Spirituality

  • bernice131313
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2004
      Spirituality - by Sri Chinmoy

      Spirituality is at once a simple and a complicated word, a simple
      and, at the same time, complicated concept. Each individual has a
      special approach to spirituality.

      Spirituality is truth-awareness. Spirituality is life-emancipation.
      Spirituality is oneness-manifestation. Spirituality is perfection-
      satisfaction.

      There are two types of spirituality. One is false, totally false.
      The other is true, absolutely true. False spirituality tells us that
      we have to negate and reject life in order to reach Heaven or in
      order to achieve Peace, Light and Bliss in our human life. False
      spirituality tells us that we have to renounce everything if we
      really want Joy, Peace and Bliss in life and from life. True
      spirituality tells us that we must not reject anything, we must not
      negate anything, we must not renounce anything. True spirituality
      tells us that we have to accept everything. We have to accept the
      world as such and then we have to transform our inner world and our
      outer world for God-realisation, God-revelation and God-
      manifestation. It is only in God-realisation, God-revelation and
      God-manifestation that we can have boundless peace, boundless light,
      boundless Delight.

      False spirituality is the dance of teeming desires. Desire is
      something that binds us to our possessions. There comes a time when
      we realise that although we are the possessor, we are actually
      slaves to our possessions. True spirituality is the song of
      aspiration. Aspiration liberates us from our binding and blinding
      possessions - material possessions, earthly possessions, possessions
      that do not help elevate our consciousness to our life's true inner
      and outer goals.

      False spirituality is desire. The acme of desire is this: "I came, I
      saw and I conquered. I came into the world, I saw the world and I
      have conquered the world. Now I am in a position to lord it over the
      world." The strangling vital, the demanding vital, the authoritarian
      vital wants this world for its enjoyment. But aspiration tells us
      something quite different. The teachings of aspiration are soulful,
      meaningful and fruitful. Aspiration tells us that each individual
      has come into the world to see, to love and to become inseparably
      one, to become fully aware of his universal existence. Mere
      individual existence is of no avail. One has to have a free access
      to the universal life within him.

      Desire-life is the life of success; aspiration-life is the life of
      progress. The life of desire constantly demands, whereas the life of
      aspiration soulfully expects. The life of desire demands constantly
      from the world around us. The life of aspiration expects everything
      from the world within.

      Success is short-lived satisfaction. Most of the time this short-
      lived satisfaction is followed by bitter dissatisfaction. In
      dissatisfaction what actually looms large is frustration; and
      frustration is the harbinger of total destruction. Progress is our
      continuous, illumining and increasing satisfaction within and
      without. Those who follow the spiritual life know and feel the
      supreme necessity of progress each day, each hour, each minute, each
      second. A seeker has to feel that he is making progress. He is
      running fast, very fast, towards his destined Goal. He is climbing
      high, speedily, towards his transcendental Goal. He is diving deep
      within extremely fast to reach the Absolute Lord in the inmost
      recesses of his heart.

      In order to make progress each seeker has to have two satisfactory
      friends. These friends are always reliable, most reliable. Prayer
      and meditation are two most intimate friends of a seeker of the
      Absolute Truth. When the seeker prays to the Almighty Lord, he feels
      his Lord's presence high up in the skies above his head. He feels
      his Lord's existence above, far above, his mental vision - let us
      say in Heaven. In Heaven is his Lord Supreme. But when he meditates,
      he feels that his Lord Supreme is nowhere else except in his heart -
      in his loving, aspiring heart. His prayer tells him that his God is
      above. His meditation tells him that his God is within. When he
      reaches his Beloved on the highest plane of consciousness on the
      strength of his prayer, he enjoys the sweetest intimacy. He claims
      his Lord as his eternal Friend, his beginningless and endless
      friend. And when he reaches his Friend inside the very depth of his
      heart, he enjoys boundless ecstasy and delight in his Beloved
      Supreme.

      Spirituality is the simplification of life. Spirituality is the
      glorification of life. When we are in the ordinary human life, there
      are countless problems. Every day we encounter these countless
      problems, and we find that there is no way to solve these problems
      or to simplify our complicated human life. But spirituality is our
      saviour. It comes to solve our problems, to simplify our complicated
      life; and again; it glorifies the divine in us. The divine in us is
      the very thing that wants to expand, illumine and fulfill the
      Immortal in us.

      How do we simplify our life? Is there any specific way to simplify
      our complicated life? Yes, there is a way which enables us to
      simplify our most complicated life; and that is our concentration,
      our power of concentration. When we concentrate on our problems we
      come to notice that our power of concentration has actually come
      from a Source which is infinitely more powerful than all our
      problems put together. And this Source shows us how to simplify our
      problems. If we can concentrate on our problems even for five
      fleeting minutes, I wish to tell you from my own experience that
      this complicated world of ours will not remain complicated.

