OT- Another Movie

  • sarada1007
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2004
      Dear All,

      Here is a timely film recommendation as many of you are preparing to
      run a marathon in the very near future.

      I saw a film recently called 'Running' - it is quite an old film,
      made in 1979, and stars Michael Douglas. It's all about a guy who
      has never really succeeded in any area of his life, but he is a
      great runner. The trouble is, he has a bit of an insecurity/fear/ego
      issue - he can't bear to put himself into a situation where he may
      not win. So, every time he comes up against a real challenge, for
      example when he qualifies for the Olympic marathon trials, he just
      pulls out and gives up, rather than facing the possibility of
      failure.

      Now, in his mid-thirties, this is his last chance to be a successful
      athlete and he once again qualifies to run in the Olympic marathon
      trials. By this time he has also been left by his wife (oh dear!)
      who is fed up with his endless emotional traumas, and his elder
      daughter is so embarrassed by him that she won't even talk to him.
      This time he is really trying to do the right thing, though, and he
      does turn up at the Olympic trials. He runs from the front and,
      although he begins to fade near to the end of the race, he does
      actually qualify.

      So! Now he has to go to the Olympics and face all of his fears and
      issues, and also the scorn of the head coach who was coaching him
      last time he bottled out of the Olympic trials. The movie finishes
      with the Olympic race itself - all is going very well and he is
      placed near to the front of the pack when all of a sudden...

      Well, I don't think that I will spoil the ending for you as maybe
      you will go and watch it one day. Suffice it to say that there is a
      nice spiritual lesson in the ending as you might have imagined.

      Anyway, this isn't the best film I've ever seen BUT it contains
      endless images of Douglas running and running and running,
      accompanied by stirring background music. It is one of those films
      which manages to make long-distance running look really
      soul-stirring and beautiful and you are just DESPERATE to go out for
      a run after you've watched it.

      So you might find it useful right now if you can find it.

      Happy running!

      Sarada

      PS There's a bit of a romantic sub-plot, but whatcha gonna do?!

      By the way, wasn't there another similar film called The Games with
      Michael Crawford? Does anybody remember that film, or am I mistaken?