To Bhadra, Snehashila, Jayita, Susodaya, Abhinna, Abhijit

  • srichinmoyinspiration
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2004
      Dear Bhadra (again!), Snehashila (again!), Jayita, and Susodaya,

      Thank you for your messages. To post in the Inspiration Group,
      please first hide your email address as explained later in this

      Susodaya, the title of your message needs to be in English please,
      not Czech. If you are quoting Sri Chinmoy's writings, please be sure
      to quote them accurately, and credit the source. Thank you.

      Dear Abhinna,

      You have done everything right. Your email address is now hidden,
      and will not be displayed when you post or reply online. As for the
      warning that Yahoo gives when you go to reply, please see my
      explanation below - the section titled "Replying To A Message." The
      key point is that your email address will be hidden when you post a
      reply to the Inspiration Group. It would only be visible if instead
      of replying to the group, you reply to the message author or group
      owner. If you look at your message #6406, you will see that
      everything is fine.

      Dear Abhijit and Everyone,

      New members and those asking questions about how to post should
      please read the Inspiration messages carefully. In particular,
      please look for your own messages, and look for any follow-ups
      addressed to you, just a few messages down. It is very, very helpful
      for new members to read the board in order to become familiar with
      technical and other issues, such as online safety.

      There are a couple of reasons why I post the answers rather than
      sending them in email. For one thing, with over 520 members, it's
      hard to send individual emails. For another, I'm trying to encourage
      people to read the messages, not just be "hit-and-run" posters.
      Although regular readers may tire of seeing the posting
      instructions, I hope most people understand those instructions - so
      when they see a friend go online, they can be a buddy and help that
      person out. (Prachar, thank you for helping Abhijit!)

      Abhijit, you wrote:

      "If a person does hide their e-mail, it says we will not be allowed
      to post to the group."

      Sorry, but it (Yahoo) does not say that! Please read a little more
      carefully. I can only repeat that for reasons of online safety, the
      essence of our posting method is:

      - Hide your email address.
      - Post online by visiting the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group (not by
      sending an email).

      For anyone still struggling, here again is the basic posting

      1. Create a Yahoo ID and password
      2. Join the Inspiration Group
      3. Set your member preferences to hide your email address (!!!)
      4. Post online here:

      You can get more details here:

      [That means you click on the above link to message #2485, read what
      is written there, and carefully follow the instructions.]

      Some key points from those instructions:

      - To join the Inspiration Group, please go to:

      and click on the "Join This Group" button. (You may be asked to
      enter your Yahoo ID and password.)

      To help stay safe online, please set your member preferences so that
      your email address will not be visible. AFTER JOINING THE
      INSPIRATION GROUP, just go to "Edit My Membership" here:

      And click "Hide my email and IP address ..."

      Please also check the option: "Do not convert to HTML."

      Make sure you save the changes (click on "Save Changes").

      Once you've done that, you can go here to post online:

      (Do not post by sending an email.)

      Due to the large number of members and messages, everyone needs to
      please follow this procedure. Otherwise, your message may not

      Hint: The steps are in order. First, you create a Yahoo account.
      Then, to do something on Yahoo, please sign in with your Yahoo ID
      and password. Then join the Inspiration Group. Only after you have
      joined the Inspiration Group (and are signed in to Yahoo) can you
      edit your member preferences to hide your email address. Finally,
      you post online here:

      Also, if you're concerned about online safety, you can find more
      information about safety here:

      If you're a new member whose first language is not English, maybe
      you know a friend who can help explain things. Please use the "buddy

      With so many members and messages, it's hard to contact each person
      individually. If I mention people's names, it's not to discourage
      them from posting, it's to encourage them to please post properly.

      If you're a new member, it will also help you to spend time reading
      the messages. If you're having trouble choosing a new topic, try
      replying to a popular topic, adding your "two cents."

      When starting a new topic, you post here:

      To reply to someone else's message, follow the instructions below.

      Replying To A Message

      The above link is for posting a NEW message topic. But if you want
      to REPLY to someone else's message:

      1. Sign in to Yahoo with the ID and password you used to join the
      Inspiration Group.

      2. Visit the Sri Chinmoy Inspiration Group, and locate the message
      you want to reply to. The messages are found here:

      3. While reading the message you want to reply to, hit the "Reply"

      4. Type or paste your new message in the message box, and send.
      Later, when your message appears, it should appear as a reply to the
      earlier message. This will help readers follow the topic!

      Note: Some people are confused by the warning that Yahoo gives when
      you reply to a message. One member wrote:

      "When I try to reply to a post, it warns me that people will be able
      to see my address, even though I hid it."

      Here's what actually happens. When you reply to a post in the
      Inspiration Group, by default, the option which is selected looks
      like this:

      To: Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com

      That option will send your message to the group while hiding your
      email address (assuming you've set your member preferences to hide
      your email address).

      At the same time, Yahoo gives you a warning which looks like this:

      "Warning: If you reply to the message author or the group owner,
      your email address will be displayed in the message you send."

      However, you're not doing either of those things! You're not
      replying to the "message author" or the "group owner." You're
      replying to the group, so you can just ignore that warning.

      All these things sound much more complicated than they really are.
      Just look at all the people who are successfully posting to the
      Inspiration Group, most of them without any special computer skills!

      Thank you for your cooperation. I look forward to seeing your

      Assistant Moderator

      PS If you have trouble using the links in this message, it could be
      because you're reading this in an email program that breaks up the
      lines. Try reading this message online using this shortcut: