Jharna Kala Food-Table

  • padmasini23
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
      I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
      replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
      job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
      by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
      suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
      kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
      etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
      also a little inner food...

      And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
      cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
      little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]

      Thanks and see you in April!
    • bha15257
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2004
        Dear Padmasini,

        You and your crew did a great job of supplying good food very
        quickly and oh, so conveniently. Thank you for the hard work.

        You might think of adding a protein bar to the selections. I like
        the one called Active Greens, which tastes delicious and is
        sweetened with fruits and no sugar.

        Bhadra

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, padmasini23
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
        > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
        > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
        > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
        > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
        > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
        > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
        > also a little inner food...
        >
        > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
        > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
        > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
        >
        > Thanks and see you in April!
      • one_prachar
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
          Hi Padmasini

          Thanks for your tremendous selfless service.

          Since you ask, yes we would love a variety of shakes. If there is no
          power, perhaps these could be prepared in batches next door, and
          dispensed from one or two-litre containers.

          I like very much Niriha's suggestion also for the occasional
          'specialties' from local chefs.

          Prachar

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
          > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
          > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
          > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
          > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
          > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
          > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
          > also a little inner food...
          >
          > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
          > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
          > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
          >
          > Thanks and see you in April!
        • friederike_makowka
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
            Hi Padmasini

            Are you still there in New York??

            It's one of your waitresses (Friederike) saying hello. I want to
            tell you that it's always a very positive experience volunteering at
            the food table during celebrations. I have worked for that so
            special occasion for years. Sometimes stressing conditions make us
            forget how near we are to our master, but he helps us transcend the
            stress and transform it into real happiness. I'm always happy to go
            to work at the food table, experiencing another dimension of
            friendship with my fellow students.

            Best wishes and thanks for your devoted service! You did your
            difficult task so perfectly well - with a smile.

            Friederike

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
            > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
            > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
            > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
            > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
            > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
            > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
            > also a little inner food...
            >
            > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
            > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
            > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
            >
            > Thanks and see you in April!
          • salil_wilson
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
              I would love to see Gourmet Wraps with avocado, brie, spinach, sun
              dried tomatoes, etc. (I think you kind of had some, but I never got
              one.)

              By the way, excellent job during celebrations. You saved me from
              wasting away many times. Plus close access to bottled water is
              greatly appreciated.

              Thank you

              Salil

              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bha15257
              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Dear Padmasini,
              >
              > You and your crew did a great job of supplying good food very
              > quickly and oh, so conveniently. Thank you for the hard work.
              >
              > You might think of adding a protein bar to the selections. I like
              > the one called Active Greens, which tastes delicious and is
              > sweetened with fruits and no sugar.
              >
              > Bhadra
              >
              > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, padmasini23
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
              > > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
              > > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
              > > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
              > > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
              > > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
              > > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
              > > also a little inner food...
              > >
              > > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
              > > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
              > > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
              > >
              > > Thanks and see you in April!
            • projjwal27
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
                The food table is just fantastic and for me one of the most
                important stands of the celebrations! The variety is great, the
                quality is great and the cheerful staff is greater than greatest!
                Keep up the great work! When you stopped the service a few days ago
                there was something missing and I knew the celebrations were ending!

                There are countless people helping behind the scenes during those 2
                weeks, and all of them deserve a big thanks from everyone.

                Projjwal
                a regular satisfied customer

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
                > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
                > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
                > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
                > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
                > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
                > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
                > also a little inner food...
                >
                > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
                > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
                > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
                >
                > Thanks and see you in April!
              • jaminiyoung
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2004
                  Padmasini,

                  Thanks so much to you and all the others for your tremendous cheerful
                  service! When the meal in the park no longer beckons I can always
                  count on Chinese food!

                  One thing I would like is protein bars or other healthy bars for a
                  snack (still with chocolate though!) rather than just candy and
                  muffins.