      Once our complicated life is over, once our life of confusion and
      complication is over, we expect satisfaction from our lives. We
      naturally expect a life of peace and harmony. This world or ours has
      everything except one thing: peace of mind. If we have peace of
      mind, we do not need anything more from this world, from any
      individual or from ourselves. Now, how do we get peace of mind? The
      answer is the same: through spirituality, through meditation.

      Spirituality has a most powerful hero-soldier. The name of that
      soldier is meditation. If we know how to meditate for five minutes
      early in the morning before the day dawns, before the hustle and
      bustle of life begins, then we enter into a world of serenity,
      clarity, purity and finally peace - a world which is flooded with
      peace. Each individual seeker has the potentiality, the capacity to
      meditate soulfully. Some may not know how to meditate immediately.
      It may take a few days or a few weeks or a few months. But no
      individual will forever remain unknowledgeable in the art of
      meditation. The art of meditation is something inherent in each
      individual.

      So, meditation is the way to acquire peace of mind. Once we have
      established peace of mind, then in our day-to-day multifarious
      activities we shall enjoy boundless satisfaction. And in this
      satisfaction we shall notice progress - gradual, continuous,
      illumining and fulfilling progress. When we walk along the road of
      Eternity, what we need is progress. And inside our progress is God
      the ever-transcending Reality, which is the birthright of each
      individual seeker everywhere.

      -Sri Chinmoy
      from Inner and Outer Peace, pp. 13-16
    • joimethod
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
        I am new to the group and I have a question. I would like to know what
        does Spirituality mean or what does it mean to you? I have seen many
        different definitions online or in books but I would like to get a
        better understanding of it

        Thanks
      • adhiratha
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2008
          I sometimes read these posts for a few minutes between activities to
          harvest some inspiration at the end of the day. I also skip around in
          the Sri Chinmoy centre website to feed my curiosity or inner need for
          quiet connection stories.

          Tonight I ended up at Jogyata's site - a personal favorite.

          While reading his presentation on "seven secrets" I immediately
          remembered earlier reading your question on spirituality.

          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/jogyata/seven_secrets/secret1
          <http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/Members/jogyata/seven_secrets/secret1%2\
          0%20>

          I truly hope this secret Jogyata presents is helpful in your
          understanding of spirituality.

          When I first came upon Sri Chinmoy's writing I was also taken by a
          longing to understand. The word that captured my heart and imagination
          was "aspiration". I knew that I did not know what it meant in the
          "spiritual" sense but I knew that I wanted to understand. That longing
          for clarity turned out to be one of my life's greatest blessings.

          Your longing to understand "spirituality" I believe resonates with many
          posting or visiting this site as well as
          http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/sri_chinmoy
          <http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/sri_chinmoy> .

          Sincerely - Adhiratha
          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, joimethod <no_reply@...>
          wrote:

          > I am new to the group and I have a question. I would like to know what
          > does Spirituality mean or what does it mean to you? I have seen many
          > different definitions online or in books but I would like to get a
          > better understanding of it
          >
          > Thanks

        • jadrankagrbic
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2008
            Hello,

            I am sorry I cannot recognise your name.

            Among all of Sri Chinmoy's books, "The Yoga and the Spiritual Life"
            helped me the most to present spirituality to the seekers and the new
            disciples. You can find many simple explanations what spiritual life
            means and how to proceed along the way to the union with God.

            For me, personally, spirituality means changing myself to the better
            one, transforming myself in the way of becoming more aware of other
            people and their needs and not to be focused only at my little selfish
            being, who craves for something to replace the essential thing that we
            all need and miss LOVE, Divine Love, Universal Love, inside ourselves
            first and then from others.

            Spirituality means acceptance of life in general, then the acceptance
            of the personal life experience, no matter how circumstances are
            difficult or easy; the acceptance of God first, and then the other
            human beings as our own, very own.
            Spirituality means, to have a capacity to expand myself all the time
            into the Universe itself, and being able to implement the results into
            the ordinary life, in comunication with people, in being focused only
            in doing good things, etc.

            For me spirituality is the wisdom in everyday life, and it is a long
            way to achieve, but not impossible, of course.

            Having the master as our Guru is, is an open freeway on the
            spirituality guidance that only chosen ones are blessed to have.

            Good luck and all the best in your efforts to succeed.

            Gratitude,

            Jadranka
          • dmchaudhurani
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
              <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > I am new to the group and I have a question. I would like to know
              what
              > does Spirituality mean or what does it mean to you? I have seen many
              > different definitions online or in books but I would like to get a
              > better understanding of it
              >
              > Thanks

              In December I was inspired to explore this topic. I was trying to find
              a favourite poem about spirituality and went onto the library site. I
              didn't find it there. Indeed I was sad to realise that some of the
              Soul-Body Prayer Books are no longer available on the Website Library.

