Basel we try to create an ideal "surrounding" and support for
      these
      hero-athletes with nice decoration of the track with flags, banners,
      ballons etc., different music-groups (some of them play for almost
      24
      hours !), cheering groups, enthusiastic personal lap-counters and a
      huge buffet with all kinds of foods and drinks you can dream of.

      For many of the runners and helpers Basel has become a yearly
      pilgrimage where human effort, oneness and friendship are celebrated.

      Love Shashanka
    • jadranka11
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2003
        Thank you Shashanka for this beautiful story. It reminds me on our
        Self-Transcendence 12-24 hour races in Belgrade that we have
        organised for 8 years. We used to have the best long distance runners
        from Yugoslavia and Macedonia and many from Bulgaria (usually around
        60 runners). It was always opportunity to share our love and
        friendship that we daily get from Sri Chinmoy through our meditation
        with those who feel and get something very nice from our group. They
        love our races because of purity and oneness and special concern that
        they experience during the race, from all who serve the race
        (organisers, counters, cooks) that thay cannot resist comming again
        and again.

        Jadranka

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, shashanka_karlen