Re: Inspiration for Projects

  • sunamitalim
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
      Dear Lunthita & Begabati,

      How timely to get your posts--engaging reminders for us to be more
      meaningfully involved with our lives. I'm chuckling as I peruse Sri
      Chinmoy's anthology, "Retirement Not Granted." The first poem reads:

      God does not want me
      To have any retirement,
      Not to speak of
      Early retirement.

      The last poem shares:

      My sweet heart-melodies
      Are the sweet results
      Of my Sweet Lord's
      Sweet Flute.

      Nowhere is this more evident than in the lives of those who have
      found their life's calling and purpose--and with it, the secret to
      living life as true Artists. We see the constant outpouring of fresh
      new ideas from Sri Chinmoy's activities, from sports in the
      pioneering arena of ultra-day races (e.g., 3100 Mile Race and
      others) to his musical compositions, poetry, writings, and

      Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing three artists who have
      also discovered that the secret to happiness lies not in competing
      with others, but in pursuing and discovering joy with their God-
      blessed talents. If age be the criteria of going with the flow of
      our soul's light and delight, here are three good souls I'd like to
      briefly mention. They are sweet heart-melodies of their God-given
      artistry, and delightful manifestations as gracious instruments,

      92-year old Agnes Martin is the doyenne of minimalist art. Not
      unlike those with new ideas to share, artists are vulnerable to
      critics too. However, Ms. Martin steadfastly continues to paint,
      announcing, "I paint with my back to the world!"

      86-year old Florence Pierce still works in her studio, fashioning
      exquisitely subtle resin reliefs much sought after by collectors of
      modern art from all over the world.

      The youngest of the trio, 85-year old Frederick Hammersley, is a
      pioneer of computer-generated art in the 1970's when computers were
      based on the punch-card system. Mr. Hammersley is affectionately
      collected not only for his early California modernist art, but also
      for his witty social statements.

      A prominent museum curator told me, "I'm just so heartened by these
      artists because retirement is not in their vocabulary."

      Here's reason to keep smiling and trucking on!

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lunthita