              Anyway I did spend hours and hours researching and copying poems and
              writings which inspired me. Here is a small selection of what I found
              there. Most of the poems and writings I copied are still tied up in
              the web-formatting, waiting for me to 'process' them. If I get time I
              will send you more in the next week or so.

              For now, I hope these poems give you a feeling of the sweetness and
              seriousness of the concept of spirituality which, in my view, is one
              of the most important - and therefore most impossible to pin down -
              concepts in our lives of aspiration. I guess it is a subject we
              meditate on and grow into throughout our lives.

              I would like to take this opportunity of welcoming you into our
              family - which is brilliant!

              Sincerely

              Durga-Mata

              Note - in copying these poems from the web library and removing the
              line numbers and formatting details I may have lost something so do
              not quote them without checking first. The references seem to relate
              to the poems above them. For this reason, kindly consider them to be the 'Unoffical versions'

              24500.

              My first and last lesson in spirituality
              Is my sleepless and breathless oneness
              With the Will of my Lord Supreme.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 245

              16271.

              Practise spirituality.
              If not, your life will remain
              A lifeless heart.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 17

              22611.

              Spirituality
              Is the supreme necessity
              Of the awakened heart.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 227

              22187.
              Spirituality
              Is nothing other than
              A road that winds uphill
              All the way.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 222

              2868.

              The spirituality-lord tells his devotees,
              "My children, let us dream
              Of a higher dream
              And a better creation."

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 3

              36. Alas! Alas!...

              ALAS! ALAS!
              Your insincerity-drop
              Has poisoned
              Your spirituality-sea.
              Alas! Alas!
              Your insecurity-second
              Has eclipsed
              Your reality-sun.
              Alas! Alas!

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from The Golden Boat, Part 15 by Sri Chinmoy.

              25593.

              Spirituality is not meant
              For those who enjoy deliberately
              A mist-enshrouded mind.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 256

              Although spirituality
              Is an invitation to all,
              Only very few souls succeed.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Two God-Amusement-Rivals: My Heart-Song-Beauty And My
              Life-Dance-Fragrance, Part 3 by Sri Chinmoy.

              25044.

              Spirituality
              Means the life's
              Impurity-rejection.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 26 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              1832. An Absurdity

              Spirituality
              Without difficulty
              Is an absurdity.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Ten Thousand Flower-Flames, Part 19 by Sri Chinmoy.

              2327.

              The moment our mind
              Became a victim to insecurity,
              We were thrown off
              The spirituality-track.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 3 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              3970.

              My mind,
              God alone knows
              How you have become
              A spirituality-authority.
              To me, you are nothing but
              A learned parrot.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 4 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              10640.

              Although the roguish mind tells me
              That my heart
              Is in the basement of spirituality,
              It is not true.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 11
              11686.

              Spirituality means
              The complete rejection
              Of God-doubters.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12 by Sri
              Chinmoy

              9660.

              If you can be spiritually oriented
              From a young age,
              Then you will go far, very far,
              In the realm of spirituality
              And God-Satisfaction-Pride.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 10
              1923.

              If we do not continue aspiring,
              We are bound to fall
              From the pinnacle of our spirituality.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 2
              6881.

              The spirituality
              That does not believe
              In God-manifestation
              Will always look like
              A half-empty house.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 69
              15746.

              What each seeker needs
              Is a spotless, faultless faith
              So that he can run like a deer
              Along the road
              Of awakening spirituality-fulfilment.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 158
              11515.

              Spirituality is a game.
              Love, devotion and surrender
              Are the rules.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12
              4916.

              For centuries and centuries
              And centuries
              You did not care consciously
              For spirituality.
              Yet you think that God Himself
              Is delaying your God-realisation.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 5
              9 September 2000...

              My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!
              O seeker,
              Your God-Compassion-doubt
              Is
              Your spirituality's immediate death.
              My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from My Morning Soul-Body Prayers, Part 16 by
              14030.

              It is a deplorable experience
              That spirituality remains remote
              From most human beings.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 15
              316.

              Be a little more careful
              With your heart's spirituality
              If you really want your life
              To become richly fruitful
              And remain so forever.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 4 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              21974.

              Politics is man's
              Man-made power-play.
              Spirituality is God's
              God-made Oneness-Play.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, Part 220 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              10775.

              Spirituality wants
              To publicise God
              And materialise God
              Here on earth.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 11 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              26958.

              God has tremendous Concern
              For my mind
              A novice in spirituality.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 27 by Sri
              Chinmoy.

