OT - Soccer again: guess the result!

  • ashirvad_bello
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2004
      Hello,

      Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
      here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
      awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
      August Celebrations.

      As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a continental
      cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa América. Despite
      being smaller, the excitement everywhere around here is just about
      the same.

      This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
      in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
      always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
      between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.

      So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to this
      message with your guess:

      Brazil __ X Argentina __

      Thanks!

      Ashirvad
      the bookmaker
    • prachar_1
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
        Dear Ashirvad

        Brasil 2
        Argentina 1

        from Prachar

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ashirvad_bello
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
        > here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
        > awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
        > August Celebrations.
        >
        > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a
        > continental cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa
        > América. Despite being smaller, the excitement everywhere around
        > here is just about the same.
        >
        > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
        > in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
        > always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
        > between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.
        >
        > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to
        > this message with your guess:
        >
        > Brazil __ X Argentina __
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Ashirvad
        > the bookmaker
      • projjwal27
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
          Brazil 2 Argentina 0

          since I love the way Brazil plays the game of soccer. Ashirvad, I
          hope you have a great 90 min watching the game!

          Projjwal
          Brazil lover

          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
          > here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
          > awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
          > August Celebrations.
          >
          > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a continental
          > cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa América. Despite
          > being smaller, the excitement everywhere around here is just about
          > the same.
          >
          > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
          > in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
          > always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
          > between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.
          >
          > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to this
          > message with your guess:
          >
          > Brazil __ X Argentina __
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Ashirvad
          > the bookmaker
        • ashirvad_bello
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
            I'm sorry not to make this clear before, but the match is taking place
            today (Sunday). So, if you want to guess the score, please be quick.

            Thanks,

            Ashirvad

            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
            > here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
            > awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
            > August Celebrations.
            >
            > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a continental
            > cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa América. Despite
            > being smaller, the excitement everywhere around here is just about
            > the same.
            >
            > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
            > in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
            > always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
            > between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.
            >
            > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to this
            > message with your guess:
            >
            > Brazil __ X Argentina __
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Ashirvad
            > the bookmaker
          • jaganta94
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
              Hi Ashirvad,

              Although I love Brazil's soccer a lot, I trust to the female
              intuition of Gauri, who predicted also 1:0 for Greece in the EC
              final, and the result will be Brazil 2 : Argentinia 3.

              But this is only to win the shirt; inwardly I hope that Brazil will
              win imagining how much joy you and all our Brazilian brothers and
              sisters will have...

              see you soon Jaganta (the other bookmaker)

              <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
              > here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
              > awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
              > August Celebrations.
              >
              > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a
              > continental cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa
              > América. Despite being smaller, the excitement everywhere around
              > here is just about the same.
              >
              > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
              > in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
              > always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
              > between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.
              >
              > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to
              > this message with your guess:
              >
              > Brazil __ X Argentina __
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Ashirvad
              > the bookmaker
            • shashanka_ge
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
                Hi Ashirvad!

                Good idea! I have been following the Copa America quite closely and
                I have also been a big Brazil fan for a long time. Maybe it started
                with the visit to a game at the famous Maracana stadium in Rio de
                Janeiro during Sri Chinmoy's stay in Brazil at Christmas a few years
                ago.

                Being a big fan (and player in his youth), Sri Chinmoy
                enthusiastically encouraged this visit and personally handed all of
                us who were going a soccer shirt. Quite a thrill! Also the game was
                quite enjoyable with lots of goals and lots of excited spectators.
                At times the stadium was electrified and you could feel your hair
                standing. In the end it was 3:3. I think one of the teams were the
                Corinthians.

                What I don't understand is why Brazil plays only with the B team in
                the Copa America?! Many of the big interesting players are missing!

                Anyway I hope the Brazilians will make it. Hmmmh....

                My wishful guess is 2:1 for Brasil

                Greetings

                Shashanka

                <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
                > here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
                > awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
                > August Celebrations.
                >
                > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a
                > continental cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa
                > América. Despite being smaller, the excitement everywhere around
                > here is just about the same.
                >
                > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
                > in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
                > always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
                > between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.
                >
                > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to
                > this message with your guess:
                >
                > Brazil __ X Argentina __
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Ashirvad
                > the bookmaker
              • veigar12
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
                  Argentina 2 - 1 Brazil

                  Argentina have almost all their best players so they should
                  win, but then again it's Brazil so you never know....

                  David

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent guess-games
                  > here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The winner will be
                  > awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given in the upcoming
                  > August Celebrations.
                  >
                  > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a continental
                  > cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa América. Despite
                  > being smaller, the excitement everywhere around here is just about
                  > the same.
                  >
                  > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest rivals
                  > in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those matches are
                  > always very intense, and the results so far show an even balance
                  > between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am not mistaken.
                  >
                  > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to this
                  > message with your guess:
                  >
                  > Brazil __ X Argentina __
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Ashirvad
                  > the bookmaker
                • martinfromzurich
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 25, 2004
                    Argentina 2 - 2 Brazil after 90 min.
                    But finally Brazil will win.
                    This is what I guess.

