Some Reflections on Running

  • jogyata
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
      This week has been 'aspiration week' in the Auckland Centre, an
      invitation to each of us to set and reach new goals, enjoy open
      nights and new activities in the Centre and generally rekindle our
      aspiration. I have set running goals - not an easy task in this cold
      winter! - and I am delighted with the results already. This morning
      two of us met up at 5:15 am and drove 45 minutes through a wet and
      rainy pre-dawn gloom to a large area of forest on our west coast - a
      wilderness of pines and native forest inhabited by deer, the odd
      wild boar and lots of small wildlife. We ran for 30 minutes along
      the blackness of roads, the sound of the sea in our ears and light
      rain on our faces, then as darkness receded we ventured into the
      forest and onto some of the narrow game trails that wind for miles
      through these hills. At one point two large black stags erupted out
      of a clearing in front of us, the white tines of their antlers
      gleaming in the rainy dawn and the flick-flicker of their white
      rumps receding away through the trees.

      I was feeling such joy, exulting in an almost primeval sense of
      well- being and filled with gratitude at this enduring gift of speed
      and delight as we silently traversed the dark forest. We felt like
      indigenous man, all the artifice of civilization gone, jubilant in
      the simplicity of life itself and the joy of being. Ninety minutes
      later we came out through dunes filled with tall ferns and grasses,
      crested a ridge of black sand and then out onto the beach where we
      swam in the freezing sea - the cold ocean filled us with a sense of
      physical and mental prana, the healing touch of nature, and we made
      our way back, bare feet in the rising tide, along the empty sweep of
      coastline.

      This 'aspiration week' Sri Chinmoy's writings have provided a wealth
      of illumining insights into the benefits of exercise - and the
      unique benefits conferred by running in particular. One recurring
      theme is the principal of holistics - the inter-relationship between
      mind, body, spirit. The runner can enhance his or her physical
      achievements by tapping into an inner power source, while the
      meditator can achieve a greater proficiency and stillness by first
      establishing a foundation of well-being, and of clarity in the mind,
      which running confers. Consider some of these little 'gold nuggets'
      by Sri Chinmoy:

      "When it is a matter of running, all the members of the family - the
      body, vital, mind and heart - have to work together. It is like a
      family party. The head of the family has invited all of the family
      members to come and eat. Through running, the soul wants to offer a
      feast to all its children. What running is doing is keeping the
      body, vital, mind and heart fit, so that the soul can get complete
      happiness. The soul is happy when it sees that all its children have
      come to enjoy the feast."

      "We try to synthesize and harmonize the outer life and the inner
      life. The outer life is like a beautiful flower and the inner life
      its fragrance. If there is no fragrance then we cannot appreciate
      the flower. Again, if there is no flower how can there be any
      fragrance? The body's capacity and the soul's capacity, the body's
      speed and the soul's speed go together. The outer running reminds us
      of something higher and deeper - the soul - which is running along
      Eternity's Road. Running and physical fitness help us both in our
      inner life of aspiration and in our outer life of activity."

      Sri Chinmoy demonstrates in his own life, particularly through his
      weightlifting, the truth of his comments on the relationship between
      power and strength.

      "Strength is predominantly in the physical, with the physical and
      for the physical. Power has a higher and deeper source. Strength is
      an outer achievement. Power is an inner achievement. If there is a
      tug-of-war between strength and power, power will always win, for
      the source of power is infinitely greater than the physical strength
      that any human being can have. Power can be used in the physical,
      but it is not bound there. Its home is high, very high in the
      loftiest regions of the infinite Consciousness."

      On the responsiveness of the body to the cosmic energy within, Sri
      Chinmoy comments:

      "We can draw upon the cosmic energy by entering into our deeper
      consciousness, the all-pervading consciousness, which is here,
      there, everywhere. It is the inmost consciousness that touches the
      springs of the cosmic energy. If we can have a free access to our
      inmost consciousness, the cosmic energy is bound to come to the
      fore. If you go deep within it comes like a spring, a never-failing
      spring. And when it comes it permeates the whole body."

      And here is an unusual insight:

      "Running has its own inner value. While you run, each breath that
      you take is connected with a higher reality. While you are jogging,
      if you are in a good consciousness your breath is being blessed by a
      higher inner breath. Each breath will connect you with a higher,
      deeper inner reality."

      Sri Chinmoy encourages those seekers who are fit and able to run
      each day, in so doing maintaining the body-temple as a perfect
      vehicle for the inner journey. Running cultivates aspiration,
      dynamism, physical excellence, clarity of mind, happiness, will
      power and determination - exactly the qualities needed for the
      inner-running toward the goal of God-Realisation. In one charming
      analogy he comments:

      "Unless you touch something everyday it does not shine. Often I have
      told people to touch the furniture in their homes everyday. As soon
      as you touch something it gets new life. If you have good health, if
      you touch your health everyday it gets new life. By giving attention
      to something you give new life to it."

      Sri Chinmoy's writings are filled also with references to happiness
      and self-transcendence:

      "True happiness comes only from our increasing sense of perfection,
      which we can achieve only through self-transcendence. Self-
      transcendence gives us joy in boundless measure. When we transcend
      ourselves we do not compete with others but with ourselves. And each
      time we surpass our previous achievements we get joy."

      "How I wish all human beings would run faster than the fastest, with
      unimaginable speed towards Eternity's ever-transcending Goal. Once
      we reach the highest transcendental Height with our fastest speed
      and consciously begin serving our Supreme Pilot at every moment, at
      that time we can and we shall create an absolutely new creation. At
      that time there will be only one reality, one song; the song of
      self-transcendence."

      Jogyata
    • jogyata
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31 3:33 PM
        What a wonderful feature of our spiritual path the focus on physical
        wellbeing - especially running - is! I'm so grateful that here in
        Auckland we have so many wild and beautiful places - mountains,
        forests, lovely stretches of coastline - that offer peace and solace
        and a refuge to the spirit. Cradled in the vastness of ocean and sky,
        how can we not feel gratitude on those lovely morning runs as we
        stride down the wilderness of beach that stretches out to a far horizon.

        This week has been 'aspiration week' in the Auckland Centre, an
        invitation to each of our members to set and reach new goals, enjoy
        open nights and new activities in the Sri Chinmoy Centre and generally
[...]

        the principal of wholistics - the inter-relationship between mind,
        body, spirit. The runner can enhance his or her physical achievements
        by tapping into an inner power source, while the meditator can achieve
        a greater proficiency and stillness by first establishing a foundation
        of well-being, and of clarity in the mind, which running confers.

        Consider some of these little 'gold nuggets' by Sri Chinmoy:

        [All quotes are unofficial]

        "When it is a matter of running, all the members of the family - the
        body, vital, mind and heart - have to work together. It is like a
        family party. The head of the family has invited all of the family
        members to come and eat. Through running, the soul wants to offer a
        feast to all it's children. What running is doing is keeping the body,
        vital, mind and heart fit, so that the soul can get complete
        happiness. The soul is happy when it sees that all it's children have
        come to enjoy the feast."

        "We try to synthesize and harmonise the outer life and the inner life.
[...]

        Sri Chinmoy encourages seekers on his own path to run each day, in so
[...]

        time we can and we shall create and absolutely new creation. At that