                  Jamini

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
                  > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
                  > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
                  > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
                  > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
                  > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
                  > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
                  > also a little inner food...
                  >
                  > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
                  > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
                  > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
                  >
                  > Thanks and see you in April!
                • sumangali_m
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 3, 2004
                    To Padmasini and all the other cheerfully self-giving servers at the
                    Jharna Kala Food Table.

                    Thank you so much for everything you do for us! The Jharna Kala Food
                    Table has saved me quite a few times from hours of tummy-rumbling
                    through functions. Sometimes when there are practices or whatever, I
                    only remember to eat when it's already too late for the prepared
                    meals.

                    The food is always delicious, and cheerfully prepared, so I don't
                    have any suggestions, except DON'T TAKE PIZZA OFF THE MENU
                    PLEEEAAASE. It's my favourite thing in the world.

                    Love from
                    Sumangali
                    :oD

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
                    > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
                    > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
                    > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
                    > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
                    > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
                    > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
                    > also a little inner food...
                    >
                    > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
                    > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
                    > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
                    >
                    > Thanks and see you in April!
                  • sushmitam_r
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
                      Hi Padmasini

                      I'm still jet lagged and have arrived home with fond memories of the
                      Jharna Kala food table saving me in times of need! My suggestion is
                      for more variety of ready made savoury food that doesn't require
                      waiting for the frying pan to be free! (I'm so impatient - I hate to
                      think what I would be like without meditation!) In my opinion with
                      all the prasad we get, we don't need more sugar and carbohydrate!

                      My fantasy is little pies and veggie rolls that can be whipped into
                      the microwave. You know, something giving a little more illusion of
                      being healthy than a pizza does! Also more sandwiches /rolls, with
                      more in them. (They seemed a little light on for filling at times -
                      and once the roll didn't seem very fresh.) I am a big fan of
                      unchicken. etc...

                      Thanks for all your hard work!

                      Sushmitam

                      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, one_prachar
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > Hi Padmasini
                      >
                      > Thanks for your tremendous selfless service.
                      >
                      > Since you ask, yes we would love a variety of shakes. If there is no
                      > power, perhaps these could be prepared in batches next door, and
                      > dispensed from one or two-litre containers.
                      >
                      > I like very much Niriha's suggestion also for the occasional
                      > 'specialties' from local chefs.
                      >
                      > Prachar
                      >
                      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, padmasini23
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
                      > > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
                      > > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
                      > > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
                      > > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
                      > > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
                      > > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
                      > > also a little inner food...
                      > >
                      > > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
                      > > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
                      > > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
                      > >
                      > > Thanks and see you in April!
                    • carr_terri
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                        Hi Padmasini,

                        I also strongly agree with Sushmitam. Some kind of veggie pie - we
                        have something called "pot pies" which is something like a thick
                        soup baked as a pie. I am not sure how these could be easily made
                        at the table though.

                        Wrap sandwiches also with a mixture of cooked veggies and
                        seasonings. Perhaps someone could make a big batch of sandwich
                        fillings, enough to last a few days, using some recipes from Annam
                        Brahma....you would just have to microwave the fillings, roll them
                        in the wrap and....voila! A real hearty, healthy sandwich. Perhaps
                        Samahita could help to bring this idea into reality.

                        Thanks also for all your hard work! It's so great that we have our
                        own little "divine deli."

                        Best wishes,

                        Terri
                        Tampa, Florida

                        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, sushmitam_r

                      • nanditahappy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                          Hi Padmasini,

                          I do not have any suggestions for improving the selections at the
                          table, except some that are not feasable or fall into the category
                          of a "picky" customer, as we say at the restaurant. Every
                          celebrations it seems there are new additions and variations which
                          are always interesting and fun. Primarily, I want to offer gratitude
                          to those who shop, plan, prepare, sell and clean up with cheerful
                          faces and willing hearts. The food table has saved me many times
                          from the effects of missed meals, massive dehydration and aggressive
                          behavior from low blood sugar. :-) It also has the advantage of
                          existing inside the "celebrations bubble." Anyway, thanks to
                          everyone who make the food table possible.

