Life and hope

  • bernice131313
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      "Life and hope are inseparable. Life is the body, and hope is the
      intuitive divinity in us, the divinity that wants to transcend the
      reality which we presently are. Hope is man's seeking, hope is man's
      inner urge, hope is man's upward flight into the Beyond.

      "We are all walking along the road of Eternity. When an unaspiring,
      ordinary human being walks along this road, he is followed by some
      of his so called friends: fear, doubt and anxiety. When these
      friends reach him, they make of him what they themselves are:
      fearful, doubtful and anxiety-stricken. God is the Goal; He is the
      Way; He is the eternal Traveller. When God walks along His eternal
      road toward the ever transcending Beyond, all the world can follow
      Him, led by hope. When hope reaches Him, God makes hope His dearest
      friend, eternal partner and eternal fulfiller of His Dream.

      "Life and hope entirely depend on inner wisdom. Here on earth we
      have two types of wisdom: earthly wisdom or earthly knowledge and
      heavenly wisdom or heavenly knowledge. Here on earth vidya and
      avidya, knowledge and ignorance, together move, together dance.
      Thousands of years ago, the Vedic seers offered this message:

      Vidyam cavidyam ca yas tad vedobhyam saha
      Avidyaya mrtyum tirtva vidyayamrtam asnute.

      "He who knows and understands knowledge and ignorance as one,
      through ignorance passes beyond the domain of death, through
      knowledge attains to an eternal Life and drinks deep the Light of
      Immortality.

      "What they call 'ignorance' is earthly knowledge, and what they call
      'knowledge' is heavenly wisdom. With earthly knowledge we try to go
      beyond the domain of death, and with heavenly wisdom we try to enjoy
      the Bliss of Immortality.

      "When we enter into the spiritual life we see and feel at every
      moment that God is the Doer, God is the Action and God is the Fruit.
      On the strength of this realisation, we feel we have ample
      opportunity to reveal our inner divinity. A life on earth is not
      meant for pleasure; a life on earth is meant for self-offering. Self
      offering eventually makes us what God is. Each day is a golden
      opportunity for us to bring to the fore a new life, a new dawn. With
      each day we expedite our earthly progress. We enter into God's
      Domain, which is within us, in the inmost recesses of our heart.
      When we pray and meditate regularly, devotedly and soulfully, we
      come to realise that life is not only meaningful and fruitful, but
      is actually God's manifesting Reality on earth. And we come to
      understand that hope is the precursor of tomorrow's all revealing
      and all fulfilling Reality.

      "Life is the car. Hope is the engine. Aspiration is the fuel. God is
      the Destination."

      -Sri Chinmoy

      From a talk titled "Hope and Life" given at Clemson University in
      South Carolina on 20 February 1974.