                    > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ashirvad_bello
                    > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent
                    > > guess-games here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The
                    > > winner will be awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given
                    > > in the upcoming August Celebrations.
                    > >
                    > > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a
                    > > continental cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa
                    > > América. Despite being smaller, the excitement everywhere around
                    > > here is just about the same.
                    > >
                    > > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest
                    > > rivals in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those
                    > > matches are always very intense, and the results so far show an
                    > > even balance between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am
                    > > not mistaken.
                    > >
                    > > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to
                    > > this message with your guess:
                    > >
                    > > Brazil __ X Argentina __
                    > >
                    > > Thanks!
                    > >
                    > > Ashirvad
                    > > the bookmaker
                  • ashirvad_bello
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 26, 2004
                      Dear soccer-friends,

                      Yesterday's match was the most unusual and exciting I have ever
                      witnessed. Brazil couldn't count on many of its stars, as the two
                      Ronaldos, Roberto Carlos and Kaka, were all in Europe. Actually,
                      what we got was more like a reserve team. On the other hand, there
                      was Argentina's full power to deal with. Every one of their players
                      was ready to take this match extremely seriously, since they had
                      lost 3-1 to Brazil just two months ago (in the World Cup qualifier)
                      and the country has not won a major international championship for
                      over 11 years.

                      It seemed like it would be a tough game, but the Argentinians would
                      come out victorious at the end. And that is what almost happened.

                      In the first half, there was tremendous pressure, and after a
                      fouling tackle from a Brazilian defender on the penalty box,
                      Argentina scored its first goal on a precise penalty-kick. When
                      everybody was getting ready for the intermission, Brazil managed to
                      score a wonderful header at the injury time (46'). Right after the
                      goal, the referee blew his whistle.

                      This gave some extra confidence to the Brazilian players, who came
                      back for the second half much more determined. The match got very
                      balanced, with both teams at 85' looking comfortable with the draw,
                      which would take the decision to the penalty kicks.

                      But Brazil's young defense players made a bad mistake at 87', and
                      Argentinian striker Delgado had no problem scoring his goal
                      unchecked. With only three minutes to go, all seemed lost. The
                      Argentinian players started then to provoke the Brazilians, playing
                      tricks with the ball. This infuriated the Brazilians, who started
                      pressing a lot harder. Then, 2 minutes into injury time, the ball
                      was crossed on Argentina's box. Brazilian striker Adriano hit a
                      superb half-volley, which rendered the goalkeeper motionless. This
                      got the score even again at 92', again just before the referee blew
                      his whistle.

                      The shocked Argentinians could not believe what had just happened,
                      and lined up for the penalty decision completely desolate, as
                      opposed to the effulgent Brazilians. The result became evident as
                      they missed their first two kicks. After scoring all its first 4
                      kicks, Brazil was finally awarded the Copa América.

                      This reminded me of the surprising last minutes of the England-
                      France match at Euro 2004, and is a great example of how exciting
                      and surprising any match can be. I am eternally grateful to the
                      British for having invented this wonderful game!

                      Now, we come to the prize! I want to thank everybody who
                      participated in the score-guessing. From all the answers, Martin
                      from Zurich was the only one to guess the precise result. However,
                      judging by the posting time, there's a little suspicion in the back
                      of my head that it happened AFTER the match was over... :-) Martin,
                      please be sincere and tell me whether by some way you could have
                      known the result before you posted your message.

                      Thanks!

                      Ashirvad
                      who loves surprising endings

                      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, ashirvad_bello
                      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > > Hello,
                      > >
                      > > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent
                      > > guess-games here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The
                      > > winner will be awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given
                      > > in the upcoming August Celebrations.
                      > >
                      > > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a
                      > > continental cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa
                      > > América. Despite being smaller, the excitement everywhere around
                      > > here is just about the same.
                      > >
                      > > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest
                      > > rivals in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those
                      > > matches are always very intense, and the results so far show an
                      > > even balance between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am
                      > > not mistaken.
                      > >
                      > > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to
                      > > this message with your guess:
                      > >
                      > > Brazil __ X Argentina __
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      > >
                      > > Ashirvad
                      > > the bookmaker
                    • martinfromzurich
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 27, 2004
                        Dear Ashirvad

                        In Switzerland it was not yet midnight when I posted my guess. I
                        remember thinking, that you have less than 6 PM, so I will not be
                        too late. However, I do not need the shirt.

                        If you desperately want to give it to somebody, then give it to
                        somebody who will get real joy from it.

