Aspiration-Plants #23,154

  • bha15257
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2004
      [From Bhadra]

      "Alas, countless times
      You are bringing thorns to the Supreme
      By criticising mercilessly
      Those who are trying to give Him roses."

      -Sri Chinmoy
    • nayaknayaknayak
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2004
        Hi, Bhadra, I particularly like poems like the one that you have
        posted just below. I think that criticism is so destructive. I
        personally struggle with it myself, because I grew up with the
        science mind that makes points by tearing apart something false.
        There is merit in exposing untruth, but there is certainly a loving
        way to do it.

        Sri Chinmoy once told me that to encourage people in my Centre, if
        they do nine things wrong and one thing right, then appreciate the
        one right thing.

        There is also quite a long response that Guru gave on video when
        asked by the interviewer if he (the interviewer) should tell his
        mother when she cooks badly or praise her anyway. The bottom line is
        that it is not untruthful to praise the cooking, because she will be
        inspired to do something more, whereas the criticism will stop her.
        My own extension of this is that it is more truthful to supply
        loving encouragement than negative facts.

        Here is a poem that captures it all (by a poet whose mystical vision
        has been praised by our Teacher):

        "A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can
        invent." ~William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"

        Yours,

        Nayak

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bha15257

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
          The power of encouragement and drawing forth the positive is a big
          part of my own quest to allow the possibility of God accomplishing
          my nature's transformation. Nayak's comments about this elicit a
          heartfelt yes! yes! and I can think of almost daily examples of how
          Sri Chinmoy guides my life by downplaying my faults and drawing
          forth good things that I hardly dream are possible. Somehow this
          subject makes me think of the following excerpt from one of my
          current favorite books which comprises Sri Chinmoy's answers to
          young children's questions about God. The book is available full
          text in the Sri Chinmoy Library:

          http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/secret-dream-god/

          What is so striking to me about this discussion of God and
          punishment is that it seems Sri Chinmoy is saying that God has no
          interest in punishing people, rather just in feeding them ever more
          light...

          Excerpt from I Am Telling You A Great Secret: You Are A Fantastic
          Dream Of God, by Sri Chinmoy.

          Question: If someone does something bad and undivine, does God
          punish them or do they bring things on themselves?

          Sri Chinmoy: If someone does bad, undivine things, God does not
          punish him the way we would. His punishment comes from some other
          place. Punishment comes from those whom we have deceived or from
          those who have done undivine things to us. It can also come from the
          world or place where there are forces that will punish us. But God
          does not punish us when we do something wrong. On the contrary, when
          we do something wrong, He brings us a friend, Light, and tells us,
          "If you mix with this friend and play with him I all the time, then
          you will not do anything wrong. This friend will always tell you to
          do the right thing." But we do not like that friend; we ask him to
          go away. Again and again we do things wrong. Then forces around us
          and forces inside the person whom we have deceived, try to punish
          us.

          God tells us not to do wrong again. If we do something wrong, then
          immediately God comes to us. When we do something wrong, we find
          that we are inside a dark room; God comes into that room with a
          lantern. He says, "My child, take this lantern, this light, and if
          you keep it, you won't make the same mistake again." But we don't
          like this; we want to stay all by ourselves. So we take that lantern
          and throw it away outside because we like to stay all by ourselves.

          Our individuality is darkness, but we like it because it is ours.
          God brings us a friend to play with which is Light. If we stay with
          our friend Light, then we will never make any mistakes. And since we
          won't make any mistakes, nobody will be able to punish us.

          -Sri Chinmoy

          * * *

          Sharani Robins
          Rhode Island, USA

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, nayaknayaknayak
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi, Bhadra, I particularly like poems like the one that you have
          > posted just below. I think that criticism is so destructive. I
          > personally struggle with it myself, because I grew up with the
          > science mind that makes points by tearing apart something false.
          > There is merit in exposing untruth, but there is certainly a
          > loving way to do it.
          >
          > Sri Chinmoy once told me that to encourage people in my Centre, if
          > they do nine things wrong and one thing right, then appreciate the
          > one right thing.
          >
          > There is also quite a long response that Guru gave on video when
          > asked by the interviewer if he (the interviewer) should tell his
          > mother when she cooks badly or praise her anyway. The bottom line
          > is that it is not untruthful to praise the cooking, because she
          > will be inspired to do something more, whereas the criticism will
          > stop her. My own extension of this is that it is more truthful to
          > supply loving encouragement than negative facts.
          >
          > Here is a poem that captures it all (by a poet whose mystical
          > vision has been praised by our Teacher):
          >
          > "A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can
          > invent." ~William Blake, "Auguries of Innocence"
          >
          > Yours,
          >
          > Nayak
          >

          > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, bha15257
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > [From Bhadra]
          > >
          > > "Alas, countless times
          > > You are bringing thorns to the Supreme
          > > By criticising mercilessly
          > > Those who are trying to give Him roses."
          > >
          > > -Sri Chinmoy
        • bha15257
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
            [From Bhadra]

            Dear Nayak,

            Thank you for your response. I also struggle with criticism, both
            outwardly, and also inside my head. How easy my mind seems to find
            it to come up with critiques of what is wrong with almost everyone.
            On Sri Chinmoy's birthday one year I found myself doing that, and I
            thought to myself, in honor of Sri Chinmoy's birthday, could I just
            stop this incessant stream of criticism just for today?!
            Miraculously, I did stop. My mind became empty, and then my whole
            being was flooded with the most beautiful feeling of overwhelming
            gratitude.

            Bhadra