                          Nandita

                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > Hi Padmasini
                          >
                          > I'm still jet lagged and have arrived home with fond memories of the
                          > Jharna Kala food table saving me in times of need! My suggestion is
                          > for more variety of ready made savoury food that doesn't require
                          > waiting for the frying pan to be free! (I'm so impatient - I hate to
                          > think what I would be like without meditation!) In my opinion with
                          > all the prasad we get, we don't need more sugar and carbohydrate!
                          >
                          > My fantasy is little pies and veggie rolls that can be whipped into
                          > the microwave. You know, something giving a little more illusion of
                          > being healthy than a pizza does! Also more sandwiches /rolls, with
                          > more in them. (They seemed a little light on for filling at times -
                          > and once the roll didn't seem very fresh.) I am a big fan of
                          > unchicken. etc...
                          >
                          > Thanks for all your hard work!
                          >
                          > Sushmitam
                          >
                          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, one_prachar
                          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > Hi Padmasini
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for your tremendous selfless service.
                          > >
                          > > Since you ask, yes we would love a variety of shakes. If there is no
                          > > power, perhaps these could be prepared in batches next door, and
                          > > dispensed from one or two-litre containers.
                          > >
                          > > I like very much Niriha's suggestion also for the occasional
                          > > 'specialties' from local chefs.
                          > >
                          > > Prachar
                          > >
                          > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, padmasini23
                          > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > > > I had a very interesting experience during these celebrations,
                          > > > replacing Usha at the food table. It is definitely quite a tough
                          > > > job, but it can be real fun. I am sure that we can improve it a lot
                          > > > by increasing the crew and getting new ideas. Give us your
                          > > > suggestions for: simple, good and fun things to serve [we have no
                          > > > kitchen, no cooking facilities], like drinks, sandwiches, sweets,
                          > > > etc. Also ideas to make it a place to get not only outer food but
                          > > > also a little inner food...
                          > > >
                          > > > And tell us if you want to share with us your self-giving and
                          > > > cheerful help and serve for a couple of hours! [We do appreciate a
                          > > > little experience in waitressing or cooking jobs.]
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks and see you in April!
                        • sarah_inseattle
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 8, 2004
                            Hi Nandita & Padmasini,

                            I would like to echo Nandita's praise of the food table and also
                            offer our family's gratitude.

                            As a mom, attending Celebrations with two children, it is so
                            wonderful to have this fall-back when one child (who shall remain
                            nameless!) often declines to eat the regular meals served. Pizza,
                            for example, is a universally delicious and satisfying stand-by.
                            And, like Nandita, there are times when this table has "saved" us
                            when time and logistics got away from us.

                            Then there are my memories of delicious egg dishes with fresh
                            vegetables, lovingly prepared by Usha, in the morning sunshine at
                            past celebrations.

                            But the most important reason we cherish the Jharna Kala Food Table
                            is, as Nandita points out, that the food table exists inside the
                            "celebration bubble." To that I add:

                            Last year my children helped Sharanya roll coins at the end of a
                            busy day, and she shared with us that the food table is very
                            important to Sri Chinmoy. She explained Sri Chinmoy wants the food
                            table kept open, even if it should lose money. The reason is, eating
                            food prepared lovingly by other seekers helps keep our consciousness
                            high. Now, whenever possible, we gratefully make our purchases at
                            the Jharna Kala Food Table.

                            To answer the original query about outer food, my son asks if you
                            could add toasted bagels with cream cheese/butter to the Jharna Kala
                            fare?

                            I would love "BLTs" made with [vegetarian] Stripples.

                            You are already offering us the best inner food!

                            Gratitude,
                            Sarah
                            Seattle

                            --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nanditahappy