                        Greetings Martin

                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > > > Hello,
                        > > >
                        > > > Being a soccer enthusiast, and inspired by the recent
                        > > > guess-games here at the group, I am proposing a new game. The
                        > > > winner will be awarded a yellow Brazil team jersey, to be given
                        > > > in the upcoming August Celebrations.
                        > > >
                        > > > As some might know, here in Latin America we also have a
                        > > > continental cup, a smaller version of the Euro Cup called Copa
                        > > > América. Despite being smaller, the excitement everywhere around
                        > > > here is just about the same.
                        > > >
                        > > > This year the final will be decided between the two biggest
                        > > > rivals in the whole continent: Brazil and Argentina. Those
                        > > > matches are always very intense, and the results so far show an
                        > > > even balance between the two nations: 35 wins each side, if I am
                        > > > not mistaken.
                        > > >
                        > > > So, since the match is tomorrow evening, be quick and reply to

                      • ashirvad_bello
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 27, 2004
                          Hello Martin,

                          I am very sorry to have suspected your guess. Please accept my
                          apology...

                          You definitely have a great talent in score-guessing! It is no joke
                          to predict the result for a match, and specially for this one, I
                          would never be able to get it right.

                          I am sure you are a great soccer fan, and I will be very happy to
                          give you the jersey in NY.

                          Thanks,

                          Ashirvad

                          --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, martinfromzurich

                        • jaganta94
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 27, 2004
                            Hi Martin,

                            If you really don't need the shirt you can donate it to me.
                            You can be sure, I will get real joy from it...
                            But anyway compliments for that exact guess..

                            Grande Brasil

                            Jaganta, who loves soccer shirts and shares joy with all Brazilians

                            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                            > > > became evident as they missed their first two kicks. After
                            > > > scoring all its first 4 kicks, Brazil was finally awarded the
                            > > > Copa América.
                            > > >
                            > > > This reminded me of the surprising last minutes of the
                            > > > England- France match at Euro 2004, and is a great example of
                            > > > how exciting and surprising any match can be. I am eternally
                            > > > grateful to the British for having invented this wonderful
                            > > > game!
                            > > >
                            > > > Now, we come to the prize! I want to thank everybody who
                            > > > participated in the score-guessing. From all the answers,
                            > > > Martin from Zurich was the only one to guess the precise
                            > > > result. However, judging by the posting time, there's a little
                            > > > suspicion in the back of my head that it happened AFTER the
                            > > > match was over... :-) Martin, please be sincere and tell me
                            > > > whether by some way you could have known the result before you

                          • martinfromzurich
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 29, 2004
                              Hi Jaganta

                              Since Ashirvad is so determined to give the shirt, I will definitely
                              get it and it will be more than a pleasure for me to give it to
                              somebody who will get REAL joy from it. So just find me at the
                              celebration.

                              Greetings Martin

                              --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, jaganta94

                            • jaganta94
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 2, 2004
                                Hi Martin,

                                I got your message a litle late but I got it.

                                Thank you, Thank you, Thaaaaank youuuuu....

                                I have no words for your selflessness, but according to cosmic laws
                                I cannot accept your gift without giving you something back. What
                                about an original lava stone from Mount Etna's last eruption of 2002
                                (tourists are getting crazy for it). Or do you like good
                                decaffeinated espresso coffee or some delicious almond sweets...
                                please let me know. If all this is nothing for you, I will offer you
                                now an insight into my precious private soccer shirt collection.

                                From worst to best:

                                - Ajax Amsterdamm, red white, bad fake, 2 dollars in NY

                                - AS Rome, vine red, bad fake, backnumber 10 Nakata

                                - Italian national team, good fake, blue (azzuro), backnumber 10
                                Totti. If someone is interested in it let me know. I would exchange
                                it for a FC Bayern Munich shirt (I was born there physically and
                                spiritually) or AC Milan or Greece national team (EC 2004
                                winner)...

                                - Brazilian national team, yellow, good fake, I got it from Ashirvad
                                two years ago in NY, 20 bucks... Ashirvad, if you read this message
                                please make sure that you bring the blue version of the jersey...
                                thanks.

                                - AS Rome, red yellow, champions league version, very good fake, I
                                got it in Malaysia. Oh I gave it to Stefano C. from Rome who is a
                                great AS Rome fan

                                - Italian national team, white, original but old version, too
                                expensive...

                                - Italian national team, blue (azzuro), good fake, plain

                                - Italian national team, white, good fake, plain, both in Bali -
                                good price...

                                - SRI CHINMOY LIONS, baby blue with a yellow lion on the front, more
                                than original, backnumber 7, I got it on a joy day from Shika's
                                table, most favorite....

                                Thanks again and greetings to all soccer lovers..

                                Jaganta, soccer shirt winner