Re: How to Conquer Doubt

  • upasito
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
      I think for a person of science,it is alright to start with
      doubt; then when the proof has been obtained, the doubt will be
      dispelled automatically.

      --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "nayak_lp"

    • agrahaj
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2003
        Dear Upasito,

        Thank you for your posting. I feel quite the opposite to what you
        have said, and I feel your point is very, very important. I have
        been trained quite rigorously in science for many, many years...in
        an MD-PhD research programme.

        Every single one of the greatest discoveries and contributions which
        I made--and they are actually quite miniscule in the larger scheme,
        but were quite large for me personally at the time--each
        contribution has come from the intuitive heart.

        I was fascinated to learn about how the greatest creative
        discoveries in the sciences and arts have been made...they have all
        been made through intuition, heartfelt and often desperate eagerness
        to discover the truth. Archimedes was the greatest mathematician of
        ancient times, and he discovered the Law of Buoyancy. He made his
        discovery when he got into his bathtub. He was so thrilled, that he
        ran out into the streets shouting "Eureka!" --I have found it!!!

        Albert Einstein discovered his Laws of Relativity not by doubting or
        even by thinking in the way we imagine it. He discovered these laws
        through a kinesthetic motion of his hands through space!

        I must say that my day-to-day maintenance activities are well-served
        by my mind--but not the doubting mind. For me, the doubting mind
        only hurts and divides.

        Even in day to day life, we all know that most things are decided
        within seconds of our meeting and speaking with people from people's
        inner feelings. Then we use the mind to rationalise what we have
        done.

        Truth to tell, even with a rigorous study of the greatest scientific
        creators, it is the intuitive heart that is the channel for their
        greatest discoveries.

        One other important point is that the discoverers and pioneers most
        all report that they are in a wonderful flow that somehow unites
        them with the entire world when these magnificent creative moments
        come. Many say that they must work very, very hard and then simply
        listen to the universe to get the answers. This, in my heart, is
        clearly the Supreme who is offering new Wisdom-Light to humanity in
        and through his choice instruments!

        With best regards,

        Agraha

        --- In Sri_Chinmoy_Inspiration@yahoogroups.com, "upasito"
        <THELl0NHEART@a...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > to consciously house divine thoughts, divine ideas,
        > > > and divine ideals. Then doubt will not be able to breathe
        > > > in the mind.
        > > >
        > > > The heart. Each moment we have to make the heart soulful
        > > > so that we can easily conquer doubt in the heart. The
        > > > heart has to offer the message of sacrifice for others,
        > > > for the rest of the world; and while sacrificing his
        > > > very life breath, a sincere seeker feels that he is
        > > > not sacrificing anything, he is just expanding his own
        > > > inner consciousness and fulfilling himself here on earth.
        > > >
        > > > Doubt can be conquered. It has to be conquered. How?
        > > > The only answer is constant and soulful concentration
        > > > on the mind, meditation on the heart, and contemplation
        > > > on the entire being.
        > > >

        > > > [message sent by priyadarshan]
        > > >
        > > > ------
        > > > A few links to good sites about Sri Chinmoy, and Sri Chinmoy's

      • Adhiratha Keefe
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2003
          I wonder if it is not really opposits but just a manner of viewing
          different parts of the same process.

          aaaa Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that "we are all
          philosophers, for there is nobody on earth who has not doubted at
          least once. So, in that respect, we are all philosophers---"
          bbbb The examples of great thinkers you noted discovered something
          important --- must have sensed the limitiations of the then current
          explanations as insufficent to explain or embody something.
          [ This could be like saying the world is maya [which I understood to
          be implying unreality] doesn't mean the world is "unreal" but that a
          maya view does not extend far enough to encompass all of reality.

          cccc It seems doubt can be usefull if it leads to [or is the result
          of] an awaraness of the insufficency of the current knowledge. The
          danger is that one stops at that stage of the process and gets caught
          in the doubt or despairs of ever being able to understand. In that
          sense one would not be open to "seeing" and miss the "eureka
          experience".

          So the response to doubt would seem to be the key - does one who
          first doubts, then choose to nurish the "eagerness to discover the
          truth" as you experssed it...

          On a second step of the creative - intutitive process: after these
          wonderfull intutiive leaders have had their "eurika" they have often
          gone about showing the rest of us sloooooooow learners many different
          ways to see this same rality. Sometimes using the tools of their
          trade [science, sport, art] to explain what is is that they saw in
          their initial intuitive flash....So they come back to earth and show
          us other proofs and that may be what "upasito" > <THELl0NHEART@" was
          observing. The lone seer poet or intuitive thinker, brings back the
          vision and demonstrates it enough different ways that the road sign
          slowly becomes a highway of proofs until most say this expanded
          vision is "intuitively" obvious.

          In some ways that is what it appears that Sri Chinmoy is constantly
          doing after his continuous inner experience which is so all
          encompassing. His many differnt activities [art - music - sports -
          dedicated service] are there to help us "extend" our ability to see
          ways to go beyond our initial doubts and to discover the "proof..

          If one must go against the status quo and suspend belief in a limited
          and unfulfilling explantation to get closer to the truth, it seems
          one must also then suspend "doubt" to be open to a more fulfilling
          truth entering.

          But thinking about all that might give someone a headache :-) --- so
          thank God for the simplicity of the heart, grace and the poise of
          meditation to keep it all in balance.
          - Adhiratha