              9 March

              My evening descends
              And immediately blesses me
              With its powerful silence,
              So that I can run fast, very fast,
              Along the royal road of spirituality.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from My Evening Descends by Sri Chinmoy.
              4. My Lord Supreme, ...

              My Lord Supreme,
              May my curiosity about spirituality
              Come to an end.
              May my heart's sleepless hunger for You
              Come to the fore
              And make You feel that I am all ready
              For You, only for You.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from My Sweet Father-Lord, Where Are You? by Sri Chinmoy.

              14263.

              If you do not have faith
              In your own aspiration,
              Then you are bound to be
              A poor swimmer
              In the spirituality-sea.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 15
              11215.

              Spirituality is always eager
              To serve the world
              And not rule the world.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Seventy-Seven Thousand Service-Trees, Part 12
              A Disobedience-Seeker...

              A disobedience-seeker
              Is doomed to enter early
              Into his spirituality-empty grave.

              Sri Chinmoy

              Excerpt from Disobedience, Time Is Up! by Sri Chinmoy.
              19134.

              You can shorten your spirituality-road
              And quicken your speed
              If you are under the guidance
              Of a true, able and spiritually rich Master.

              Sri Chinmoy
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2008
                Hello,
                As a student of spiritual teacher Sri Chinmoy, I have found tremendous
                insight and wisdom in his writings on the topic of spirituality. One
                talk from his book "Eastern Light for the Western Mind" contains a
                talk he gave at the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica
                in 1968 - the early days of his mission. It is called "Spirituality :
                What It Is and What It Is Not."
                This talk is available to read in his online library of his writings
                at: http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/books/3001/1/1

                Like Jadranka, I also feel that spirituality is a tool for
                self-transformation and ultimately world transformation. Her emphasis
                on acceptance resonates for me as well. With the belief that
                spirituality is a process to uncover our natural state that has been
                covered over by ignorance, it feels to me like a journey back home to
                God inside ourselves. It beckons to see the world as more than a
                surface ordinary reality and to seek truth, beauty and God Him/Herself
                in the world around us and inside our own beings.

                Which readings have resonated most for you in your exploration of the
                topic? Do you currently meditate? Meditation and prayer are certainly
                two invaluable tools to discover what spirituality means to you
                personally - probably much more so than through reading about it in
                books. There are lots of resources about self-guided meditation
                exploration at the Sri Chinmoy Centre Website:
                http://www.srichinmoycentre.org

                Wishing you much truth and light,
                Sharani
              • dmchaudhurani
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 16, 2008
                  Here is the poem I was looking for. It is on the Library site

                  Sri Chinmoy Library My Morning Soul-Body Prayers, Part 9 →
                  4 September 1999...

                  (4 September 1999 8:37 a.m
                  Before using seated double-arm machine up to 120 lbs. with both arms
                  simultaneously and 160 lbs. with each arm separately)

                  My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme!

                  My true spirituality

                  Is the love of Your Breath

                  In every heart.

                  My Supreme, my Supreme, my Supreme! (unofficial)

                  For me this poem captures everything and reminds me of my role in the
                  cosmic drama - to see Guru in everyone, to love him and serve him in
                  everyone - including myself - all the time - and in everything I do.
                  No mean aspiration! I think it will keep me busy for quite a few
                  incarnations to come.

                  I remember years ago, when I was a good runner and got up early most
                  mornings to meditate and then go for a run - (with my famous dog Sammy
                  who was the best running companion anyone could have.) I was at
                  university studying Religion and Art and writing dissertations on Guru
                  for both subjects. I read Guru's books for hours a day as part of my
                  university work. I went to the Centre twice a week and joined in all
                  the activities I could. I was in a singing group (British French)with
                  weekly practises at my house and I helped with the weekly races. I
                  took a turn meditating at the Peace Mile. I helped in giving classes.
                  I experienced a strong sense of joy and a little pride - because I
                  really felt that I was getting somewhere with my spiritual life and
                  being a good disciple. Then I came across a poem which brought me down
                  to earth very nicely. - It's from the 10,000 Flower-Flame series, part 19:

                  1854 Each Thought

                  Each thought

                  Is important.

                  Each action

                  Is meaningful. (unofficial)

                  RIGHT, GURU! BACK TO SQUARE ONE!

                  I'm still working on the 'each thought and each action.' But when I
                  find a poem like

                  ...the love of Your Breath

                  In every heart....

                  it shows me in a quiet, simple way, what true spirituality means and
                  how that goal can be won. It may take a few more incarnations but the
                  road-map is absolutely there. I have embarked on the journey. To see
                  You and love You in all - all of the time. As a teacher, I find my
                  classes of 30 stroppy disafected teenagers an excellent place to
                  practise, and practise, and practise!