12-week training - "Full-Cream" week 9

  • prachar_1
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Week 9 'Full Cream'

      Having completed our longest training run, the focus this week is on
      maintaining our momentum in building strength and endurance. The
      second half of the week is a mini-taper as we prepare for our second
      'marathon pace run,' which we will use to gauge our progress through
      the program to date.

      Disclaimer: Never do anything that will harm your health. Consult
      with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.

      *************

      Monday August 2 - light jog, 3 km (2 miles).

      Tuesday August 3 - strength endurance session, 12 km (7 miles),
      incorporating 3 km (2 miles) at your 5-km race pace, then immediately
      into 4 x 2-minute hill repeats. You've got to love and respect these
      demanding sessions to get the most out of them.

      Wednesday August 4 - light recovery run, 5 km (3 miles), and swimming
      session to ease the muscles.

      Thursday August 5 - medium intensity run, 12 km (7 miles) including 5
      x 100 m downhill 'strides.' Treasure each run as a gift from Above.

      Friday August 6 - focus your activities on something other than
      running today. Enjoy some alternate exercise.

      Saturday August 7 - light recovery run, 5 km (3 miles), and swimming
      sessions. Prepare for tomorrow's run as though for the real thing.

      Sunday August 8 - 2nd 'marathon pace run,' 26 km (16 miles) at precise
      marathon target pace. By now we have an idea what we would like the
      clock to show as we cross the finish line of the Big Race. This
      session helps us determine whether we might be on target to reach that
      goal. Calculate the average per-mile or per-kilometre pace you'll
      need to run to reach your target goal in the marathon, and aim to run
      as close as possible to exactly that pace for 26 km (16 miles). It
      will be easier in the beginning and become progressively more
      challenging to maintain that pace. If your goal is a realistic one,
      you should complete this session with the feeling there's plenty of
      gas left in the tank.