Detached action

  • shardul_nz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2004
      Greetings,

      I feel that the question asked below must come into the minds of
      most truth-seekers and God-lovers at some stage or another.

      Sri Chinmoy's answer is a very poignant and insightful discourse on
      the value and necessity of detached action.

      The Flame Waves series is an outstanding 12 part collection of
      questions and answers published in the mid 70's and is very
      encouraging reading.

      This is Question 27 from Flame Waves, Part 1.

      Question: Every time I act, I'm not certain if I am doing the right
      thing, and I was wondering if perhaps the best way to find real
      peace would be to withdraw from the world and not act at all.

      Sri Chinmoy: If you think that you must withdraw from life in order
      to achieve peace then you are making a serious mistake. In
      withdrawal our satisfaction will never dawn. It is in activity that
      we progress and achieve. It is in action, in fulfilment, in
      creation, in manifestation, that we can be satisfied.

      But we have to know that if we expect something from our action,
      peace will never come in our lives. If we expect some particular
      result from our action we will be frustrated when the result does
      not meet with our expectations. We will feel that we have failed.
      When this happens, naturally there can be no peace.

      We have to feel that action itself is a great blessing, but the
      result of action we have to take as an experience. According to our
      own limited understanding, we see it as either failure or success.
      But in God's Eye, failure and success are both just experiences
      which help to develop our consciousness. When acting we have to
      expect only the fulfilment of God's Will.

      Whatever happens we should see as the experience that God wanted to
      give us. Today He may give us the experience of failure. Tomorrow He
      may give us another experience which will satisfy us outwardly. But
      if we live a spiritual life, no matter what result comes to us from
      our action, we shall be satisfied.

      Let us look at a river. The river flows constantly towards the sea.
      It carries all kinds of rubbish; dirt, stones, leaves, sand; that it
      picks up as it moves toward its goal, but it always continues
      flowing toward the sea. We should also think of our lives as a river
      running to the sea. This sea is the sea of fulfilment. If we are
      afraid to act because we don't want to get involved with the
      imperfections of the world, if we become still and inactive, then we
      will never reach the goal.

      You may say that you do not know where the goal is right now. No
      harm. Just move. If you go in the wrong direction, soon you will
      realise it and go in another direction. Eventually you will reach
      your goal. But if you do not move at all, there is absolutely no
      hope that you will go in the right direction. If you cannot do
      disinterested work, selfless work, then work with a motive first. If
      ego and vanity come in while you are helping someone, let them come.
      A day will dawn when you will feel that the satisfaction that you
      are getting is not enough. You will realise it does not last more
      than a few seconds. Then you will try to work in a more divine way.

      Activity is always far better than inertia. Even if you run around
      like a mad elephant at first, eventually you will start acting like
      a deer and run straight towards your goal. You may start your
      movement with the crude and destructive strength of an elephant but
      you will complete it with the grace and speed of a deer.

      Action is our peaceful realisation.
      Action is our peaceful fulfilment.
      Action is our peaceful manifestation.

      We have to act. If we withdraw from life then we are consciously and
      deliberately telling God that we do not want to be players in His
      Game. God will allow us to withdraw for a few days or a few months
      or a few years. But then God will compel us to participate again, so
      He can fulfil Himself in us and through us. The world has to be
      accepted and faced. If you don't accept it, the world will remain as
      it is and then you will feel miserable that you have done nothing
      for the world.

      - Sri Chinmoy.

      Flame Waves Part 1:

      http://www.srichinmoylibrary.com/sri-chinmoy-flame-waves/part1/

      *******

      Love to all ... Shardul.
    • doriscott20002000
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2004
        Hi Shardul

        Thank you so much for your posting. It becomes more and more obvious
        to me that the Supreme is using His dear instruments on this site.

        Thank you again

        Doris