Re: How to Conquer Doubt - continuium and reiterative interpretation

  • Adhiratha Keefe
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 6, 2003
      I wonder if it is not really opposits but just a manner of viewing
      different parts of the same process.

      aaaa Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that "we are all
      philosophers, for there is nobody on earth who has not doubted at
      least once. So, in that respect, we are all philosophers---"
      bbbb The examples of great thinkers you noted discovered something
      important --- must have sensed the limitiations of the then current
      explanations as insufficent to explain or embody something.
      [ This could be like saying the world is maya [which I understood to
      be implying unreality] doesn't mean the world is "unreal" but that a
      maya view does not extend far enough to encompass all of reality.

      cccc It seems doubt can be usefull if it leads to [or is the result
      of] an awaraness of the insufficency of the current knowledge. The
      danger is that one stops at that stage of the process and gets caught
      in the doubt or despairs of ever being able to understand. In that
      sense one would not be open to "seeing" and miss the "eureka
      experience".

      So the response to doubt would seem to be the key - does one who
      first doubts, then choose to nurish the "eagerness to discover the
      truth" as you experssed it...

      On a second step of the creative - intutitive process: after these
      wonderfull intutiive leaders have had their "eurika" they have often
      gone about showing the rest of us sloooooooow learners many different
      ways to see this same rality. Sometimes using the tools of their
      trade [science, sport, art] to explain what is is that they saw in
      their initial intuitive flash....So they come back to earth and show
      us other proofs and that may be what "upasito" > <THELl0NHEART@" was
      observing. The lone seer poet or intuitive thinker, brings back the
      vision and demonstrates it enough different ways that the road sign
      slowly becomes a highway of proofs until most say this expanded
      vision is "intuitively" obvious.

      In some ways that is what it appears that Sri Chinmoy is constantly
      doing after his continuous inner experience which is so all
      encompassing. His many differnt activities [art - music - sports -
      dedicated service] are there to help us "extend" our ability to see
      ways to go beyond our initial doubts and to discover the "proof..

      If one must go against the status quo and suspend belief in a limited
      and unfulfilling explantation to get closer to the truth, it seems
      one must also then suspend "doubt" to be open to a more fulfilling
      truth entering.

      But thinking about all that might give someone a headache :-) --- so
      thank God for the simplicity of the heart, grace and the poise of
      meditation to keep it all in balance.
      - Adhiratha

      In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "agrahaj" <agraha@b...>
      wrote:
> [...]
      > even by thinking in the way we imagine it. He discovered these laws
      > through a kinesthetic motion of his hands through space!
      >
      > I must say that my day-to-day maintenance activities are well-
      served
      > by my mind--but not the doubting mind. For me, the doubting mind
      > only hurts and divides.
      >
      > Even in day to day life, we all know that most things are decided
      > within seconds of our meeting and speaking with people from
      people's
      > inner feelings. Then we use the mind to rationalise what we have
      > done.
      >
      > Truth to tell, even with a rigorous study of the greatest
      scientific
      > creators, it is the intuitive heart that is the channel for their
      > greatest discoveries.
      >
      > One other important point is that the discoverers and pioneers most
      > all report that they are in a wonderful flow that somehow unites
      > them with the entire world when these magnificent creative moments
      > come. Many say that they must work very, very hard and then simply
      > listen to the universe to get the answers. This, in my heart, is
      > clearly the Supreme who is offering new Wisdom-Light to humanity in
      > and through his choice instruments!
      >
      > With best regards,
      >
      > Agraha
      >
      > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "upasito"
      > <THELl0NHEART@a...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I think for a person of science,it is alright to start with
      > > doubt; then when the proof has been obtained, the doubt will be
      > > dispelled automatically.
      > >
      > > --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "nayak_lp"
      > > <nayak_lp@y...> wrote:
      > > > Doubt is the worst. Absolutely the worst. (Well, maybe pride
      > is
      > > > tied.) Having been raised in the scientific spirit and trained
      > > > doubt, and having learned some good doubt karate kicks and
      > punches
      > > > fend my way through graduate school, I can verify that it is a
      > hard
      > > > habit to kick. It always seems safer to draw back and not
      > accept
      > > > something (doubt it) than to jump in on it.
      > > >
      > > > I must say that it is taking years and very rosey rewards of
      > > progress
      > > > under the faith-filled tutelage of Sri Chinmoy to kick the
      doubt
      > > > habit (tougher than stopping smoking, which I did stop years
      > ago).
      > > >
      > > > I find that the best antidote to doubt is the company of
      > spiritual
      > > > people, who will always try to have faith in something and move
      > > > forward through intuition, hope, with some delightful risk-
      > taking
      > > at
      > > > times. A doubter will always remain with his doubt and never
      > enjoy
      > > > the worlds that his doubt destroys.
      > > >
      > > > Priyadarshan, thank you for this reminder.

      Chinmoy's