Inspiration for Projects

  • begabati
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2004
      I'm working on a great project for August Celebrations -- you'll
      see the results soon!

      In the meantime, here's a favorite poem:

      "Why does everyone need a project?
      Everyone does not need a project,
      But if anyone wants to make very fast progress in his spiritual
      life,
      Then he definitely needs a project.
      When he has a project,
      God cheerfully and powerfully gives him three injections:
      Inspiration-injection,
      Consecration-injection
      And perfection-injection."

      --Sri Chinmoy

      (Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, 1915)
    • lunthita
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 10:00 AM
        Begabati,

        I was extremely grateful to read Sri Chinmoy's poem on projects. We
        have all experienced the hesitation, fear or less-than-eager
        approach we have sometimes when asked or placed in a position to
        serve on a project. The mind takes the lead and overshadows the rest
        of us. Eventually the mind surrenders and we are blessed with the
        joy, satisfaction and realization about the progress we made.

        Over the years I've said to several coworkers and family members,
        "Everyone needs a project." This usually came as a response to them
        feeling frustrated with an elderly family member who seemed to be
        creating more work/trouble when trying to accomplish something like
        pay bills.

        The last 10 years or so prior to my grandmother's passing, her
        health seriously deteriorated and she had difficulty walking. Barely
        speaking English, she insisted on travelling alone between the
        Caribbean (her birthplace), New York, Miami and Melbourne, Florida
        to visit her six children and to sometimes 'help' where she felt she
        was needed.

        Not only did all the travelling worry everyone (once on her way to
        New York she ended up in Guatemala!), it was looked upon as an
        inconvenience. She travelled with tons of luggage and boxes and
        would try to sell things and sometimes even sew clothing. She was
        also considered the 'Robin Hood' of the family--take from her
        children and grandchildren, then give away to helpers, street
        vendors and other 'adopted' ones.

        The question always came up, "Why doesn't she just stay put?" So one
        day I replied to my mother, "She's getting old and it's good for her
        to stay active. Everyone needs a project." My mother understood and
        agreed.

        Those words rung in my mind ever since I was first a member of the
        Sri Chinmoy Centre in Miami. The Centre leaders, Drishti and
        Durjaya, had a rabbit (as well as a parakeet). About once a week or
        so, Drishti would put something in his cage like the cardboard from
        a finished roll of paper towels. I never really questioned it and
        figured that he really liked chewing on cardboard. Once I laughed
        and Drishti said to me, "You know, everyone needs a project."

        -Lunthita

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, begabati
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I'm working on a great project for August Celebrations -- you'll
        > see the results soon!
        >
        > In the meantime, here's a favorite poem:
        >
        > "Why does everyone need a project?
        > Everyone does not need a project,
        > But if anyone wants to make very fast progress in his spiritual
        > life,
        > Then he definitely needs a project.
        > When he has a project,
        > God cheerfully and powerfully gives him three injections:
        > Inspiration-injection,
        > Consecration-injection
        > And perfection-injection."
        >
        > --Sri Chinmoy
        >
        > (Twenty-Seven Thousand Aspiration-Plants, 1915)
      • sunamitalim
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 8:05 AM
          Dear Lunthita & Begabati,

          How timely to get your posts--engaging reminders for us to be more
          meaningfully involved with our lives. I'm chuckling as I peruse Sri
          Chinmoy's anthology, "Retirement Not Granted." The first poem reads:

          God does not want me
          To have any retirement,
          Not to speak of
          Early retirement.

          The last poem shares:

          My sweet heart-melodies
          Are the sweet results
          Of my Sweet Lord's
          Sweet Flute.

          Nowhere is this more evident than in the lives of those who have
          found their life's calling and purpose--and with it, the secret to
          living life as true Artists. We see the constant outpouring of fresh
          new ideas from Sri Chinmoy's activities, from sports in the
          pioneering arena of ultra-day races (e.g., 3100 Mile Race and
          others) to his musical compositions, poetry, writings, and
          paintings.

          Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing three artists who have
          also discovered that the secret to happiness lies not in competing
          with others, but in pursuing and discovering joy with their God-
          blessed talents. If age be the criteria of going with the flow of
          our soul's light and delight, here are three good souls I'd like to
          briefly mention. They are sweet heart-melodies of their God-given
          artistry, and delightful manifestations as gracious instruments,
          too.

          92-year old Agnes Martin is the doyenne of minimalist art. Not
          unlike those with new ideas to share, artists are vulnerable to
          critics too. However, Ms. Martin steadfastly continues to paint,
          announcing, "I paint with my back to the world!"

          86-year old Florence Pierce still works in her studio, fashioning
          exquisitely subtle resin reliefs much sought after by collectors of
          modern art from all over the world.

          The youngest of the trio, 85-year old Frederick Hammersley, is a
          pioneer of computer-generated art in the 1970's when computers were
          based on the punch-card system. Mr. Hammersley is affectionately
          collected not only for his early California modernist art, but also
          for his witty social statements.

          A prominent museum curator told me, "I'm just so heartened by these
          artists because retirement is not in their vocabulary."

          Here's reason to keep smiling and trucking on!

          Sunamita

          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, lunthita